Justian's Volvo C303 build

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Re: Justian's Volvo C303 build

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » February 20th, 2015, 11:13 pm

This is epic mate; absolutely awesome. Looking forward to following this

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: Justian's C303 build

Unread post by typhoeus » February 21st, 2015, 3:38 pm

Justian5678 wrote:Had been putting of posting about the problems I have been having with my diffs in the hope that the Diff shop would have fixed the problem by now. They have had my diffs since the start of December and finally got the front one back the other day. As you can imagine these diffs come out of a 4 tonne rated truck and are very heavy and difficult to handle in and out from under the truck. After lifting the diff out of the trailer getting it under the truck and bolted up on the springs went to put all the brake parts on the passenger side when I found the rubber boot that is meant to seal the swivel housing and keep dirt out and oil in was not put in place correctly as you can see in the photo, these guys said they would come straight out and fix it as trying to get the diff out would be to hard, I thought great old fashion service as it should be. Well the offer of dropping off my second diff and fixing the mistake they made on the first diffs is more than likely not going to happen as that was nearly a week ago and am still waiting not even a phone call and after paying $2200 to get this one diff done for them to turn up. Well guess I will just have to wait and see what happens ????????????????????????? ( Guess you are wondering who Repaired the diffs well lets just see what happens first)
I gotta say I would be concerned about the rest of the repairs if they cant get a simple seal installed correctly. Sal installation is a basic mechanics 101 job. But it looks like a very interesting project, and I wish you well with it!!

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 22nd, 2015, 12:34 pm

Have a 12000 pound winch I want to mount to the front of my Volvo, there is a picture below of original bulbar. I was thinking about cutting the front section out were the tow hook is leave the rear back part of the box section so as not to lose to much of original size as in length at the rear. Has anyone done anything like this as I was wondering if 4 mm plate would be thick enough for the base plate and front box surround housing of the winch. I want it to strong enough to be able to do all the winching I need t but not to heavy that it weights done front end and yes I know there is a fine line but I do not want to pull winch off the car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Justian5678
Here and there

Re: Justian's C303 build

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 22nd, 2015, 12:40 pm

typhoeus
Yes must say that thought had crossed my mind to just hope that every thing is good because at the end of the day the bill for these two diffs will be over $4000

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » March 3rd, 2015, 7:39 pm

Justian5678 wrote:Volvo built these for the Swedish Army mainly, although a few European countries as well as Malaysia used them for military vehicles. Not sure on exact numbers but they brought some in for the Australian Army to trial but they went with Landrovers and they sold them to the general public, but understand were quite expensive in the day.

Now that's cool, a real working vehicle ;) ;)
if in doubt more right foot!

pinz712k
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by pinz712k » November 17th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Gday Justin,

Just a quick hello from a fellow Volvo c304/tgb1314 owner (and pinzgauer) down in Vic. I just spotted your build thread and wonder how its all going....is it all coming together OK? Did you get your CV boot problem sorted out? Its a pretty common issue to get that end of the boot seated correctly as you've no doubt figured out the hard way. Making a tool from a suitable piece of tube approx 100mm diameter does the job pretty well, the trick is to get it to go in evenly as opposed to following it around which keeps pushing it out elsewhere.

Your Volvo is a nice find being an original RHD, is it one of the OZ army tested units or a Malaysian import? 12v or 24v? And does it have a safari (lift up) windscreen? From the photo I think it doesn't but hard to tell.

Great to see another Volvo in OZ, good work.

Cheers Warren.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”