My 89 HJ75 ute tourer project

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Brett Mcleod
Here and there

My 89 HJ75 ute tourer project

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » December 23rd, 2015, 10:47 pm

Hi guys, found this forum whilst googling & thought i would join,
Its been a while since i have done any four wheel driving & i recently got the bug to get out & do some camping again, I crossed the Simpson & traveled the Birdsville track with my father when i was around 16, well that was back in the 80's & i kind of got the bug to do the trip again now that i am older & would like to do the same route that i went with my father back in the 80's, back then the trip was done in a series 1 land rover with a Holden 161 & fairey overdrive, almost everything else on the land rover back then was pretty stock suspension cheese cutter tires ect, anyway on to 2015 & i have the bug for the great outdoors once again , I recently acquired a 1989 hj75 2h diesel ute, it had been sitting parked up on a property since Dec 2014 & ran out of registration in April 2015, I was doing a job out on a property in Sep this year when i spotted the cruiser sitting in the paddock, so i asked my customer what they were doing with it, anyway we got to talking & negotiating, i swapped the small sanding job in exchange for the ute & the cruiser came home with me after finishing the job :) I booked it in for a blue slip to find out what needed to be done for registration & then drove it straight to my local Toyota dealer where i was given a list of things to do for registration, work has been really busy leading up to Christmas so i have been working 7 days a week & spending my nights out in the shed working on the cruiser, well 3 months later & its finally registered, the plan is to set it up for touring and to start getting away as much as i can instead of working every weekend lol, I brought a steel canopy cheap off eBay which i plan to start fitting out after Christmas,
looking forward to checking out all the threads on this forum & maybe meeting up with some of you guys in my travels.
sorry about the long intro :)
This is how i found it in the paddock
and this is how it looks now, Yes the bull bar is going away soon :)
all registered :)
and here is a photo of the canopy i picked up off ebay for $460, hoping to clean it up & paint & start fitting it out after Christmas,
so far i have rebuilt mostly mechanical stuff like the whole front end from brakes bearings right back to pivots, replaced the complete rear brakes & new drums & bearings & axle seals, new front tail shaft, front & rear pinion seals and lots of other bits & pieces, also replaced all the suspension bushes, but will be doing a 2" lift in the new year, i removed the old 15x7 sunraysers and replaced them with 16x8's with a -24 offset, still lots to do but its starting to come together
anyway, sorry about the long intro and all the pics, hope you all have a great Christmas.
cheers Brett
Last edited by Brett Mcleod on July 25th, 2017, 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

paul1962
Here and there

Re: Hi from Wellington NSW Australia, another newby

Unread post by paul1962 » January 1st, 2016, 11:46 am

hi brett welcome to the forum, i grew up and went to school in wellington and miss living there terribly. your truck is looking great and you will find so many great people here who have a wealth of knowledge if you need it. cheers,, paul

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » August 12th, 2016, 8:27 pm

sorry for the late reply, i lost my laptop & all my links, all my pic disappeared so i just reloaded a couple, the cruiser has been sitting in the shed pretty much since my last post, i have been busy with work :) the canopy is almost ready to re skin in aluminum, i extended the canopy 150mm to fit the full length of the tray,
the canopy is almost fitted out, i just made stuff up to do as i went :)
i removed the checka floor, deleted the back door then turned the canopy around added 150mm to the head board end, made a compartment for the high lift jack, 2x house batteries, compressor, TV, inverter, & a few other goodies :)
i built a bed up the drivers side, there are 5 x 30 liter storage boxes under the bed, a kitchen area in the rear left corner, the 100 liter fridge freezer at front left, mounted a redarc bms, & a few other bits & pieces, this weekend will be my first time out in the shed for a few weeks so hoping to get some more done with my two days off, guess i should start a build thred & add some pics
best Brett

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » October 28th, 2016, 10:25 pm

slowly getting there,

Last edited by Brett Mcleod on July 25th, 2017, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » October 28th, 2016, 10:32 pm

Found a bullbar at the wreckers cheap, looks a bit better than the old square one i had on it :)
Last edited by Brett Mcleod on July 25th, 2017, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » October 28th, 2016, 10:35 pm

