Psyolents RN105 V8 Conversion

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
psyolent
Been here a while

Re: Psyolents RN105 V8 Conversion

Unread post by psyolent » July 10th, 2014, 7:49 pm

ah, k dude. dude isnt the inlet manifold is different for the vn v8 vs the early 308s .... or so i understand .... they sell these as different manifolds? please tell me i am wrong so i can go and buy a 308 inlet manifold and piss off the bunch of bandanas?
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » July 11th, 2014, 2:48 pm

OK here's a carburetted manifold for EFI heads but to run infectors you will have to get the holes drilled for them..
This is really cheap actually, I will get this manifold when the time comes. I'm thinking it cant be too dear to get the holes drilled for injectors at machine shop

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-304-Q ... 486928180e
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 11th, 2014, 4:11 pm

yeah, thats not too bad.....remember you also need mounts for your fuel rails - i don't see anything on there for those.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Squiggs351
Here and there

Unread post by Squiggs351 » July 18th, 2014, 10:11 pm

Hows things fellas?

How are your luxxy's going for cooling temps.. Im still having a few issues with mine. Will idle all day long and not get hot and its fine just putting around at 50-60 kmh. on the highway though at 100-110 it goes great for about 10 km then gets hot.. its got a 3 core 75mm thick ali radiator in it and a 3500 cfm thermo fan..

could it be an airflow issue from spotlights on the front bar? or timing? its running around 10-12 degrees adv. at idle..

the waterpump was replaced not long before I took the motor out of the stato..
LN106 Hilux D/C,EFI 5Litre and 4L60E, 2" spring lift, 2" body lift, 33x12.5 muddies, custom snorkel, custom tube winch bar.

BUILT... NOT BOUGHT...

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 19th, 2014, 6:05 am

hey bud. duck doesn't seem to have any issues with his. i'll let him talk to that though. he has a 75 series cruiser radiator in his with 4 cores and the stock GM engine fan. dunno about thermos though. duck?

mine, is petunia. i cooked it - i have two thermos in push pull ie: front back. had it idling in the driveway for a while, and, it cooked the thermo fan fuses, they stopped, it sat there and overheated. once it cooled down i put water back in it, it fired up straight away, problem is now i use 1 litre of oil for every 100km.

cooling wise, now its winter, mine is fine. i had it on the freeway up to daylesford last weekend, and, at 110KMH all the way there, it sat on 80 degrees. no issues. both fans going etc. needless to say it was about 10 degrees outside, and got colder as we got closer to daylesford.

i have a 72 degree thermostat in mine now, i put it in, when it was summer, but, still saw temps climbing up quite a bit. i don't think that has helped a great deal, will have to wait for summer.

i have a couple of theories.

1. i do not know if i have a virgin bore OR if my thing is 20, 30, 40, 60 thou over. if its 60 thou over i am petunia i will never fix this problem until the engine is replaced, ie: bores are too thin.
2. RPM. notice that all the holden burnout cars have problems with overheating, unless they pile ONE MILLION DOLLARS into their cooling system - they see high RPM. with 31's and 110KMH my thing is sitting on 3000rpm. holden v8 redline is ~5500rpm. you're staying in prolonged high RPM for a long period of time. this is putting extra strain on the cooling system which is effectively 'stock'. 33's will bring the RPM down and help then also will taller? gearing. if i can get my 4.88s down to 3.7 with the 31's i reckon i will be better off. part of this problem seems to be the higher RPM....ie; you can idle all day long with no problem right. see the logic?
3. airflow. i don't have lights on mine at the moment. i tried removing them. didn't do floral. the area for air to get across your radiator is fuschia all, however, not convinced this is the issue. i think the issue is the air once pushed into the engine bay, can't escape, and is heating up. couple of ideas.....seen the boy racers with their ae86s and s13s jacking up the back of the bonnet for that fulleee hektik look, reckon if the air could escape possibly thru a 1" space at the back of the bonnet (yes near the screen) this might help? further, there was a dude on here who had a reverse bonnet scoop on his which looked bloody awesome this might also be a good idea.

