Mazda Bravo 2001 Model 4WD with BT50 Engine Transplant

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
BTavo
I'm new, be nice!

Mazda Bravo 2001 Model 4WD with BT50 Engine Transplant

Unread post by BTavo » March 16th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Just thought I'd put up a couple of pics of my rig.

2001 Mazda Bravo 4WD Cab chassis.

Mods -
2008 Mazda BT50 3L WEAT engine swap with matching gearbox & driveline
2008 Mazda BT50 complete working dash

Exterior -
16" Unknown brand Alloy rims with Maxxis Bravo tyres
Snorkel
EFS Full suspension; Uprated torsion bars, Full set of shocks & 600kg constant load rear springs with greasable shackles
TJM bullbar with Narva Driving lights
Updated front
Long range fuel tank
UHF
Towbar etc

New engine goes good. Just have the check engine light, suspect blocked or partially blocked egr valve. Will blank off once the ute is modplated. And third gear is abit crunchy, need to rev match or double clutch to engage it properly.

Couple of pics below. Cheers!

ARGUS
Here and there

Re: Mazda Bravo 2001 Model 4WD with BT50 Engine Transplant

Unread post by ARGUS » March 16th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Nice upgrade BTavo, did that include diffs aswell.More info on engine swap ect would be interesting,let us know how you go with mod plate . what state are you in. ARGUS.

Matt_Raider50
Here and there

Unread post by Matt_Raider50 » March 19th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Hi BTavo nice work on the conversion, Ive been doing the same on my 95 Raider, kinda feel a little defeated after being shown this haha.

Did you have any issues with yours clearance wise trying to use the engine driven clutch fan and being too close to the radiator as well as the BT50 airbox being too tall and hitting the bonnet?

Cheers Matt

chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » March 19th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Good work mate! It's great to see a few guys breathing life into these worthy trucks and finding some new tech performance gains. Keep up the good work boys, don't forget to show us lotsa pics and document what you did. There will be heaps others of us following in the future. Cheers! Andrew
2006 Ford Courier Super Cab 2.5TD, ARB Canopy, ARB Bullbar, ARB Rear Bar, Narva Ultima 225's, Uni Filter, Custom Roof Console, Uniden UHF, Waeco Fridge, Window Tint, Rear Drawers, 31" Geolandars

BTavo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by BTavo » March 20th, 2014, 10:46 am

ARGUS wrote:Nice upgrade BTavo, did that include diffs aswell.More info on engine swap ect would be interesting,let us know how you go with mod plate . what state are you in. ARGUS.
Cheers mate. Yeah using front and rear diffs, gearbox and front hubs.

Not running abs or airbags. Basically transferred everything over from the newer ute. Took about 3 months from start to completion. Hardest part was pretty much just running the wiring. Driveline was easy.

Only dramas I had was with the brakes. Vacuum pump was rooted. Still didn't have brakes after replacing that, so changed the booster and master cylinder aswell, but still had problems. Ended up being a bracket round the wtong way and missing a seal between the booster and master.

And no real clearance issues. Engine cover rubs on bonnet in front right corner. That's it

Glad I did it. Engine is a leap forward from my old WLT!

Cheers

chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » March 20th, 2014, 7:33 pm

So all standard engine and gearbox mounts? Did the dash pick up on original mounts? Idea of cost? Cheers! Andrew
2006 Ford Courier Super Cab 2.5TD, ARB Canopy, ARB Bullbar, ARB Rear Bar, Narva Ultima 225's, Uni Filter, Custom Roof Console, Uniden UHF, Waeco Fridge, Window Tint, Rear Drawers, 31" Geolandars

BTavo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by BTavo » March 21st, 2014, 11:36 am

Using WLT engine mounts. Need to use BT50 gearbox mounts though.

Using the dash cross brace so the mounts line up.

Cost wise, best to buy a written off vehicle and transfer everything over. 2wd would be much easier, but also not really worth it.

ARGUS
Here and there

Unread post by ARGUS » March 21st, 2014, 8:36 pm

BTavo do the 08 BT50 front and rear diffs fit the bravo without any mods.

BTavo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by BTavo » March 22nd, 2014, 11:54 am

Basically yes. Rear housing is a little larger, so ideally you might need bigger u-bolts, but I made mine fit. Front bolts in aslong as you use the associated brackets. And you need to use the driveshafts and front hubs as they are larger in diameter than the Bravo ones.

Only reason for changing them would be the ratio. One thing I didn't like with the WLT was the short diff ratio.

ARGUS
Here and there

Unread post by ARGUS » March 22nd, 2014, 5:31 pm

Thanks for the info about the diffs,looking at changing over so I can put an ELocker in the front diff.

C_Ray 1194
Here and there

Unread post by C_Ray 1194 » April 11th, 2014, 10:46 am

Hey mate kinda in an situation where i want to do this , are u saying it is not possible to use the courier diffs or wouldnt ,
and exhaust and stuff , on a uni budget is it worth doing
2004 Ford Courier TD , Ebay snorkel , boost gauge , 75W HID Beammax spotties, 31" Jihnu AT tyres, 3 inch exhaust, 20inch light bar

chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » April 11th, 2014, 8:20 pm

C_Ray I see a few engine options on gumtree at the moment. Around $2700 for a WL-T and $3300 for a WET.

Cheers! Andrew

BTavo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by BTavo » April 12th, 2014, 9:10 pm

C_Ray 1194 wrote:Hey mate kinda in an situation where i want to do this , are u saying it is not possible to use the courier diffs or wouldnt ,
and exhaust and stuff , on a uni budget is it worth doing
Hey mate, by all means you can use the courier/bravo diffs. I only changed mine so I could have the lower ratio and Speedo etc would be correct.

If youre not going to use diffs, cheapest option would be to grab a 2WD write off and maybe grab a 4wd gearbox seperately. As you'll need the full harness etc to run it. You could possibly get away with making the odometer fit the courier dash, I only fitted the dash aswell for the 'factory look'

Cheers

Matt_Raider50
Here and there

Unread post by Matt_Raider50 » April 13th, 2014, 1:43 pm

C_Ray just keep in mind that if you dont use the diffs you will have to get the drive shafts modified as the BT50 ones both bolt to the transfer case where as the courier an bravo's the front drive shaft slots onto a spline and the rear bolts on using a smaller diameter hub than the bt50. The diffs on the bravo and courier also use smaller hubs so you cant just use the BT's drive shafts without modifying.

So easiest option and probably still the cheapest might still be to get a wrecked 4WD especially when you look around for a gearbox an t-case and most people are asking around $1000- $1500 dollars.

BTavo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by BTavo » April 14th, 2014, 7:48 am

You could swap the flanges from the bt50 driveshaft onto the front of the bravo rear tailshaft and then source a transfer case shaft. But yes, would be easier to use the full running gear out of a 4WD. Atleast it all bolts up and the Speedo will be correct. Aslong as you don't have bigger tyres of course

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”