1998 MK Triton Build Project

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Marty1978
Here and there

1998 MK Triton Build Project

Unread post by Marty1978 » September 12th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Ok well here goes nothing :crazy:

After a bit of research and planning I cant contain myself any longer so I'm into it. I'll be moving in a few months so i'll be doing a few bits and pieces now then finish the build once I've renovated two houses and built a new purpose built workshop where I'm moving to :whyme:
C1.jpg
The Project: is to do a ground up rebuild of a 98 MK Twin Cab Triton. Originally bought it as a doner car to keep my 95 MJ on the road but its just to nice to scrap. The list of things to do is long and interesting. The 98 has the remnants of a v6 under the bonnet, Extended wishbones, longer shocks and a two inch lift kit. The wiring inside has been chopped and changed so many times there are cut off ends everywhere. The only body damage is the pas side guard which will be an easy fix. Originally the paint scheme was silver below the windows and green above but some "person" has gone and painted the whole car Black without first prepping the paint underneath. Interior is in good nick except for being covered in mud, surface mould and there is a tear in the drivers seat. It still has potential though and I was looking for a project car anyway. The 95 will need to be kept on the road as long as possible so you may see bits and pieces on that in this thread before being taken off the road and donating some parts to the 98

The Plan: Strip the 98 to bear bones. interior, exterior panels, wiring looms, everything under the bonnet, running gear so all I'm left with is a shell and chassis. Prep and paint the chassis and shell properly then build up the entire truck until it is ready to go. The 2.5 litre diesel motor will come out of the 95 and be transplanted in the 98 and for roadworthy purposes and so mr plod leaves me alone i'll have to put the shock setup out of the 95 in as well if possible.

This is the second ground up rebuild I've done. My first was a Suzuki Vitara JLX which I'll be keeping on the road as a run about during this project build. I'm hoping to achieve wondrous things with the MK and I'm sure with all your help out there it will be more than possible. Here is a photo of the dream it is framed and up in my workshop as encouragement during those rough times when I feel like I'm getting nowhere.
0000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: 1998 MK Triton Build Project

Unread post by BigDutchy » September 12th, 2015, 6:01 pm

You might not have noticed but your rear tire might be unroad worthy.....I thought I better tell you in case you missed it :lol:

Other than that a great project mate

Marty1978
Here and there

Unread post by Marty1978 » September 12th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Day 1 09/09/2015
Keeping in mind I am moving soon and I need to keep the 98 a roller till then, I decided to start with the interior as the longer it is left damp and mouldy the more damage I would have to fix or replace. Opening the doors I was met with
Mouldy Carpet, seats. seat belts and looked like it had been used as a rubbish dump. :eek: ferrel is all I had to say.
C2.jpg
C3.jpg
Clearing out the rubbish, I then started pulling out seats and trim to get to the carpet. so far I have re couped about 10 buck in shrapnel so its not all bad. I pulled the first bit of carpet out and looking at it, it was a mess. you could tell it was grey..... just and I thought awesome not even 24 hours in and I gotta replace the carpet. Throwing it on the tip trailer I started figuring out the spaghetti of wiring with chopped ends everywhere. Tracing the wires I came up with a few suprises
C4.jpg
Duty called then so a couple of pics to finish the day
C5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Marty1978 on September 13th, 2015, 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marty1978
Here and there

Unread post by Marty1978 » September 12th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Lol Good one Dutch. trust me there was a great deal of umin and aring before agreeing to buy this mess.

Marty1978
Here and there

Unread post by Marty1978 » September 12th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Day 2 10/09/2015
Ok this morning Dad rocked up to see what I had been up to and to have a look at a few things on the MJ. He spied the carpet on the tip trailer which I didn't even want to look at. I told him it was stuffed. He laughed picked it up, threw it in the back of the MJ and we drove out to his place. 36 years old and dad is still taking me to school. Apparently there is an old car detailers trick to rejuvenating carpet. I was shocked and then excited check this out
C6.jpg
It's not brand new but damn it looks awesome and no more mould@@@@ :cool:

After my tech talk thread I crawled under the bonnet of the MJ. I've located the temp sensor which took a bit cause I was looking for a single wire not a double :confused: Just another difference between petrol motors and diesel. anyone know what the second wire is? I'm thinking it has something to do with the glow plugs and not having them light up when the engine is warm.

