WD21's New (old) Terrano - Project Overkill

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
WD21
Part of the furniture

Re: WD21's New (old) Terrano - Project Overkill

Unread post by WD21 » July 31st, 2014, 8:01 pm

Have to throw these photos up in a separate post if everyone wants to see them, looks like I've gotten in trouble about the number of images per post. Oops!
WD21 wrote:New idler arm bushings and Superior Engineering idler arm brace.
WD21 wrote:New Moog centre link and inner tie-rod ends. Some will notice this is not the OE setup. This is widely known as a "2WD steering conversion". Nissan stuffed up the steering design on the 4WD models (WD21, D21, D22, WD22, etc). This rectifies the issue with mostly off the shelf parts.
While I was at the machine shop, I had them re-drill and tap the tie-rod adjusters to accept the 2WD inner tie-rod ends - they are 18mm instead of the 16mm 4WD tie-rod ends (Did I mention Nissan stuffed this up?).
WD21 wrote:New front suspension bushings and front/rear sway bar links - adjustable/extended rear sway bar links:
WD21 wrote:Bilstein shock absorbers. No big deal. :cool:
Fronts are standard 4600 series. Rears are 5100 series. Larger internal bore, different valving, and length to suit a 2" lift.
WD21 wrote:Custom offset front differential bushings.
These serve two purposes. They can drop the existing differential about 10mm, for the sake of CV angles. Or they can allow an R200A diff to clear the sump of a 4 cylinder motor.
WD21 wrote:This is an R200A that I pulled from a '93 V6 WD21. But 4.375 gearing was not going to help me.
I supplied WA Diff Centre with the complete unit, and a new NISMO ring & pinion set - 5.143 ratio to compensate for my tyre profile. This is the diff ready to fit.
Last edited by WD21 on July 31st, 2014, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Terrano build!
Nismo, Eaton, Bilstein, Moog, Recaro, Superior Engineering, King Springs and more...

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » July 31st, 2014, 8:59 pm

WD21 wrote:This is the H233b rear from my donor vehicle.
I stripped all brake hardware from it, cleaned it, painted it a couple of times, and then supplied it to Opposite Lock with a NISMO 5.143 ring & pinion set, and all the necessary wheel bearing hardware.
They rebuilt the entire thing from end to end, and fitted an Eaton ELocker. :thumb:
WD21 wrote:Another little piece of NISMO bling, because I can. :D
WD21 wrote:Finally, I picked this up on the weekend for a pretty good deal - '97 QD32 motor. Will store this so I can rebuild it at a later date.
New Terrano build!
Nismo, Eaton, Bilstein, Moog, Recaro, Superior Engineering, King Springs and more...

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » August 1st, 2014, 7:30 pm

So it turns out that the baffle plates I ordered/modified wouldn't mate up with the hub seals.
I ended up cutting down, cleaning and painting the original baffle plates.

Knocked up some brackets to drop the handbrake cable hangers.

Got the rotors and hubs fitted today.

Mounted up the callipers, and while they clear and bolt up, there is a very gentle scrubbing on the inside face of the calliper.
Had a chat with my machinist today and arranged to take the rotors in to be shaved down by 2mm on Monday.

Getting very close now. :cool:
New Terrano build!

Treefinder
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Treefinder » August 1st, 2014, 11:48 pm

Awesome!
Currently doing front end work on my D21,
Curious about the 2wd steering setup, what does it consist of? Moog Centre link, 2wd inners and 4wd outers?
Pete.

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » August 2nd, 2014, 12:22 am

That's pretty much it.
If your two door is an '89 then it'll be easy.
If you use Moog parts, you'll need:
2x ES3051L 4WD tie rod end
2x ES2998RL 2WD tie rod end
1x DS1061 2WD centrelink

I got all my Moog parts (and an awful lot of other stuff) from RockAuto.com - brilliant website.

Then you just need someone to drill out the RH threaded side on the tie-rod adjusters and cut an M18x1.5 thread instead of the M16x1.5 thread.
The LH thread side on the tie rod adjusters is marked with little nicks in the edges of the hex faces.
New Terrano build!

