WD21's New (old) Terrano - Project Overkill

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
GUVNA
Getting to know the place

Re: WD21's New (old) Terrano - Project Overkill

Unread post by GUVNA » January 14th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Hi, i have an auto 1990 terrano 2.7td 2 door,says 180,ish kms, the same colour as yours!
i just drove it home yesterday from a dealer in sth qld. no rego but got daypass to drive to nsw.
now i have to get blueslip then register then theft/fire insurance-all next week.
the dealer gave me 1yr warranty but it won't start till registered after blueslip check.
i know verrry little about cars and never had 4wd. i don't even know if you can change gears with manual type gearstick while driving. i can drive manual though- used to have a pulsar ti.
Driving the 80 odd kms home, the handbrake lever and auto transmission area were both quite warm/hot. the handbrake is very 'loose?' but i had accepted the idea of fixing this to get blueslip if necessary, and anything else could wait till warranty was going(such as whistling sound,perhaps from turbo which only happens when accelerating and sounds like is on the driver side.)
would the heat be from dodgy handbrake or something else, i read it may be- diff bearings;shifter seal;insulation or even electical earthing issue. The temp gauges are fine though(turbo gauge is not functioning though)
it runs quite nicely and if heat issue was not there or hissing/whistling turbo was quieter, it would be sweet.
-can you suggest anything to ask mechanics about?
-also i'm after a spare wheel and spare holder for back as were not on it, bolts are still there.can you suggest a place?
i would love to do full reno like you but looking for work this year and as i said i know zip mechanically. maybe over time.
cheers, Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » January 15th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Hi Dave,

Things must be different in QLD, dealers can't sell unregistered/unroadworthy cars over here!

That's a lengthy post, I'll try and break it down...

The transfer case can be shifted from 2H to 4H at up to 40km/h.
Only do it when driving in a straight line under minimal throttle.
As you have automatic front hubs, it is recommended to reverse a couple of meters and apply the footbrake once you've changed back to 2H.
Changing in and out of 4L must be done while the vehicle is stationary. Recommend placing transmission in Park, as I've noticed the transmission tends to spin a bit if left in Neutral, making the change a bit difficult.

If the trans tunnel was noticeably hot when driving, then it's probably worth doing a filter/fluid change on the transmission.
These transmissions NEED an aftermarket transmission cooler. This is not so much a cooling issue as it is an issue with the stock cooler in the bottom of the radiator - it tends to corrode and result in coolant leaking into the transmission.

Handbrake is adjusted by adjusting the shoes behind the rear discs. It's likely you will need to remove the rear discs to access the adjustment.

As mentioned, heat is likely the transmission.

The factory temp gauge should sit just under the half-way mark - as per the standard on most cars.
The whistling turbo you describe and the boost gauge not working sounds like the air line to the boost gauge is leaking/damaged. Find it and repair it and that should fix both those issues.
A boost gauge suggests the previous owner may have adjusted the boost, and may have even attempted to adjust the fuelling on the fuel pump.
From factory spec, these motors are good up to 16 PSI boost. The fuel pump should not need adjustment from the original spec.

I strongly recommend a thorough cooling system inspection. These vehicles are often neglected as a lot of mechanics pull the "it's an import, I'm not touching it" card.
Check the coolant condition, thermostat and radiator cap.

As for sourcing another wheel carrier, just keep an eye out for vehicles being parted out.

Hope this helps, best regards,
Jaspar
New Terrano build!
Nismo, Eaton, Bilstein, Moog, Recaro, Superior Engineering, King Springs and more...

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » January 15th, 2015, 7:10 pm

As for the Terrano project - it's been running and serving me well.
Not long after getting it all running smoothly, I picked up some extra temp work that saw me working 70 hours a week, and clocking roughly 450-500kms a week between jobs.
The result of this was I got a bit tired of being slow, uncomfortable (the Recaro seats only helped so much) and inefficient.
So about 6 weeks ago I picked up a 2011 NT Pajero.
Absolutely beautiful car - couldn't be happier.

The Terrano will live on however. It will be replacing my mother's Camry which is falling to bits! :thumb:
New Terrano build!
Nismo, Eaton, Bilstein, Moog, Recaro, Superior Engineering, King Springs and more...

GUVNA

Unread post by GUVNA » January 15th, 2015, 11:03 pm

hey Jaspar, thanks heaps for response.

i know it was a lot. the car was registered in qld but only had month left and so i got it for less by just doing new rego myself.
i think they need to have r.w.certificate to sell in qld. the whole transfer of reg. was complicated.
-hopefully adjusting handbrake will let it through blueslip. i will then try to get cooler/transmission and turbo fixed on warranty. your advice is very helpfull.
-the turbo guage is factory i think, one of three little dials on middle of dash above radio/aircon area. left one is water temp, middle is turbo and i forget the right one.