Then inspected the radiator hose. Dad said the lower one was a bit suspect but not that it had a kink in it. Obviously not the right hose. Did fluid checks next. engine oil was low which made me curious and the clutch res was full of black fluid so we decided to clean it out and bleed clean fluid through. Crawling underneath I found where all my engine oil had gone, it had painted half the motor and bell housing. Tracing it back I found another buggered hose. this one just happened to be in the main oil feed to the turbo. Perished and like a sponge and some moron had used clip hose clamps on a hose which carries oil under engine pressure. ******* AWESOME!!!

Down to Bursons and have ordered parts should be here Monday. stay tuned

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 13th, 2015, 12:05 am

Good start... I was about to yell - "don't dice the carpet" :lol:

Having spent a LOT of time recently pressure washing a new 2014 ford ranger carpet that went underwater in a muddy bog hole... I had a suspicion you might be able to resurrect that one. ;)

That's what dads are for - no good getting old, if you don't get cunning! :lol:

Whatta they say again - "age, experience & cunning will overcome youth and exuberance every time?

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Marty1978
Here and there

Unread post by Marty1978 » September 13th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Hey Shann,
It's ok to pressure wash the carpets as they have a sealed and moulded back and hoping to get away with doing the seatbelts too but any ideas about the seats? Been told to avoid pressure washing those and I do have that tear in the drivers seat to get repaired as well. :(
thinking of getting them to put a new panel in it so long as it doesn't stand out like dogs balls. Gonna pull the runner systems off clean them up and give them a coat of gloss black. Should look pretty shmick ;)

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 13th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Dry Clean the seats!

Thats about the only thing I can think of.

The ones in the 2014 Ranger had air bags and sensors in them... so we had a neighbor is a dry cleaner come and run a wet vac thing over them that sucked a lot of the water out and he used some dry cleaning fluid stuff on the fabrics, then a couple days in a room with a fan heater and a extractor fan to take the moist air out of the room (i.e. a dehumidifier effect) did the best we could.
The foam still wasn't 100% dry - you got a moist arse sitting in them for a week or so after... and they started to smell 'musty'.

Best thing was leaving the car parked in the sun each day for the week - with the widows just cracked enough to extract the moisture with a little cross wind. They did eventually dry..

Wet seats are the hardest part! Air bag sensors in them, played up for a while after (~2 weeks) until all the moisture was finally gone.

Will be "interesting" to "see" what problems show up with the electrics in time, once the full effect of the water / corrosion etc has time to set in!.

I suspect that even with all the effort we took to pull all plugs, spray clean (CRC contact cleaner) de-water (WD40) and blow dry with compressor before reconnecting - that the actual copper wire itself... isn't like marine copper wire where its 'tinned'...to prevent moisture ingress.. I suspect the water will have wicked into the copper strands down inside the PVC insulation coating & probably corrode the wiring harness from inside the wire over time.

Its hard to say, one of those things only time will tell.

The B-I-L says that with the rate he clocks up KM's, being a sales reps vehicle, he is hoping the co. will replace it with a new one in ~12 months time and trade this one on, to become someone else's ongoing maintenance nightmare. :rolleyes:

These more modern vehicles full of electronic gadgets are probably going to put a stop to playing in rivers and mud holes like they are some kinda boat, with the offroad crowd... not like the good ol days with mechanical injected diesels... that water couldn't kill them.

Everything's 'electronics' these days.

Deans4by

Unread post by Deans4by » September 14th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Good stuff, another MK Triton owner :thumb:
You've done well tidying it up
Have fun with it.
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

Marty1978
Here and there

Unread post by Marty1978 » September 14th, 2015, 8:37 pm

thanks dean. its going to be a slow process at first and I'm really fussy to. thanks for watching and feel free to give advice and or criticism. both are much appriciated

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”