f78 rocky, vic high country build

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
LittleGem
Been here a while

Re: f78 rocky, vic high country build

Unread post by LittleGem » November 12th, 2014, 7:09 pm

yeah the rear seems to flex a fair bit (I love it hahaha) so that where the question came from, I honestly didn't think about cutting the gaurds so thank you for that.
I may see if i can test a set of 33's to see the fuel economy v diff clearance pro's and cons before I do anything fuel economy is my main priority so if I don't lose much then the diff clearance may be worth it... thanks for the help mate (post a pic of your rocky, give me something to aspire to hahaha)
My rocky build thread with Stainless steel snorkle, 31" tyres, bigger turbo and more...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=155538&start=15
All done By Automotive Etcellence.

You can go Fast, I can go anywhere

NZRocky
Here and there

Unread post by NZRocky » November 14th, 2014, 12:12 pm

LittleGem
Been here a while

Unread post by LittleGem » March 5th, 2015, 2:52 pm

Ok so this has been a bit slow, but things are starting to move now so here's the next update with more to come shortly, It's a swag rack with awning and LED light bar on the roof (now I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give a shout out to the company that did the work but Honestly I'm a lot happier and he has really gone over and above what we discussed and come in under price so if you need a good mechanic/fabricator in Sydney please don't hesitate to inbox me and I'd be happy to give you he's details)
these are the progress pics I got of him, so I'll upload more by the end of next week but this should be updated fairly regularly from now on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My rocky build thread with Stainless steel snorkle, 31" tyres, bigger turbo and more...

DiGiT
Here and there

Unread post by DiGiT » March 9th, 2015, 3:29 pm

How have you guys found the larger tires on the Rocky? I'm still running standard but want to go larger, just worried about the gear ratio's and how it'd go crawling up steps etc with the bigger tires.

Been loving the build so far, can't wait to see more!
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8L Diesel Intercooled Turbo
www.turnedon.com.au

LittleGem
Been here a while

Unread post by LittleGem » March 9th, 2015, 3:34 pm

love the 31's but will be going 32's in the not to distant future to be honest the highway they do need the bigger tyres, I couldn't imagine them doing 110 down the motorway on standard. but 31's fit easy as and 32's just need a 2 inch lift or 33's with a slight bit of cutting

NZRocky
Here and there

Unread post by NZRocky » March 10th, 2015, 4:17 am

I agree bigger tyres are better on road for bringing the revs down a bit, I find myself wishing for a 6th gear every time I hit the highway :rolleyes: Not many rocks over here in NZ so haven't found low range to be a problem but I have dropped back from 33's to 31's as been doing a bit of towing recently and helps with the hills. Going to try 32's as a compromise between the two and see how I like them.

LittleGem
Been here a while

Unread post by LittleGem » March 13th, 2015, 2:07 pm

How she sits at the moment, now unfortunately (it's a real travesty :lol:) the turbo is on the way out so it's booked in the end of next week for a new bigger turbo and tune this has unfortunately set the front locker back about 4 weeks but that is still on the list and for some reason the new rims and tyres are scrubbing on the front mud flaps (there is no difference in size just H/T- A/T so there is a lot of small jobs to get sorted (finish of the interior lighting and install the polaris double din headunit)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » March 13th, 2015, 3:31 pm

there is a fair bit of actual size difference between brands. A BFG can be much bigger/smaller than a Mickey T in the same size. MT's are almost always a little bit bigger than the same size AT's.
Anyway, a nice little truck mate. You must be happy with that!

LittleGem
Been here a while

Unread post by LittleGem » March 13th, 2015, 3:36 pm

yeah mate I am, and yeah its nothing winding the torsion bars up a little wont fix however did change my perspective on chucking the 32's straight on so will have to do a complete suspension lift before i can go a head with them.

DiGiT
Here and there

Unread post by DiGiT » March 19th, 2015, 9:16 am

LittleGem wrote:yeah mate I am, and yeah its nothing winding the torsion bars up a little wont fix however did change my perspective on chucking the 32's straight on so will have to do a complete suspension lift before i can go a head with them.
When i went out a couple weeks ago, I found a suspension lift would have been really useful, so speaking to Ultimate Suspension for a lift, as their kit seems the best for the price, $1660 all up, 50mm raised. It's about $1160 just for parts if you want to do it yourself, which I reckon is easily worth the extra $90 over the Tough Dog which only raises you 40mm. And Ultimate Suspension has a fair bit of experience with Daihatsu's.

I'm booking mine in today for next week or the week after so will let you know how it goes once it's under. Might start my own thread...
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8L Diesel Intercooled Turbo
www.turnedon.com.au

LittleGem
Been here a while

Unread post by LittleGem » March 20th, 2015, 12:12 pm

let me know how you go with ultimate as that's a fair bit cheaper then what they quoted me

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » March 21st, 2015, 8:14 pm

I had a Rocky 2.8 turbo diesel a few years ago, It didn't have torsion bars tho, when did they go to IFS?

NZRocky
Here and there

Unread post by NZRocky » March 22nd, 2015, 11:21 am

In 1993ish, also converted to a coil sprung rear so they are a lot more comfy to drive than the old leaf sprung boneshakers!

Also the prices you guys have quoted for a lift seem ridiculous! I bought a pair of dobinsons rear coils for $250, chucked them in myself and wound up the torsion bars to match. Works pretty well but it is impossible to lift the front enough to level it out due to the way IFS is designed.

LittleGem
Been here a while

Unread post by LittleGem » March 22nd, 2015, 12:51 pm

yeah and those Dobinsons haven't got the best rep, know a few guys running them and with a matter of days/weeks they sagged, I'm looking at doing something in the mean time with tough dog coils (better weight) but still haven't decided as to yet. dunno If I mentioned it here yet but the rocky is in getting a bigger turbo by Garret as we peak and tune, got it compression tested and got good even numbers across all cylinders.

NZRocky
Here and there

Unread post by NZRocky » March 24th, 2015, 3:27 pm

My springs have been fitted for about 6 months now with regular heavy loads and general abuse and no sign of sagging yet. Will be interesting to see what difference your new turbo makes, hopefully there won't be any more lag than standard.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”