If you have any general tips for a novice to aid efficiency etc. then i would definitely appreciate.
cheers again and heres hoping in a week or two i will be able to enjoy it, Dave.

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » January 16th, 2015, 3:12 am

GUVNA wrote:-the turbo guage is factory i think, one of three little dials on middle of dash above radio/aircon area. left one is water temp, middle is turbo and i forget the right one.
Dave,

There's a snowball's chance in hell that the turbo gauge is factory. I've worked on these cars for seven years now. Never seen one. Same again for the other gauges near it.
Sounds like you're referring to what was originally the Clinometer/Altimeter pod - often gutted and used to mount aftermarket gauges.
GUVNA wrote:If you have any general tips for a novice to aid efficiency etc. then i would definitely appreciate.
cheers again and heres hoping in a week or two i will be able to enjoy it, Dave.
If you're referring to fuel efficiency - there's not a lot you can do.
- Run the tyre profile it was designed for. By the look of yours I'd estimate it's HG46 (4.625) differentials, which designates a 235/75R15 tyre.
- Make sure valve clearances have been adjusted. Spec is 0.035mm.
- Block the EGR system.
- Fit an intercooler - is there an intercooler under that scoop?
Most of all - remember it's built like a truck. If you try and drive it like a car, you're going to chew fuel.

I saw consistent 10.5L/100kms in mine.
New Terrano build!

GUVNA

Unread post by GUVNA » January 18th, 2015, 6:39 pm

hi Jaspar,
- Your right, i looked again at dials and are added for sure.dark middle one not working is actually oil temp. turbo one doesn't move and water temp doesn't either, but i guess i wouldn't want it to anyway. maybe their all bungo. i might take out and put a mat over the area. A friend wreckons the whirring may be aircon/fan related not turbo. it wasn't there when i started it for him. i had aircon off when drove home from dealer though, just fan, the aircon may need new gas too as not very cold when i did try it .
- i don't know about intercooler but will need at least one tyre for spare and will get similar to what you suggest. will try do rest as you say in service soonish, i can spend a little then to avoid probs.

cheers Dave

arccrew
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by arccrew » January 27th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Hi Jaspar,

I bought a 92 Terrano a few years back, I'm a bit of a novice at fixing cars (but getting better everyday!).
Every time I look for something about terranos, I'm pretty sure I'll come across one of your posts. I have to say they're always very informative and have helped a lot for keeping my wd21 in good shape.
So thanks for sharing !

I love this car and I'd like to keep it running as long as possible, I though with your expertise on this car you might be able to give some good tips here.

- I have a leak near the Turbo (I believe it's diesel, not oil). See pictures.

I haven't noticed any over consumption (it's roughly ~10-11L/100km, which is pretty good I think). I showed it to a couple of mechanics and they both told me that it was nothing.
Still I think having oil spilling all over the place is not a good thing, so I'd prefer to fix it if I can.
Do you have an idea what could be the source of the leak ?

- And here is a link to post I made a while ago.;
http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/ ... -blinking/
Odd problem to which I have no solution yet...
Any clue ?

Thank you!

Alex Garner
Here and there

Unread post by Alex Garner » January 28th, 2015, 12:18 am

Enjoyed that read mate! You've sure put a lot of work into the old girl, will be reliable for years to come!

I've heard a few people say now that those polyurethane bushes are a harsh ride too, seems like good old fashioned rubber is the way to go!
"The 4wd, Camping and Outdoor Adventure Blog" http://www.intentsoffroad.com GU Patrol driver. Always late in the 2.8! (but at least she gets me there!)
[url=http://intentsoffroad.com]

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » January 28th, 2015, 5:39 pm

arccrew wrote:Hi Jaspar,

I bought a 92 Terrano a few years back, I'm a bit of a novice at fixing cars (but getting better everyday!).
Every time I look for something about terranos, I'm pretty sure I'll come across one of your posts. I have to say they're always very informative and have helped a lot for keeping my wd21 in good shape.
So thanks for sharing !

I love this car and I'd like to keep it running as long as possible, I though with your expertise on this car you might be able to give some good tips here.

- I have a leak near the Turbo (I believe it's diesel, not oil). See pictures.

I haven't noticed any over consumption (it's roughly ~10-11L/100km, which is pretty good I think). I showed it to a couple of mechanics and they both told me that it was nothing.
Still I think having oil spilling all over the place is not a good thing, so I'd prefer to fix it if I can.
Do you have an idea what could be the source of the leak ?

- And here is a link to post I made a while ago.;
http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/ ... -blinking/
Odd problem to which I have no solution yet...
Any clue ?