Getting closer to buying some aluminum for the outside of the canopy, I have welded both door frames up so they now only open as one piece instead of folding in half onto themselves, I got a sliding window with fly screen for the side the bed is on & modded the frame to accept it ) sorry updates have been few & far between but photobucket has been a PITA lately, it just took me almost two hours to upload these few pics to my bucket & link them here grrrr :)
Last edited by Brett Mcleod on July 25th, 2017, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feet in 2 camps
Been here a while

Re: My 89 HJ75 ute tourer project

Unread post by feet in 2 camps » November 18th, 2016, 8:45 am

Having larger doors, hinging at the top is handy as a rain & sun shelter. The tool boxes I had on my 79 Series had that feature, along with automotive seals which keep dust & rain coming in around the sides & bottom.
It is good to see another Landcruiser rising from the dust!

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » November 18th, 2016, 7:30 pm

slowly getting there with it, hoping to do a bit more over Christmas & finish the canopy off so i can start using it, always gets busy with work this time of year & haven't had too many days to myself, the joys of working for one's self :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 19th, 2016, 12:38 pm

All too true, Brett; but we all know that taking your time over a build like this just gives you more chance to get it right, so you really welcome the chance... don't you?!! Besides, work (in any form or for anyone) is only the means to an end!! It's just one of those necessary tasks that you hafta do in order to give you the means to get out there & do the things you want to do in the way/vehicle you want to so you can truly enjoy them.... Now, it's only getting that work/enjoy balance right that's the problem?!? :o

Ps: Truck's getting there, & lookin' good! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » November 30th, 2016, 10:35 pm

Christmas is almost here just brought myself a few more early pressies
I have been putting off buying house batteries for a while & every time i am financial enough to get them they are sold out, so this time i got them while they have them in stock,
I brought two 120ah kickass slimline batteries that will fit in the compartment i built at the front of the canopy, I had a few choices but decided on the kickass as they come with the 5 year warranty.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252500766...STRK:MEBIDX:IT
also brought some connectors.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201565779...STRK:MEBIDX:IT
And a crimping tool
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230601944...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Hopefully i will be ordering some Aluminum sheets to skin the canopy over or before Christmas so that i can start getting out & using it, the cruiser has been sitting in the shed to long, i have only done around 240k's since blue slipping & registering it last Dec so i am looking forward to getting out and using it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » January 5th, 2017, 12:21 am

I brought a smaller compressor off eBay for $67, works a treat pumping both front tires up from 10 psi to 32 in just over a minute & a half each, it has a built in flashing led torch as well as the normal led torch setting on the switch, it shuts off automatically when the set pressure is reached, its pretty compact & came in a nice bag with a few other accessories, notable difference in size between the new one & the typhoon one i got from bfc, so now i have a spare small compressors :)
Last edited by Brett Mcleod on July 25th, 2017, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » January 5th, 2017, 12:22 am

Built a floor into the bottom front of the canopy for the two 120ah house batteries to sit on & fabricated up some battery mounts to hold them in place.
Last edited by Brett Mcleod on July 25th, 2017, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » January 5th, 2017, 12:23 am

Also relocating the Redarc BMS from above the bed into the cupboard above the batteries.
Last edited by Brett Mcleod on July 25th, 2017, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » January 5th, 2017, 12:24 am

made a power distribution box to go in the cupboard as well, it contains 1 x 80 amp & 2 x 30 amp circuit breakers & a manual battery cut off switch. just waiting on my blue sea bus bars to turn up & my solar leads & adapters so i can finish wiring everything up, then i will be ready to put the insulation on & start cladding the outside of the canopy :)
The box will be mounted just above the batteries.

barnsey
Last edited by Brett Mcleod on July 25th, 2017, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

105DualCab
Getting to know the place

Unread post by 105DualCab » January 9th, 2017, 1:21 pm

The rig is coming along quite nicely mate, well done.

You don't often see these in any other color than white or light brown occasionally, it polished up really well.

The tray setup is coming along nicely. It'll make a pretty sweet bush bachelor pad haha.
One thing though, with the sink, do you think it will be tricky to keep the ply and material dry from splashes? or do you have a plan for a stainless sheet? Maybe on a slight tilt forward so all water runs off easily?
105 Dual Cab 1HZ w/Denco Turbo
Check it out Here

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”