the diesel 45

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
cruiserluke
Here and there

the diesel 45

Unread post by cruiserluke » August 13th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Thought id throw up a little build of our HJ45. Went halves in this HJ45 a few months ago with my dad with the intention he will do it up for himself and maybe make it a daily for him and ill have my FJ45. Anyway the 60 i'm driving at the moment only has a month or so of rego left and its not getting re registered as the engine gearbox and diffs are kindly going to donate themselves to the petrol 45. Long story short we are getting this 45 to the stage where it can be registered so I can drive it around for the time being.
A quick rundown
1979 HJ45 Landcruiser ute
3.6H diesel and 4 speed.
re upholstered seats
some suspension work
Being a farm ute there are a couple of dings and a few spots of rust (mainly front guards and door sill panels). There are a few things need to be done to get registered like a windscreen, lights, rust, front diff and driveshaft and obviously a few other little things.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: the diesel 45

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 18th, 2015, 7:03 am

Nice one mate. I know one like these for sale. I have no use for it no need for it but I have stopped about 5 times now to have a look. Maybe I should make a silly offer and see what happens....

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » August 19th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Haha know the feeling, whenever I see one ill stop and have a look and think of what I could do with it but then have to be pulled back to reality :lol:

Been working on pulling the steps off to get better access to the sill panels to cut the rust and weld some new panels in, as well as pulling off the front guards to swap with the ones from the petrol 45 because these have got some rust, some cracks and some bog. Ill throw up a few pics in the next couple of days.

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » September 20th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Too long since an update so here's what's happened; sheds been concreted, moved the 45 in pulled the panels from the front, stripped and broke some nuts and bolts. Pulled the front diff and housing (you could move the flange back and forwards and side to side) to swap with the one from my petrol 45 so it'll start going back together sometime this week. got some parts for the doors (handles, hinge pin kits) and some indicators for front and back.
Really have to pull my finger out an get It on the road asap though.
Here's a pic I grabbed at the end of today

Marty1978
Here and there

Unread post by Marty1978 » September 20th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Looking good Luke keep up the great work

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » October 2nd, 2015, 7:41 pm

progress has been a bit slower than I would have liked with extra shifts at work and doing a week of work experience at a fabrication mob.
Anyway what I've done is cut and patched the mudguards from the petrol 45 that are going on this one, made some threaded 10mm bar sections to go inside the chassis to replace the welded nuts that held the mudguards to the chassis.
Rolled the petrol utes diff under the ute (haven't put the drive shaft in yet)
welded up the holes on the bonnet and upper mudguard where it had the cheapo rubber bonnet catches
Put a kit through the steering idler box
Put the new bonnet catches on
put all the front panels back together with new nuts and bolts
started cleaning up the rear of the tray for the new tail lights
A couple of pics

Next plans are to get my tie rod end boots next week as I split them getting the ends off, hook up the front diff, finish cleaning up the rear of the tray and cut and weld in new steel for the sill panels and floor.

feet in 2 camps
Been here a while

Unread post by feet in 2 camps » October 3rd, 2015, 10:24 pm

It is good to see you giving the old girl some love & attention. Keep up the good work

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » November 2nd, 2015, 7:29 pm

haha yeah thanks feet in 2 camps its getting there

Back to the ute, haven't updated in a while been too busy on the ute. Since ive finished school ive been able to put good 8-10 hour days on the ute the days im not working which is good because Im wanting something to drive around in now my old white 60 has run out of rego and not re registering it (engine, box and diffs are going in my petrol 45)

Lots of progress has been made in these last few weeks,
- all rust cut out of the floors and sills and plated with new steel,
- fixed all electrical problems (really just cleaned nearly every terminal relating to lights)
- new led tail lights and new front indicators (the front indicators were the cheapest I could find and it shows! plugged the wires in when I got them and the park lights would work and so would the front indicator but not the side, when park lights were on and indicating the front park light and the side indicator would alternate without the front one?!? turns out there was no ground wire at all in the assembly and the side indicator had a separate wire that plugged into the earth wire on the ute end. after a bit of a rewire they're all good now.
- painted a front bumper we had in hammertone black
- painted the brake drums and recovery hooks red (I'm a p plater after all haha)
- got some black soft backed marine carpet for a new roof lining
- new Monroe shockies all round
- ordered/got a heap of seals and gaskets to be fitted this week
- bit of work on the driver door straightening it out
- and just some other odds and ends

Ill update at the end of the week hopefully and if all goes to plan it'll be in for a roadworthy next week
Some pics

red goes faster right? haha

out with the old

in with the new

ill put some more up in the next few days

feet in 2 camps
Been here a while

Unread post by feet in 2 camps » November 2nd, 2015, 7:34 pm

Red works for me! It is the colour of my HDJ79 (which I call "Bluey")

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » November 18th, 2015, 5:14 pm

well it went for a roadworthy Wednesday last week and got knocked back for a number of little things like adjust headlights and wiper jets. new engine and gearbox mount and get a structural repair report signed by a panel beater. the mechanic also said to give the swivel housings a good wash.
So the ute got new front suspension bushes
new engine and gearbox mount
new front wheel bearings
swivel hub/housing kits put through
re adjusted the brakes
structural report signed
and a couple of other little things

It went back for its second go today and got a call 45 minutes after dropping it off saying its all good and passed its roadworthy :D :D Rego should be happening on Friday and then its just a matter of cleaning it up (paint, wiring and just things like that)

heres a couple of pics

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 20th, 2015, 2:37 pm

nice one :thumb:
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » November 28th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Got rego last Friday for the ute. got it back home and put the 33's on it, then Monday packed it up and went camping with some mates for the end of school. I still need to flush and clean the radiator as it was running pretty damn hot on the gauge. put a new primer pump in it, side cover gasket as well now I think. all 4 tires rub on their guards under flex which I was expecting to happen.
I put on the mudguards from the petrol ute to get it past roadworthy knowing they've been repaired and have some bog in them but after giving it a good flex on a track the front driver wheel was rubbing against the previous owners repairs which were pop riveting some angle steel under the guard and covering it in bog. it cracked the bog and the actual guard and tore the pop riveted piece off. So the plan of attack now is to cut the curve part of both guards off and 'roothy' the guards by having a flat guard and some rubber flare edging.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”