Thank you!
Your oil leak isn't really an issue (it's oil).
That flexible coupling is simply old and worn out.
Mine is fairly similar.
Replace it with a 2.25" silicon join and a couple of new hose clamps, and it should be fine.
That oil comes from the PCV valve on top of the rocker cover, and is propelled into the intake by the turbo.
In some cases the oil seals on a turbo will wear out, and that will cause additional oil vapour to make its way to the intake.

Looking closer at that middle picture, it looks as though some of the oil vapour may be escaping when the PRV (Pressure Relief Valve) is opening.
That valve should only open if there is a fault with the turbo's wastegate and it is unable to open, resulting in overboost.
I can't recall the pressure rating of the valve - I think it might be around 17-18 PSI.

Check your wastegate actuator - you should be able to move it by hand - it takes quite a bit of force though.

I can't help determine the fault with your glow plug relay, but when I get a chance I will have a look so that I can let you know which relay it is.
New Terrano build!

arccrew
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by arccrew » January 30th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Thanks I'll try to replace the sillicon join, see how it goes.

After close inspection, it's seems that the oil is coming out from this valve (the PVR you mentionned?)

I've tried to check the wastegate actuator but I can't make the thing move.

But first, is this actually the wastegate actuator ?

If so, is it supposed to move in the same direction as the arrow ?

Thanks !

GUVNA

Unread post by GUVNA » March 24th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Hi again,
my delayed by (dodgy dealer) blue slip service is back on and i've gotta put a standard air filter box in
temporarily. do you have any of these from your rebuild? or can you suggest an ok source, i'm in north nsw.
i also need new cv joints, what do you suggest for value/quality.
-i found out an insulation plate was missing under handbrake area which was letting hot air in and luckily
found one and some new handbrake cables at local wrecker. hopefully that prob. is fixed.
cheers, any advice appreciated :fish:

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » April 12th, 2015, 6:23 pm

GUVNA wrote:Hi again,
my delayed by (dodgy dealer) blue slip service is back on and i've gotta put a standard air filter box in
temporarily. do you have any of these from your rebuild? or can you suggest an ok source, i'm in north nsw.
i also need new cv joints, what do you suggest for value/quality.
-i found out an insulation plate was missing under handbrake area which was letting hot air in and luckily
found one and some new handbrake cables at local wrecker. hopefully that prob. is fixed.
cheers, any advice appreciated :fish:
Hi mate,

Sorry for the delayed response, have been pretty busy just lately.
I don't know of any sources for an air box unfortunately.
I do have one left over but the top plate had the lip for the hose cut off by someone so I would not recommend it!
I think the later D21 Navaras switched to the same style of air box (I estimate 93 onwards).

Do you need new CV joints, or just the boots?
If you only need new boots, and are able to rebuild them yourself, it can be done quite cheaply.
However, if you're not confident enough to rebuild them yourself (or don't have the tools), the rates that mechanics charge mean it can often be worth simply fitting new units from Repco.
Definitely worth shopping around.

You'll need to check whether your CVs attach to the differential flange with 3 pairs of bolts, or with 5 bolts in a star pattern.
If they are 3 pairs of bolts, you need CVs for a 4cyl Pathfinder.
If they are 5 bolts in a star pattern, you need CVs for a V6 Pathfinder.

Hope this helps a little bit. I admit I'm getting a little rusty (as are the brake discs on the Terrano!). :o
New Terrano build!

GUVNA

Unread post by GUVNA » April 21st, 2015, 12:26 am

Thanks for that, i ended up getting ok'd on air filter so that saves a hassle. the mechanic ordered the cv parts and is getting power steering reconditioned. Then it'll be sweet, (after i get speakers and those dials on dash rewired)

he did a radiator flush and a $99 mini service thing too and said was in good nic. ignoring the possibly innacurate klms.
(180,000), whats your estimate on the cars value. i'm keeping it am just interested to know roughly.

should be registered by end of week so i'm pysched, haven't had a car in ages and despite these delays(that dealer will probably get billed for) i reallly think its great. i read the engines are very v.good too so i plan too have it for some time.

cheers again, Dave :cool:

GUVNA

Unread post by GUVNA » March 31st, 2016, 9:29 am

Hi again,
My terrano has been good since got transmission cooler fitted and have insulation plate for under handbrake console area where hot air comes up but haven't got it put in yet.
I recently got rear brake pads put in and guy at repco said he didn't know what drum shoe would go on and suggested rebonding(i've just been doing without handbrake engaging for a year but coming up for rego soon)
Do you know if there is suitable ones to order or what you would suggest doing?
cheers, david

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » March 31st, 2016, 12:20 pm

I could never find park brake shoes in Australia - only shoes for the Pathfinder fitted with drum brakes.

You'll need to order Centric 11106350 from RockAuto.com
New Terrano build!

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”