Psyolents RN105 V8 Conversion

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
psyolent
Been here a while

Re: Psyolents RN105 V8 Conversion

Unread post by psyolent » April 16th, 2014, 7:16 am

it was sitting there idling/running. nothing else.
so yeah, its OK. will get to know this weekend thats for sure.

keep that shoulder moving mate. and keep excising it.

and yes, clutch fan it will be. thats a given now. going to move my commodore v8 radiator forward, and, put that in place. i need the short nose water pump - with the cast impellor not the shitty metal one. i have the old school pulley for the water pump to suit so just need to find the time :)

re: the thermo fans, the small 30A blade fuses don't cut it. grab the fan fusible link from an old VN and use that instead. no fucking around with that mate. built for the job, just need to make sure you use the correct gauge wire.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » April 18th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Yeh I was thinking of that but did it differently with bigger gauge wire & a circuit breaker relay using the large blade fuse... I couldn't find a blade fuse holder that suits it so just plugged it direct to wires with large blade crimp terminals Worx great now... But that's all gonna change soon... I'm gonna rewire the whole wiring loom, fuses & relays in the glove box, battery relocated in the boot & all MSD IGN will be in cab & I'm hiding all the engine bay wiring & deleting the fuse box obviously... lots of work but I like doing it... Painless wiring kit I found will be perfect! & less then $300 & has all I need...
Happy easter champ & have fun :thumb:
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » April 18th, 2014, 5:18 pm

hmmmmm.

well brought the thing up to the country today. its 12 degrees up here, interestingly the hilux sat on 80c most of the way here. even up and down hills, no issues with overheating but its cold cold cold here. plug towing a trailer with bikes and a bloody queen size bed on it.

gotta check the oil coz the missus said it STUNK sitting behind me......oh well, recirc for the win ;)
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » April 21st, 2014, 2:00 pm

home and all went well, well except for the handbrake cable, tore that clean off. oh well, best i see mick and get another one. i have a new appreciation for the handbrake especially now i don't have one, even though it is remarkbably useless, when its on it actually does do something.

temp wise didn't really get to see because the temp gauge was playing up. go figure. somewhere between 40 and 80 it reckons. LOL. think i have a bad ground somewhere.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 6th, 2014, 4:59 pm

so re-did the air filter again....can mash the pedal to the floor again, but, as rev's pick up, it dies in the arse. need a mixture meter to see whats going on with the old impco
as you can see much more direct path to the bodgy arse snorkel.

also gave the girl an oil change, run some of the usual engine flush and, then put 5 litres of oil back in there....nice and clean again which is good. good to see the oil come out nice and black, but, clean.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » July 6th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Mine starts to die out top end too... been told it's cause I need to get the dissy regraphed for LPG

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 6th, 2014, 7:52 pm

nah, ducky baby this is feeling more like air/fuel mix wrong bud.
will get a fuel/air meter on it and have a look. i remember my mate saying it was a bit rich 'up top'

will be interesting to see after the oil change (post overheating incident) whether it still goes thru oil. the old oil in it looked *****, but was clean. now its nice and golden the way it should be
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » July 6th, 2014, 11:19 pm

I love the way oil stays golden clean on LPG... I'm running Penrite 20w-60 mineral oil as it has more zinc for better protection... My mate builds race motors & recommended this oil for the 5.0L...

Yeh as for mixtures mine runs a bit too rich top end too even tweaked the mixtures down a bit but didn't help much... reason for this is the timing curve is completely wrong without regraphing the dissy, when the dissy is graphed correctly for LPG the timing curve changes upon acceleration in time with LPG flow & combusts the gas much better which leans out the mixtures top end.

The vac advance needs to be set to suit LPG in order for proper detonation to occur in the advanced timing curve...
My mate runs his own LPG workshop & he explained it a lot better then I can... basically we are losing timing top end so they run rich ... I killed my oxygen sensor with water before I fit the snorkel, oxy sensors don't take too kindly to water :lol:

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 7th, 2014, 7:01 am

yeah, on other cars i've had on elpy G, its always been golden clean. on this, its black and filthy in color, but, when you wipe it on paper towel, its clean? i figured my motor is a bit carboned up/so, in time it will clean up. the good cooking it had to 120c wouldn't have helped that old oil either.

yeah i know the bit on the advance. i had a 202 years ago with gas research setup on it ; it had a kitted traumatic behind it dude, after the dizzy recurve (my mate races HQs) this thing bloody flew. it got at best 250km for a tank of LPG but as it was cheap back then i didn't care, i used to drag race my missus in her VN calais and it would keep up with that no problems at all, i'd get her easy if i was good on the launch without wheelspin :)

anyway that was all in (30 degrees by 3000rpm). after the recurve that thing woke RIGHT up. problem is now can't get that floral dizzy out - will foul on the firewall.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » July 7th, 2014, 2:06 pm

haha yep same... I think if I remove engine mounts & drop engine down as far as tie rod allows I may just be able to pull it out but not long till I am pulling engine out anyway... for a worked VN donk on PULP....
Will have a 6.5L turboed diesel chev in it by next xmas US crate job :thumb:

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 8th, 2014, 5:40 am

what, its coming out for a VN 5L? just be mindful of where you sit your 425....or you going back to the original go-juice?
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » July 9th, 2014, 11:46 am

hahaha yeah, I want it running Dual fuel but mainly on Fuel, LPG for back up on long trips.
I will replace the banana intake for a carburetted intake & run the 425 straight on top as it is now, only difference will be injectors & computer controlled LPG setup... My mate says I will get so much better economy & extra power running it all through an ECU & I also gain the extra flow through VN heads. If I am happy with how it performs I might skip the Diesel Chev... My Bro will be importing Chevs next year so I have choices to make lol!

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 9th, 2014, 11:57 am

the inlet manifolds with carb are BLOODY expensive. you'll need a throttle body OR carb to sit on the new inlet manifold then put the 425 on top. consider keeping the bananas, losing they 425 and going gas research dude. you can keep your injectors and factory ECU that way too.....if you go the carb and ECU route it will have to be aftermarket etc. more cost. lots of options though there thats for sure. i wouldn't mind losing the bananas so i can see the dizzy etc and it gives you options there, whereas at the moment, i have none. its very close with no body lift....
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » July 10th, 2014, 1:59 pm

so my replacement handbrake cable came yesterday, will be fitting that up this weekend. will be glad to have a working (LOL) handbrake in place again, as it was kinda useful from time to time.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » July 10th, 2014, 7:24 pm

My impco already sits on a holley butterfly straight into a edelbrock manifold so it would be exact same setup just on an injected motor using factory ECU & my mate just fits the gas computer inline to cut off EFI & read off a sensor on the throttle... he said he did it in his VP & it goes better on LPG then petrol & had good LPG economy from computer!

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”