My 91 LN106 LS1 Project

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Danbc303
Been here a while

My 91 LN106 LS1 Project

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 21st, 2014, 7:53 pm

Hey guys, 4wdaction virgin poster here! Over the last few months i've been doing up a LS1 Lux and was told by a mate it would be a good idea to share my build here to get help with it from lots of gurus and maybe share some of my own ideas. So here are a few Pics of my build so far!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Danbc303 on June 25th, 2015, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danbc303
Been here a while

Re: My 91 LN106 LS1 Project

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 21st, 2014, 8:01 pm

Built a custom steel tray to get rid of the stock poxy looking alloy tray. Made headboard from 80NB heavy pipe with mandrel pipe bends welded in. Most of the tray is made from 65x35rhs and 2mm checkerplate (which i regret because it buckles way too easily!) bit of my own design at the back with tube style design for the numberplate and lights. Next step some sidesteps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 21st, 2014, 8:11 pm

Dont know why the photos keep going in upside down, but here is some pics of the engine that's going in. Its a LS1 from a VT series 2. Had a mate come around and help me change the cam chain, VCM cam and heavy duty springs. We did the whole job with general tools, degree wheel and some home made pullers for the balancer and crank cam sprocket. looks nice after we put it back together and cleaned it up!

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 21st, 2014, 8:19 pm

2.8d pulled out, engine mounts cut off, taking to the sand blasters. Was thinking about running some 4mm strengthener plates along the length of the chassis on the inside of each rail. Not sure how legal it would be and I still need to talk to an engineer about it. Thoughts anyone?

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 21st, 2014, 8:30 pm

binned the standard seats and bought some cheap seats from a rolled 2010 workmate. Still has the bench seat to keep it a 3 seater. Had to mod the legs to make the seats low enough to fit into the tiny cab. planning on welding extra 150x150x2mm sheet under each leg of the seats to strengthen it.

Gibbo_90
Here and there

Unread post by Gibbo_90 » December 21st, 2014, 8:41 pm

looking forward to seeing how this goes!
wouldn't think there would be much room left with an LS in the engine bay!

gibboi

kirbs8
Here and there

Unread post by kirbs8 » December 22nd, 2014, 11:07 am

Bloody awesome! What transfer and gearbox are you using?

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » December 23rd, 2014, 4:01 pm

looking forward to seeing this progress :thumb:
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 23rd, 2014, 8:55 pm

Cheers guys. Kirbs to answer your question I'll be using an R150f box and transfer. I've had mixed reviews on them but hopefully it will handle the torque of the ls1. CRS bellhousing and standard flywheel. Might try and find an alternative flywheel though as I'm going to have to find an engineering shop to drill and tap the flywheel for the new 10" heavy duty pressure plate that the rod shop provided.
Gibbo_90 wrote:looking forward to seeing how this goes!
wouldn't think there would be much room left with an LS in the engine bay!

gibboi
No gibboi there certainly is not much room at all! I've had to cut the front of the cab out to fit the radiator further forward and I'll be mounting thermo fans on the front as the water pump seems to stick out too far. I might have troubles getting the aircon in there also as I think it might hit the steering rack. When I dummy fitted the motor I didn't have the steering rack on so I'm not sure. Other than that it looks like it will fit ok.

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 25th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Some sneaky mods on the original bullbar. Made a plate to hold the winch in there, need to make new mounts and extra support mounts to account for the 2" body lift and the fact the winch will be pulling on the bullbar. Also need to fill up holes and lots of rust pitting. Thinking I'll make a new bullbar down the track but this will do for now

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 25th, 2014, 7:08 pm

Decided I'd try to cover the pitting with some checkerplate. Not sure whether I like it, looks pretty backyard at the moment but I'll see how it turns out when it's sanded up and painted. Trying to save a bit of money.

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 25th, 2014, 7:41 pm

New rims and wheels! 15x10 with 33's. Trying to get it engineered for 33's with the brake upgrade I'm doing. Can't wait to get the cab and chassis painted so I can put all this new gear on! Anyone have recommendations for chassis paint?

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » December 26th, 2014, 8:06 am

Have you thought about rear mounting the radiator on the deck? Not sure about the legalities of doing that where you live regarding hot water pipe mounting, but it certainly makes a lot of space available in the engine bay. Plus you never have to worry about filling the fins up with mud or having branches etc smashing into it (as I recently found out) every time you hit the tracks.

A standard falcon radiator with the twin electric fans is quite a common set up used for rear mount applications as the fans move a lot of air coupled with the larger radiator capacity it works well to keep the bigger engines (and stock) cool.

You don't need much room around the radiator either as the fans pull all required air through.

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 26th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Hey mate, no I haven't really thought about sitting the radiator behind the cab.... There's not really any room for it between the tray and the back on the cab. I wouldn't have thought mounting it under the tray horizontally would be any good? I'm not really sure though as this is my first ever car project haha!!! Not sure if it would be legal either but it would definately free up engine bay room if I could! The way I cut out the front of the cab it will all fit now anyway.

Next step for me guys before I go and fit the motor is some strengthening gussets along each side of the chassis. I was thinking of 4/5mm plate from the front spring mount to about 150mm behind the rear/front spring mounts for extra strength/to weld the engine mounts to. Any thoughts? These are some engine mounts I got cheap from a guy from TAS and also a photo of the front chassis. Plug welds look a bit dodgy on the mounts so I might end up re welding it. Other than that they look like really well designed mounts.

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » December 26th, 2014, 5:21 pm

While I'm in the shed I thought I'd share with you some quite rough as guts toyota chassis building too. To start off the left shock tower is around 10mm higher than the other, lots of spatter and porosity in the welds which I wouldn't have expected from a quality manufacturer like toyota.... Even so I guess it's worked for 23years as the ute is still going haha. Noticed a crack in the front right spring mount though which I'll have to fix. Pics attached.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”