Treefinder
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Treefinder » August 2nd, 2014, 8:21 am

Great, thanks for the info & part numbers, I've already got an account with Rockauto.
Pete.

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » August 2nd, 2014, 12:43 pm

Too easy!
Just a heads-up: if you use a steering damper, the mounting tabs on the Moog centrelink are on the wrong side, being LHD.
It should be easy enough to swap the chassis bracket to the other side, as the holes are already in the chassis for it.
Only problem is that they don't have a thread behind them, they're just holes.
I haven't looked into it yet, but at this stage I think the easiest fix is to put some riv-nuts in the holes.
New Terrano build!

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » August 4th, 2014, 11:15 pm

No photos because nothing has visibly happened today.
Dropped rotors off to be machined, but seems machinist was off sick. Will probably pick them up tomorrow.

Finished fitting up the Provent 100 PCV Filter.
Replaced the motor mounts with new ones. Definitely a job that should be done while the transmission is out!

Tightened up the play in the steering box, which was pretty bad. Various positions of the steering wheel would yield a straight line, and keeping the vehicle in a straight line was a bit of a challenge on the freeway.

Eventually ran out of things to do come late afternoon, so I went through all my wheel nuts with a tap to clean up the threads and keep them in good nick. Will go over the studs with a die before I mount the wheels up.
New Terrano build!

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » August 5th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Here's the condition that the RHS motor mount was in. Hopefully should be a lot less shake and rattle from the motor now!

Got the front brakes sorted, bled everything, and got the wheels (and new tyres - 235/85R16 Dueler 697 AT) mounted.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll work on levelling out the torsion bars, getting it to start (battery will be flat), fix up the idle speed and hand throttle, calibrate the tacho, then take it for a wheel alignment. :thumb:
New Terrano build!

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » August 5th, 2014, 8:36 pm

cool project, doing a good job on it.

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » August 9th, 2014, 4:10 am

So I've done all the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, with the exception of calibrating the tacho.

Motor mounts have made a world of difference, especially now that it's idling at the correct speed.
I made sure to take any slop out of the throttle links once the idle speed was corrected.

The tyre fitter that performed the wheel alignment said it "Drives like the day it was built".

It drives well, but performance suspension for a two tonne vehicle is bloody stiff!
Will certainly take some getting used to.

My Provent 100 seems to have eliminated any white smoke at the exhaust at high RPM.

I have fixed a plethora of various oil leaks over the past six weeks, turbo lines, vac pump return lines, and the sump gasket.
It seems I'm still leaking from the bell housing, which would indicate either the rear main seal or gasket.
I replaced both about 18 months ago, so either I should have dressed the gasket, or there is sufficient wear in the crankshaft bearings to chew out the oil seal.
I'm certainly in no hurry to pull the transmission to sort it out. It can wait a while. :o

Now I just have to go easy on it for the first 1000kms and hope nothing goes wrong! :worry:
New Terrano build!

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » August 9th, 2014, 9:32 am

Sweet it lives...

Sexy wheels :p
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » August 15th, 2014, 12:07 am

stretch4x4 wrote:Sexy wheels :p
;)

This is actually my second set. The first set had 0mm offset, and scrubbed at full lock/upward travel.
From memory, I think these are +30. They line up with the guards much better and clear perfectly.

Some observations: Urethane bushes, no matter how pliable the manifacturer may claim, do not belong on a 4WD.
I was so looking forward to a nice smooth drive once all this work was carried out, but instead it transfers all small inconsistencies in the road like you would expect of a horse-cart - think big wooden spoked wheels and no suspension.
This combined with our poorly maintained roads, makes for a very fatiguing drive.
I will work on sourcing appropriate rubber bushes to replace the urethane ones. Will probably go with Moog, as they're a consistent quality product and cheaper than genuine.
The rear panhard bushes will need to be genuine for the chassis end and Mackay or Kelpro (if Kelpro makes bushes) for the axle end.

