WD21's New (old) Terrano - Project Overkill

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
GUVNA
Getting to know the place

Re: WD21's New (old) Terrano - Project Overkill

Unread post by GUVNA » April 1st, 2016, 9:36 am

Thanks, i'll find out cost of rebonding then compare.
Do you know if i need just one for each rear wheel as its only to engage parking brake and has new discs so do both rear wheels need drum shoes?
The part is about $18 and appears to be just singular.
The repco service guy was suggesting it may cost hundreds to rebond for both rear wheels!

GUVNA

Unread post by GUVNA » April 1st, 2016, 2:21 pm

Rebecca at rockauto says $18 is for a pair but also that they're for pathfinders,
i figure that its right as you say since terrano's were pathfinders in U.S.? she didn't know.
If i get one pair for one wheel is that ok to handle parkbrake and which wheel would be better if one is adequate to do? (since got new discs) would having only one wheel done effect overall braking/safety/wear etc?
otherwise i'll get two pairs but postage is still extra for second pair which i thought was odd - $40 postage 1 pair so $60 total or $65 postage two pairs so $102 total) and doing both wheels will cost more to get done by mechanic.($175 for labour if both wheels done and $195 for rebonding of all 4 shoes)
- so even getting both pairs new delivered $90 cheaper!, but if i can save $40 more on parts ands halve labour even better.

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » April 4th, 2016, 10:34 pm

You'll need one kit per wheel.
Do both. If you only have one side functioning and the transmission/gearbox/transfer is in neutral there is nothing to stop the other wheel spinning.

They are the correct part. I fitted two to my rebuilt rear axle with no problems.
New Terrano build!
Nismo, Eaton, Bilstein, Moog, Recaro, Superior Engineering, King Springs and more...

GUVNA

Unread post by GUVNA » April 5th, 2016, 4:50 pm

cool thanks, will do, at least labour will be less as only have to take wheels off once to change and 95 less for parts is still 95 less ja.
appreciate your advice, i got a 450 litre roof pod on order i hope will fit ok then heading to airlie beach, will get it shoes sent there, find mech to do then register in qld before nsw one runs out at end of april. gonna stay there for a while and check it out, david.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”