StirlSilver's V8 Twin Turbo Land Rover Project

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
stirlsilver
Here and there

StirlSilver's V8 Twin Turbo Land Rover Project

Unread post by stirlsilver » June 23rd, 2015, 9:06 am

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted anything on this forum. I got a little bored in the workshop the other day (despite the amount of work I have left to do!), so I decided to shoot a quick video about my project. If you have a spare 19mins have a watch and let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPCNsF-7h9k

Comments or questions welcomed!

Stirling

stirlsilver
Here and there

Re: StirlSilver's V8 Twin Turbo Land Rover Project

Unread post by stirlsilver » June 25th, 2015, 12:10 am

Here are a small selection of photos from the build.

pavadrin
Been here a while

Unread post by pavadrin » June 25th, 2015, 12:15 am

Looks grand mate. I will certainly following this build. I'm not sure what I envy the most, the skill of drawing a 3D model of what is being built or the actual assembly of the idea haha. Keep up the good work.

chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » June 25th, 2015, 7:43 am

That's seriously good work! Love to see the completed truck.
2006 Ford Courier Super Cab 2.5TD, ARB Canopy, ARB Bullbar, ARB Rear Bar, Narva Ultima 225's, Uni Filter, Custom Roof Console, Uniden UHF, Waeco Fridge, Window Tint, Rear Drawers, 31" Geolandars

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 25th, 2015, 5:52 pm

chillipepperz, you are right mate that is some great work. Stirlsilver this looks amazing!!

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » June 26th, 2015, 7:16 am

Stirlo,
I had been following your buildup on AULRO until they had their changes.
I thought that you would have this on the road by now (havent watched the video yet).
Epic build with a lot of good ideas and workmanship.
Cheers

stirlsilver
Here and there

Unread post by stirlsilver » June 29th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone! Being able to draw the car up in 3D before doing any of the major work was a major benefit, having drawings of parts I needed to build made the process of ordering materials and cutting parts a lot more accurate! Plus, I could have a head start in checking to see if anything would foul.

As for the amount of time I has taken me to get this far... Well, there have been a lot of distractions. I think in total there has been 2 years all up where no work was done. First year was when I had to rebuild my Series 3 Stage 1 and then more recently, when I relocated from Melbourne to Sydney... Anyway, I think it is the home stretch now!

I didn't know that the Project's section of the AULRO forum was locked to members of the forum. There are about 500 post on my thread there. Anyway, I can create a copy of what I'm doing on here. Below is my latest update.

Another weekend down and some more progress. Again thanks goes out to Derrick for helping me out in the workshop. Below are the shots.

The engine was removed. As you can see no love was given to the engine sitting in the engine bay, I was stepping all over it while undoing bolts.

And it was finally out.

Then we moved on to getting the gearbox out, which proved to be a little trickier since the car was sitting so low (no springs). But I managed to get out out via the engine bay.

As I mentioned before, the automatic gearbox is ready for delivery, I just need to pull off the transfer case from the original gearbox so that I can send the transmission off as part of the exchange.

Also, the new engine is ready for delivery, I'm just sorting out purchasing some axles while I'm at it.

Next week will most likely be pressure washing the engine bay and underside of the car followed by modifying the front spring perches to raise them by 2". Then I guess I'll start putting the new engine together!

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » June 30th, 2015, 6:09 pm

Awesome rig mate, I can't wait to see the progress.

Because this is the interwebs I will give you one piece of advice.........please please pleasae do not use those truck wheel arch thingies. I have seen them on a few 4WDs and they never look good. It'd be a shame to wreck such a cool visual package with those fugly things.
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

stirlsilver
Here and there

Unread post by stirlsilver » July 5th, 2015, 9:30 pm

No Fn Idea wrote:.........please please pleasae do not use those truck wheel arch thingies.....
Thanks for the input, do you have a better suggestion on what to use for guards?? I reshaped the truck guards to suit the size of the tyres so I didn't think they looked too bad when I trial fitted them. Plus there is the benefit of easily being able to buy replacements when they are damaged (which is bound to happen).

Further progress.

The new top hat lined engine arrived from Triumph.

I pressure washed the transmission in preparation to separate the transfer case off the auto box so that it can be refitted to the 4HP24 box that AB Automatics built for me.

I temporarily converted the workshop into a washing booth so that I could pressure wash the engine bay. The photo strangely looks like a scene out of the Dexter series!

All washed down.

And then I discovered a sinister secret under the paint in the engine bay. Damage from a leaking battery and also leaking break fluid. Also the fact that I used a strong concentration of degreaser didn't help my case...

The process of removing all the rust. Looking better. I ended up putting a primer coat of epoxy rust converting paint, but forgot to take the photo.

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 8th, 2015, 9:52 am

No sorry I don't have any better suggestion, apart from good old steel plate in a three sided wheel arch..................but hey. It's your rig and your $$$$ so I will shut up
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » July 12th, 2015, 12:56 am

You are a mad scientist ss! That is brilliant work mate. I can't wait to hear the sound of that beast:)
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695

stirlsilver
Here and there

Unread post by stirlsilver » July 12th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Spent some time tinkering in Solidworks. Plus putting in a lot of orders for things like:
Oil Coolers
Water proof enclosure & connectors for ECU
Pressure Transmitters
Temperature Senders
And so on...

I've bought a pair of Derale 15800 oil coolers, one will be for the engine and the other for the transmission. Each controlled via the ECU by oil temperature senders. Below is what the unit looks like (It should arrive in the next week or so)

And below (in blue) is where I plan to mount them. According to my 3D model, they should JUST fit in. I'll find out soon if this is right!

I also did some quick exploring on how much modification I'm going to have to do to the bonnet to clear the intercoolers and the fans for them. The answer is... A lot... It's going to be quite a bulge! plus I need to blend in a scoop. Should end up looking pretty agressive I think.

stirlsilver
Here and there

Unread post by stirlsilver » July 12th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Ripped into the project some more this weekend making some great progress.

Last week I bought a 2nd hand engine stand but I didn't have bolts long enough to mount it. So that was sorted this weekend :-)

Another item I forgot to mention in my update from last weekend was that I had made a start of drilling out and removing the vertical panels of the inner guards. The plan is that I will re-bolt these panels back in using bolts so that I have better access to the sides of the engine. With so much stuff hanging off either side of the engine I need as much access as I can get to reach bolts!!

Right hand guard seam sealed after treating all the rust!

Here is an action shot of Derrick cutting some parts for me. Again a major help!

While the seam sealer on the righ hand guard cured and the primer paint on the left hand guard dried, we moved onto the spring perch modifications:

With all the cold weather going around, it was necessary for me to wrap the guard in an electric blanket which I modified to remove the auto off timer. This is so the primer paint would continue to cure over night.

Next day, the right hand guard was top coated in a light grey paint and I finished welding up the 50mm extensions to the spring perches.

And that's all folks!

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » July 13th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Love it mate!Awesome

stirlsilver
Here and there

Unread post by stirlsilver » July 16th, 2015, 11:49 pm

Thanks mate :)

I've made a fair dent on the overall wiring design of the ECU. I purchased 3 x 22 way Delphi connectors thinking I would have loads left over. But in the end it turned out to be JUST enough! Though the current arrangement has a pin for each injector's 12V supply. I could condense that all into 1 pin freeing up 7 pins. I'll see how I go when I do the finishing touches to the wiring diagram.

Oh, I also got a waterproof USB connector to go on the case... The ECU box is going to definitely be rated for being submerged if (when) that does happen.

Oh... and the Derale Oil Coolers came in :D

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”