I am in the process of organising some custom work with a bloke in the US whose work can only be described as art. I won't reveal too much until I recieve the finished product.

Hoping for a swift resolution of my locker woes!
New Terrano build!

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » September 20th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Bit quiet in here lately, but the work never stops.

The rear locker has been fine ever since it was pulled out and cleaned by the workshop, so that's been a real relief.

I recently took a delivery from the USA containing all new rubber suspension bushes, and all new genuine rubber body mounts.
According to Nissan USA, two of the body mounts I ordered were the last two in stock in the USA.
The bushes are currently in zip-lock bags in the freezer so that they will hopefully shrink by some barely measurable amount overnight. I made up some dies to press/hammer the new bushes in out of some jarrah.
Work will commence on replacing the bushes tomorrow. Hoping to have it done within three days (before I go back to work).

I got fed up with the small Autotecnica wheel, and sourced an N14 Pulsar steering wheel. It wasn't cheap, and turns out the glue is breaking down and seeping through the upholstery.
The extra diameter however, has been fantastic.
It turns out the Autotecnica wheel I had, was not the 360mm claimed, but actually 345mm. Mongrels!

I am sourcing an OMP Velocita wheel in 380mm, with collapsible boss kit.
Has a nice thick 25x30mm grip, so will be a lot nicer than the N14 Pulsar wheel.

I spent Thursday playing about with the TPS adjustment, to see if I could get it to hold gear a little longer without needing more throttle (and fuel).
The factory specification is between 0.2V and 0.6V at no throttle, but it shifts up far too early.
When I started, the TPS was already set to 0.8V. I adjusted to 1.1V for the sake of experimentation - definitely too far!
I scaled it back to 0.95V (half way between the two), and it's much better.
Might be better still at 0.9V.
The downside of this is that without it returning to below 0.6V at no throttle, I don't think the trans brake effect is kicking in. Not really an issue on road, but off road, would be catastrophic!
Will play with it a little more over the course of the week and see how it goes.

With it heating up a bit around these parts, I suddenly remembered I have to sort my air conditioning out.
But of course, it wouldn't be one of my tasks without doing lots of silly custom stuff...

The stock Calsonic/Zexel DKV-14C compressor is to be replaced with a Sanden SD7H15. There's only about 15cc difference in displacement so it won't be an issue.
The existing DKV-14C has a shot bearing in the pulley/clutch, and they're not service friendly like the Sandens.
A new DKV-14C is $1400 off the shelf in AU, or US$300 plus freight from the USA.

I have sourced a pair of SD7H15's from the USA for $445 delivered. :thumb:
This will require a custom made bracket, and a bit of stuffing about with custom fittings/hoses by Aeroflow.

The advantage however is that I'll be able to hang the second SD7H15 off of the first, and use it as an air compressor.
Changing the stock DKV-14C to the Sanden provides an extra pulley groove to drive the second comp, as well as mounting ears so the second unit has somewhere to mount to.

As usual the list of parts I want to buy is growing much faster than I can keep up with!
So progress will likely be slow for a little while yet.

I'll post up some pictures when I have something to show. :)
New Terrano build!

WD21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by WD21 » September 25th, 2014, 7:39 pm

So, unsurprisingly, it took a day to completely change all the rear suspension bushings.
Monday was a very productive day.

Changing the front is of course, a different story.

I ended up making a puller out of some threaded rod and large sockets to press the lower control arm bushing. Worked a treat on the driver's side.
Tried to do the passenger side today, and the threads galled.
So, went and got some more nuts and cut another length of rod.
Then the bushing deformed instead of pressing. It was cactus. :(
It only had another 15-20mm to go before it was all the way in, but that would be too easy!

I've now made up a steel die to use on the threaded rod, and have ordered two more bushings from the US via Fedex.
Will be here in less than a week.
Will need to cut out the shell that's in there.
Then plan to ream it out with a die grinder, give the new bushing shell a quick rub with a bench sander, freeze the new bushing and heat the chassis to buggery with the heat gun.

These things are a mongrel of a job. :(
New Terrano build!

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”