Psyolents RN105 V8 Conversion

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
psyolent
Been here a while

Re: Psyolents RN105 V8 Conversion

Unread post by psyolent » August 17th, 2014, 8:29 pm

good news too with winchy. re-wound it (it was stuck, is cable, not dyneema rope) so unstuck it and re-wound it and all is well. almost completely flattened my battery in the battery box which is now on charge, but, extremely happy its in order, so i can mount that back in the bar. yippeee.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » August 18th, 2014, 10:11 am

:thumb:
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » March 8th, 2015, 7:01 pm

actually did some work on this.
due to cooking the engine a while back ; the oil has not been right since then. even after a change it was not right.
my oil consumption was also 1L per 100KM.
so when i dropped the oil yesterday, i put 1L of diesel in the engine, and, ran it for 30 mins.
dropped the oil and changed that and filter. my ticking lifter has now gone away. i have more power. and i've done 50km and used no oil. see how we go.

in other news i changed the thermo fan arrangement. after i changed to the short nose water pump and pulley. also noticed the fans were coming on and off.....not due to a switch, but, due to shitty fuseholder, which had the fuse looser than a ***** in a bucket. so fixed that and both fans now operate well. also put an inline 1/8 NPT temp sender so I can run my aftermarket temp gauge and my in dash hilux gauge. although i have to seal it with teflon tape, as, the bloody thing is leaking. oh and supercheap had 20% off coolant today, which came in handy. so its nice and super green.

other than that not much else is new with the bus.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » March 9th, 2015, 2:32 pm

my quick mod (all day) to the fans and, the short nose pump. plus the 2nd temp sender

and again
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » March 9th, 2015, 3:51 pm

relocate the rad forward like i did then you have option of clutch fan or thermo's but with a shroud so air is pulled through the entire radiator cores rather then the circular sections the fans cover ATM.... the rest of your rad is lost cooling efficiency & should be shrouded, could be why she cooked on ya... It's a simple operation to do looky back through my build Greg & see it's not so hard & i'm about top do another on a LN106 with 1uz for a fella... i hate thermo's so he's getting a ls400 clutch fan setup with cruiser radiator... no A/C tho lol!
Good to see your still got the beast mate :thumb:
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » March 9th, 2015, 4:48 pm

x2 as above...100% agree those thermos are doing sweet FA without a shroud

Old V8 kingswoods used to cook without a fan shroud too

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » September 17th, 2015, 8:46 pm

....yes. to shrouds. so i've been on holiday and aside from getting some correct offset 15" rims and 32" maxxis mt764's, oh and a pair of led bars for the front, and leafs for up front as my front springs are (now) inverted.

i also got a piece of metal, and, waiting on a steel fan (should be in tomorrow) so thermo fans are getting the arse, steel fan is going in and i am making my own shroud to suit. its a 17" steel blade fan but only 30mm deep.

in all the reading i've been doing it seems the biggest achillies heel with cooling v8s in hiluxes is not being able to move the air out of the engine bay, which can be facilitated by reverse coul (cowl?) scoops, lifting the back of the bonnet 10mm or so (fully hectic dorifto style) or bonnet vents. with the shroud dragging air thru the radiator and pushing it over the engine it needs to exhaust somewhere also.....there is also the plastic covers between the chassis and the body which need to get the flick to also help relieve some of that air (duck i think you have a lifted body so you probably already have this sorted).

i've another week of holidays and we have some warmish weather coming so will be doing some testing.

i'm also looking to putting the delco EFI back (minus the injectors) and keeping the impco 425 and writing my own memcal for it (have programmer etc).
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » September 18th, 2015, 9:07 pm

so heres my fitted lights.....

and my new fanny. i need a 1.5" spacer so it turns out though to clear the PS belt and PCV hose to throttle body

and my nicely painted trailer wheels. fixed and painted yay.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » September 19th, 2015, 9:10 am

so the spacer is ordered should be here next week. time to remove those thermo fans and make a steel shroud up :)
the back of the derale box is extremely helpful, it tells you the distance u need from stuff including the fact you need 3/4" from the tip of the fan blades to the shroud. interesting.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » September 19th, 2015, 1:18 pm

well didn't things get carried away today. pics to come :|
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » September 19th, 2015, 5:28 pm

so, note the slightly bigger hole. 2 reasons for this
1. get air over the last 1" of the radiator which was covered
2. move the radiator an extra 10mm forward

so you get this result

so theres just on an inch between the back of the fan and the belt, and, 1" to the radiator now.

the fan is 28.5mm wide FYI.
I originally had 65mm between the pulley and the radiator, ended up with 75mm
the bolts for the holden 308 waterpump are 5/16" UNF. these are hard /interesting to get. interestingly steering wheel pullers come with them and 5/16" UNC. the spacer came with 5/16" UNC. so i can at least mock it up for the shroud. the HT bolts will be here later next week (fleabay, 8 bucks)
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » September 20th, 2015, 3:18 pm

so shroud was going well until i sliced my finger open. didn't even realised i had done it until this massive red spot of blood poured onto the steel. no harm done. then went to the pool and on the water slide smashed my head on the ground when the thing finished as i got dunked lol. so will get to shroud when the panadol and neurofen kick in. awesome sunday :|
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » September 21st, 2015, 10:02 am

you get the idea

few finishing touches to be added and we are done.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » September 21st, 2015, 6:31 pm

just waiting on a shorter spacer (i am anal like that)
but here is the shroud done, sikaflaxed, and, 2" steel at the top and 1" down the bottom
doesn't look a fancy as some shrouds but i reckon it will do the job nicely.
also my new springs rolled up today so i can install them
plus put my trans and engine together for the VN in other projects
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » September 22nd, 2015, 7:46 pm

so got my replacement LED bar and, got the old one given to me with the faulty 3 LEDs and they gave me a free switch for my trouble. very helpful dudes. also the smaller fan spacer came in the mail and will be perfect and line everything up where its supposed to be. my heavy ass springs came too for the front. they are heavy as.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”