Blown HJ45 Ute.

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
RaceFace
Here and there

Blown HJ45 Ute.

Unread post by RaceFace » May 14th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Hi all,

I have just finished building my cruiser that I have been working on for the last 10 months.
Its an entire ground up rebuild with 95% of the fabrication, paint, panel and assembly done by myself including the engine conversion etc. The chassis has been blasted and painted, Supercharged LS1 currently running 8.5lb boost, 4l60e gearbox and 80 series transfer case, twin 3" exhaust, complete fibreglass body on it (I have fibreglassed the steel vents and foot vent in to the body kit), full respray, custom made tray, custom made 160lt fuel tank, 60 series rear diff housing with 80 series LSD, 60 series swivels and disk brake front end, 60 series power steering conversion, EFS leaves, shockies and bushes, PWR radiator with Davies Craig thermo fan.

I have also refurbished the instrument cluster and glovebox etc. All interior is badically standard except the custom overhead console.

Please have a look at some progressive shots and feel free to leave comments.

Thanks

Harb
Need to get out more

Re: Blown HJ45 Ute.

Unread post by Harb » May 14th, 2014, 6:36 pm

Very nice mate.....done with class for sure !! very tidy

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » May 14th, 2014, 7:07 pm

All I will say is I'm drooling.... ;)

Very nice mate, good work!!!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » May 14th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Wow. That is all!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » May 14th, 2014, 8:03 pm

brilliant. love the factory colour look

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » May 14th, 2014, 11:36 pm

I am also very impressed. and more then a little jelous :)
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

RaceFace
Here and there

Unread post by RaceFace » May 15th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Cheers! It has been one hell of a project but im pretty happy with how it has gone so far.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » May 15th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Did I just read 'so far'? I bet you haven't finished this - it never ends!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Frank the dog
Been here a while

Unread post by Frank the dog » May 17th, 2014, 3:59 pm

G'day RaceFace,

Thanks very much for posting some photos of your truck. If possible could you please post up a bunch more during the build process and provide a bit of an explanation.

I would also be interested in what your feelings are about the fibreglass panels. I would also be interested in what the story is with the origin of the engine.

It is truly a gorgeous build. I love the original paint colour and that fact that you haven't buggered a classic looking vehicle by making gimmicky changes to it.

Cheers,

Ben

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 17th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Please remember to post NO MORE than 6 pics on any one post as per our rules & guidelines, any more pics/attachments in any one post and there's a good chance that at least some people (if not all) won't be able to open the thread/post... :(

And it is a seriously good looking truck now, great job!! I'm sure that there are lots of us who do want to see more! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

RaceFace
Here and there

Unread post by RaceFace » May 17th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Haha that's correct Aaron. I'm due to take the cruiser across the Simpson in 2-3 weeks time so no doubt I'll have repairs to do after that trip!

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the feedback mate.
I am basically finished with 95% of the build but I have taken hundreds of photos in the meantime.
Ill post them up over the next few weeks etc. the fiberglass panels have been great so far. they were easy to work with but you do have to be rather patient while doing body work etc. fitting them took a lot of time and effort I guess but now its together to look at you wouldn't know it is fibreglass.

The engine is a 5.7lt V8 LS1 out of the VT/VX era Holden Commodore. I have fitted a Magnuson supercharger with a 12PSI pulley upgrade and a mild cam. dual 3" exhaust sends out a nice note from the back.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself playing around with an already perfectly shaped car such as the ol 45. I wanted the build to look like a stock / basic landcruiser but it could pull a few surprise shots when it has to perform on the strip. once I have finished tuning the car and proving its reliability ill be hitting a dyno and 1/4 mile track to see how it really goes.

cheers.

RaceFace
Here and there

Unread post by RaceFace » May 17th, 2014, 7:41 pm

My apologies Peter Aawen, I am really new to this forum. Ill stick to six at a time from now on. Hardest part is picking only 6 to post!

Ill start with these.

I started by cutting steel vents out for the bonnet and body from a donor car. I then cut and fibreglassed them into the new panels.

I then made some seatbelt mounts. I bought the car as a running half assed build and the seatbelt mounts were simply bolts through the glass! It looked horrible.

So I made a 10mm plate to run on the inside of the pillar and countersunk mounting bolts from the outside. I then glassed them over, filled them and flattened it all out.

RaceFace
Here and there

Unread post by RaceFace » May 17th, 2014, 7:47 pm

A lot of boring hard work went in next. I used an epoxy isolator to seal off all the glass and repairs followed by a rub back and high fill primer. Blocked it back and high filled it again. Once it hardened well enough I blocked it back, shadow coated it and wet rubbed the car down. Time for paint!!

Yes they are steel vents in a fiberglass bonnet.

Time to start on my tray!

RaceFace
Here and there

Unread post by RaceFace » May 17th, 2014, 7:52 pm

And im going to need a big fuel tank!

RaceFace
Here and there

Unread post by RaceFace » May 17th, 2014, 7:58 pm

In the last picture you can see the diff conversion going on in the background.

60 series swivels on a 45 housing and a complete 60 series rear diff with 80 series LSD center.

Now its time to bolt a supercharger to an LS1

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”