Bit quiet in here lately, but the work never stops.
The rear locker has been fine ever since it was pulled out and cleaned by the workshop, so that's been a real relief.
I recently took a delivery from the USA containing all new rubber suspension bushes, and all new genuine rubber body mounts.
According to Nissan USA, two of the body mounts I ordered were the last two in stock in the USA.
The bushes are currently in zip-lock bags in the freezer so that they will hopefully shrink by some barely measurable amount overnight. I made up some dies to press/hammer the new bushes in out of some jarrah.
Work will commence on replacing the bushes tomorrow. Hoping to have it done within three days (before I go back to work).
I got fed up with the small Autotecnica wheel, and sourced an N14 Pulsar steering wheel. It wasn't cheap, and turns out the glue is breaking down and seeping through the upholstery.
The extra diameter however, has been fantastic.
It turns out the Autotecnica wheel I had, was not the 360mm claimed, but actually 345mm. Mongrels!
I am sourcing an OMP Velocita wheel in 380mm, with collapsible boss kit.
Has a nice thick 25x30mm grip, so will be a lot nicer than the N14 Pulsar wheel.
I spent Thursday playing about with the TPS adjustment, to see if I could get it to hold gear a little longer without needing more throttle (and fuel).
The factory specification is between 0.2V and 0.6V at no throttle, but it shifts up far too early.
When I started, the TPS was already set to 0.8V. I adjusted to 1.1V for the sake of experimentation - definitely too far!
I scaled it back to 0.95V (half way between the two), and it's much better.
Might be better still at 0.9V.
The downside of this is that without it returning to below 0.6V at no throttle, I don't think the trans brake effect is kicking in. Not really an issue on road, but off road, would be catastrophic!
Will play with it a little more over the course of the week and see how it goes.
With it heating up a bit around these parts, I suddenly remembered I have to sort my air conditioning out.
But of course, it wouldn't be one of my tasks without doing lots of silly custom stuff...
The stock Calsonic/Zexel DKV-14C compressor is to be replaced with a Sanden SD7H15. There's only about 15cc difference in displacement so it won't be an issue.
The existing DKV-14C has a shot bearing in the pulley/clutch, and they're not service friendly like the Sandens.
A new DKV-14C is $1400 off the shelf in AU, or US$300 plus freight from the USA.
I have sourced a pair of SD7H15's from the USA for $445 delivered.
This will require a custom made bracket, and a bit of stuffing about with custom fittings/hoses by Aeroflow.
The advantage however is that I'll be able to hang the second SD7H15 off of the first, and use it as an air compressor.
Changing the stock DKV-14C to the Sanden provides an extra pulley groove to drive the second comp, as well as mounting ears so the second unit has somewhere to mount to.
As usual the list of parts I want to buy is growing much faster than I can keep up with!
So progress will likely be slow for a little while yet.
I'll post up some pictures when I have something to show.