My 89 HJ75 ute tourer project

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Re: My 89 HJ75 ute tourer project

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » November 18th, 2017, 12:08 am

Thanks Dave, few fiddly bits to finish off & i still need to tidy up the cabinside but its at a stage i can use it now & do the fiddly stuff in my spare time, finally made brackets to mount the jerry can holders so now i will be able to clad the rear wall in alloy sheet :)
also done a bit of birthday & early Christmas shopping, needed some music & a decent uhf in the cab :)
looks like i will need to do some reading up on the new gme bluetooth radio, hopefully its not too complicated to use.
my boy Dust enjoyed his first ever camping trip & was either in the bush or in the dam most of the days we were away, i only put him on his run late afternoon when the roos came down to the water to drink
I found Burrendong dam very quiet during the week & virtually had the place to myself, looking forward to a couple more trips out there to get used to my setup & work out weather i need anything else camping gear wise before i plan any real trips away, its a great place to sort out any bugs & its only 20 mins from home.
Brett.

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » January 2nd, 2018, 10:24 pm

getting ready to take off camping for a few days, maybe a week or more, fitted a rear awning today, hopefully i can get the left side awning mounted before i head off tomorrow :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 3rd, 2018, 8:59 am

You got a nice haul of early Chrissie presents, the vehicle's looking flash, dog's looking happy (& a bit pleased with himself?) and you've got the bugs sorted enough to head out for a week or more?!? I'd say your New Year is off to a good start! Enjoy - & please post lotsa trip reports, with pics! :thumb:

Congrats on getting it all sorted so well! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » July 17th, 2018, 12:54 am

Decided to clean up the interior a bit, there were lots of different mismatched colors inside with no floor coverings & it was just very untidy in general,
I recovered the door trims in a grey & made some extra bits so they din't look so plain, also somewhere to mount my 6x9 alpine speakers :) then modified & recovered the roof console that now has two uhf radios installed.
all the other bits & pieces are now in charcoal

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » July 17th, 2018, 12:55 am

I spent today stripping the dash then sanded it all with 800 grit wet & dry then painted it all in a mid grey enamel,
hopefully tomorrow i can start putting things back together & then start to put the sound dedener & new carpet etc in, won't be the best trim job around but it beats paying someone else to do it :)

Mulder030
Here and there

Unread post by Mulder030 » July 17th, 2018, 7:15 am

Brett,

Mate, what an epic transformation. I just read through your build for the first time. Very impressed!
Keep up the good work, I will be keen to see more!

Two thumbs up from me
Cheer
Mulder

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » July 17th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Thanks Mulder,
started to put the dash back together this afternoon, talk about a jigsaw puzzle :)

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » July 18th, 2018, 10:23 pm

fitted the door trims, put the dash back together, need to buy another sub tank gauge cover & heater control fascia, hopefully i can find time to put the sound deadening & carpet in next, still need to run some power to the roof for the uhf radios before i can mount the roof console & need to find some coax extensions for the two aerials so they reach up to the console. will get some pics of the dash in the daytime after i clean up all the factory black plastics :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 19th, 2018, 1:03 am

It's getting there Brett! And it certainly looks pretty good from here! :thumb:

Great Stuff!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 19th, 2018, 11:55 am

Brett Mcleod wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 9:04 pm
.... talk about a jigsaw puzzle :)
It feels a bit like that, as long as you got no screws left over you know you did good :drink:
Looking the goods mate!

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » July 19th, 2018, 7:08 pm

@cuzza_wa thanks mate,
I actually had to buy some more screws to replace all the missing ones people had left out over the years, just trying to get it neat & tidy on the inside, it was about 5 or 6 different colors inside before with no floor coverings, i might start using it a bit more when its cleaned up & more comfortable :)

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » July 20th, 2018, 8:28 pm

took the seats out tonight and gave the floors a good hot soapy scrub ready to install all the sound deadening & new carpet after work tomorrow & Sun, haven't found any rust in this cab, probably because its been a country car all its life

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » July 21st, 2018, 7:43 pm

got most of the sound deadener in after work tonight, should get it finished after work tomorrow then start installing the new carpet :)

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » July 21st, 2018, 9:11 pm

thanks to everyone who has replied to my thread, i only just worked out how to reply to people posting lol i never noticed the (66) reply with quote at top of posts before, i must have forgot it was there lol

wiggle16
Getting to know the place

Unread post by wiggle16 » July 23rd, 2018, 1:25 pm

Having decent sound insulation makes a huge difference.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”