Building up an old hilux

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Kyle-504
I'm new, be nice!

Building up an old hilux

Unread post by Kyle-504 » January 17th, 2016, 9:06 pm

Has anybody built up an old Hilux that was old an beaten up? Or what roughly would it cost to fix up an old Diesel with light rust & is running but has old & frail parts?

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: Building up an old hilux

Unread post by typhoeus » January 17th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Kyle, Lots of people here have fixed up old hiluxes, The cost? well how much do you want to spend? Are you going to pay to fix it, or can you do work yourself? how pretty do you want to make it? If you don't mind it being a bit rough but fuctional, there is a lot you can do yourself and save a heap.
So its a runner, has it got brakes? what about tires? where is the rust? is it rusted thru or surface rust that can be sanded off? Do you want to register it? there is a lot to consider and a bit more info would be very handy so we can give you some useful good advice :D

Kyle-504
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Kyle-504 » January 17th, 2016, 11:36 pm

Thanks for the help, I don't own the vehicle but plan on buying this particular one. I think I could get it for $1000-$2500, i'm going to do the work myself & with a friend. I'm not looking for anything too pretty for now, just something that can get to lots of places & hold together well.
It's a runner it has everything it needs just not in the best condition, so i'll be replacing the parts that are most important which i'm not sure which parts they will be just yet, so really the question is are hilux parts relatively cheap seeing they are common? (Don't know alot about 4x4's, & I hope to learn) The rust i'm pretty sure is just surface rust, i'd have to look into it so there I may respray the car because the paint is damaged quite a lot. I'm planning on registering it eventually & mainly taking it beach driving (want to be able to take on the roughest parts & have some fun) may go mud occasionally also. It already has the 2" lift i'm going to swap over to mud tyres or maybe agressive all terrains. Basically I'm just asking what type of prices would I be dealing with here, is it a good idea to start such a project or is there a high chance of it getting too expensive? Sorry about not having much detail, I'm yet to have a proper look at this car, thank you for taking the time to reply!

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » January 18th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Well, for $2K that's a fairly cheap 4x4, especially if is running and complete. For that price, it is going to be getting on in years, so there will be some wear and tear. So If you can do some work yourself, it sounds like you can have some fun with it. give everything a service, and take it out for a run. You cant really predict what is going to break, unless you can hear noise coming from somewhere. There are thousands of hiluxes, so second hand parts are readily available, altho some might be getting harder to find now. New CVs are cheap enough on ebay, as are radiators.. . don't let it overheat. if the radiator is suspect, get it cleaned or replaced and check the thermostat while you are at it. sand driving will test the cooling system. So go for it. . . . . But I guarantee you will probably spend more money then you plan. . . as has everyone on this forum, but once you have had a day of 4x4 fun, you will be bitten by the bug . . . !! :lol: :lol:

love_metal47
Here and there

Unread post by love_metal47 » February 24th, 2016, 11:29 am

Hey Kyle,
$2k sounds like a nice base to me. Personally I started off with an old 1983 Hilux single cab. It had rust, over 700k kms on the old 2ltr and only paid $400 for it without rego. It took me a while and i finally got it registered. I cut the rust out and cleaned it up with a new spray job and suspension. I never kept track of the spending's although i would estimate it was around the 6k mark. You will find, most things you can do yourself. You'd be surprised what a case of beer will get you done. Take your time and enjoy. There was a good write up of someone who has done this on here, look at BENOLUX'S 1983 hilux. its a pretty good write up.
Cheers.

Mike1544
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Mike1544 » March 2nd, 2016, 8:33 pm

I bought an old LN65 back in September last year for $800. Had the 1L, gearbox and transfer sitting in the tray (yes, I thought it was a 2L until rebuild time)
Before.jpg

Long story short, plenty of rust cut out of the chassis and body, all mechanics replaced (I love eBay) and I'm at the stage of putting it back together now.
Chassis.jpg
Before After.jpg
The only special tools I needed was an arc welder ($150 from Masters) a press ($150 from Supercheap) and a torque wrench ($99 from Supercheap). All the rest are general tools you should have at home (Compressor, etc)
Cab.jpg
Engine.jpg
I've had a ball doing it. It's gratifying to see something come from a farm hack and turn into a nice vehicle. The best part about building it yourself is you can do whatever you damn well like to it (legally of course) and fit whatever you like (again with the legal disclaimer.. lol) I'm hitting the 4.5k mark for funds with about 1k to go before it's finished. I could have spent crazy dollars on it but I'm just a simple guy with simple pleasures. Mud will cover most of it regularly.
At the end of the day you'll have a rig that fits your needs. I say go for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » March 3rd, 2016, 11:18 am

You can spend lots n lots of dollars depending on how crazy you want to go... Been there, done that. Our LN107 owes us $25,000.00 or a bit more even..
Puff

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » March 3rd, 2016, 7:48 pm

my experience is.....do not keep a record of your expenses....you will end up in hospital with some heart problems.
Just enjoy what you do, as we all know it doesn't make sense to down heaps of money in an old car but I think
90% of forum members will be guilty. I am one of them.
Good luck and go for it

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”