other things i want to do
- like duck go back to the GM engine fan
- AND THE SHROUD
- move the radiator forward
- replace the water pump with the cast iron type small nose one (not the VN one, with the long nose)
see how that goes
if the same result
- replace with a 4 core 75 series radiator like duck
see how that goes
-remove engine (its petunia anyway so this is on the cards) and ensure it is tops only 20 over.
see how that goes
- try driving around without the bonnet on
see how that goes. hopefully i don't get picked up by the cash collectors
- put 33's and remove the diff and put a salisbury LSD in it with 2.7s
RPM should be about 500rpm on the freeway at 300kmh, will never ever overheat, might take me 5 hours to get there. :D
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 19th, 2014, 6:39 am

found it. took a while

its from a thread over on aussie v8
http://www.aussiev8.com.au/conversions- ... 4wd-5.html
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 19th, 2014, 9:12 am

My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Squiggs351
Here and there

Unread post by Squiggs351 » July 20th, 2014, 12:10 am

ah yep, yeah I'm running 33's and 4.33 gears so its only doing around 2000-2200 at 110. I have a 2" bodylift whether that would help air flow or not I don't know. my engine only had 290k on it but it was an ex government charter vehicle. I might try the gap under the bonnet trick and a different thermostat too.
LN106 Hilux D/C,EFI 5Litre and 4L60E, 2" spring lift, 2" body lift, 33x12.5 muddies, custom snorkel, custom tube winch bar.

BUILT... NOT BOUGHT...

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 20th, 2014, 8:33 am

ah ok. and you are still getting hot on lower RPM. wow.
get a hotter thermostat ie: keep the water IN the radiator longer to let it cool more before the thermostat opens up.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » July 20th, 2014, 1:16 pm

yep!
I run 82deg thermostat & VK V8 clutch fan... I was getting heating issues till I fit a new viscous clutch centre & never had heating issues since... I also used the original Surf fan shroud that nicely fit both the fan size & radiator with a little bit of trimming here & there... on really hot days it will get up to 90degs then drops back to 80degs & keeps fluctuating like that but average being about 85degs Celsius

The old Holden V8's ran the short neck water pump but in saying that they also use a long spacer between the pulley face & fan so the fan doesn't obstruct on engine belts etc.
So using a short neck WP wont give you much more room & pump less water!

when towing I have no heating issues only the transmission starts getting a little hot like 110*c was highest when I was towing car/trailer in 45degs but if i'm not towing it sit's between 60*c to 70*c & if racing it 80*c max
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 20th, 2014, 9:27 pm

thanks duck. yep going to go back to that thermostat.
also picked up a 38mm in line hose sender adaptor to put in the bottom radiator hose.
fitted the new handbrake cable since i tore mine off a while back, that was not too hard to do although the two bolts in the firewall behind the motor are a bastard to get to. good to have a handbrake of sorts back again :)
also fitted the o2 sensor, i have had it for years and years with a haltech o2 meter, its a HEGO so has voltage to it which the haltech watches and tells you a reading.
had a crazy thought of putting the fuel injection back but, leaving the injectors out and still using the LPG instead of injected fuel.......means removing the dizzy which will be a saga and setting that up right also.

in all the overheating issues, alot point to timing. noticed?

oh and i might not be burning that much oil, it seems i have an oil leak, mustnt have tightened the filter enough when i changed it, leaking from there.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » August 9th, 2014, 8:35 pm

installed this today. have to get an isolator to isolate the battery, at the moment they are both wired up together (so 12v, not 24v)

not sure whether this picture will work, hope so :)

My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » August 9th, 2014, 8:39 pm

heres the other side.

heres the supercheap bracket, for 17 bucks u really can't go wrong. note there are two bits of SHS welded to underneathe

here tis in place
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » August 16th, 2014, 5:25 pm

well the 100A alternator went in today, no real fuss, enlarged the hole on the alternator bracket for m10 bolt got rid of the external regulator, happy days. gotta say with the twin batteries and the snorkel now pointed round the right way this thing is powering along.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » August 17th, 2014, 3:41 pm

ok so wiring NQR.
the bosch alternator has one connection for battery to alternator.
the a two pin plug with S and L. L is for light and a light brown wire if you use a VN V6 loom plug. the other is S which is black and goes to constant +12v (bridge to the battery wire)

back of the hilux rn105 standard alternator, 3 pin plug plus 1 terminal type goes to battery
N - Blue/Red - Charge light. Or L on the Bosch alt
F - Green - from external reg
E - Black - Not used - is an Earth
B - White - Battery - bridged to S on the Bosch alt

Hope this helps someone on their cause for proper alternator wiring :)
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”