Psyolents RN105 V8 Conversion

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
psyolent
Been here a while

Psyolents RN105 V8 Conversion

Unread post by psyolent » January 8th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Howdy, new here - name is Greg.
Bit of inspiration from a few folks including 'duck' (ToyHolden) and my best man, and, my V8 conversion is underway.

My 22R while, reasonably OK, a bit smoky due to valve stem seals on Piston 1 being a bit average - killed the clutch. Actually the pivot bolt sheared the head off and, bye bye slave cylinder and no more clutch action - at all. Removed the G52, only to end up staring at the asthmatic 22R thinking, am going to replace the clutch then will have to do the head at some stage blah blah you get the idea, plus, the idea of driving the uninspiring 22R didn't thrill me

So this occurred

And this got cleaned up

And this just rolled up before

Am waiting on my 5 litre - will be interesting, and, Marks4WD are not open yet....
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Re: Psyolents RN105 V8 Conversion

Unread post by Toyholden » January 8th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Hey thanks for the mention Greg :)
Im glad i'v inspired you to do a 5.0L conversion & good onya you wont regret doing it either, im so glad i did :D
Haha now your commited, motors out. Waiting on the motor & Marks must be frustrating when you just wanta get into it.
If you have any questions just PM me i'l be glad to help if i can :thumb:
The eng bay came up shiny, dont forget to order a handbrake relocation kit with the other bits you get off Marks :thumb:
I'l be watching this thread thats for sure ;)

Duck
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » January 9th, 2013, 6:11 am

yep, my list will include the relocation kit - thats for sure...will be interesting to see what occurs with the gearbox crossmember, as, it appears the R151F is a bit different to the G52, as well as the shift levers being a little further back also
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » January 9th, 2013, 7:03 pm

G'day Greg
Looks like your engine mount perches on the chassis are further forward to mine, but not too sure.
(measure from the front of the chassis rail, hook your tape to it & measure to the centre of the ENG perch) im curious!!
I used the original Surf auto crossmember & bolted the TH350 trans assembly staight on & used the same front/back driveshafts (stock Surf shafts) my back shaft is a one-piece :thumb:

Commodore xtractors/headers should just fit too cause yours is leaf sprung :D
You will need a HQ-WB sump also, i think a you can fit a High Energy baffled racing sump HQ-WB /LC-UC in yours too :waycool:

How long is the gearbox from belhousing mating face to the centre of the trans mount (middle/between the two bolt holes that the trans mount is fixed onto, with these measurments i can try work out the best fitment for you if you want ;)
Oh yeh you also might need a steering damper relocation bracket but i cant remember if its only the IFS that needs it
ask Marks about it :)

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » January 9th, 2013, 7:18 pm

evening duck
first up, from front of rail to center of mount - 495mm

tell me, is the surf x member for the box, straight, or, does it have an offset in it (back 30mm or so)?
my manual box is 555mm from the bellhousing mating face (or the front of the box where the bellhousing bolts to) to the centre of where the mount for the box will sit. note - i don't have my gear from marks yet..

extractors not really fussed on - no probs in making my own nothing i've not done before :)

sump, told i can get away with the commodore one BUT i hear you in that the 22R power(less)house had a rear sump which i kinda get - it put the bowl/etc all down the back and out of the way of the front diff and the steering link/thing (its proper name escapes me)

my NOS holden v8 flywheel arrived today - bargain at 125 bucks delivered. need the locating dowels and bolts from GM only for it :)

also just waiting for the v8 to be delivered i spied it on the back of the ute today :)

ps: how is the mrs VK coming along?
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » January 9th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Hehe so motor tomorrow?
My crossmember is strait but it locates the trans mount on a backwards offset plate about 45mm (as it was in Surf) i can throw up a pic tomorrow if you want :thumb:

Thats why you use the HQ-WB sump so it clears the diff a steering drag link, Steering damper & tie rod assemblies especialy if you plan to go high steer setup, saves trying to mod the Commodode sump ;)
Do you need a belhousing addaptor?

Good price for the NOS flywheel "sweet"
& i'l measure those spec's you gave me to see what works the best for you application in the morning :thumb:

Do you plan to run a clutch fan, VK fixed fan or thermo's? you run the older/shorter water-pump with a VK fixed 6cyl fan for 20mm to 30mm more radiator clearance but with a chance of stalling in water crossings or even worse the blades go through the radiator :rolleyes:

Getting the VK rego'd tomorrow "woohoo yay" I blinged up the engine bay, i'l chuck a pic up on my build thread for ya tomorrow, maybe tonight :cool:

Just watching Grim ATM :twisted:

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » January 9th, 2013, 8:30 pm

GRIMM is ace. new season soon too :):):)

yeah hope so (tomorrow)
my RN105 is also straight - yes a pic would be good - surf is a bit of a different animal though to the luxy
i have the same gearbox as surf just, is the non vaccuum required stuff on it

yeah i've seen the HQ-WB sump. will need to measure and see what the go is when the whole shebang is sitting in there as to what i do with sump :)

yep - have to get the bellhousing for the r151 box from marks...

theres a couple more on fleabay if you want one of those flywheels. bloody cheap if you ask me. its still in the original GM packagaing as well!!!!! weighs a bloody tonne mind you

thankyou for measuring - very much appreciated.

i plan on running thermos - not a fan of big clutch fans.
the delco ECU has a temp sensor and fan control in it - will use that with a relay - if not - an NC or NO switch is not hard at all to rig up :)

thanks duck :)
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » January 10th, 2013, 6:10 pm

yay.
its here
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » January 10th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Awesome Greg :D
Did you also get the VN/VP ECU with it cause they only run the motor & not the trans like the later models.

I re-read your gearbox measurment & i thought thats shorter than it looks but then realised that you measured the box only without the bellhousing, how long is it with the bellhousing added (entire length to centre of mount) do you know if Mark's bellhousing is the same length or different?

My trans entire length to centre of mount is 765mm
bach of Eng block to centre of Eng mount perch is 320mm
So from centre of trans mount to centre of Eng mount perch on the chassis i have 1085mm
Also my front chassis rail to centre of eng mount perch is 545mm

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » January 11th, 2013, 6:26 am

no ecu...its a standard 1227808 ECU - the only difference between the manual and auto is the memcal...actually, the 808 runs the TCC lockup (based on speed signal) and trans temps :) it doesn't do near as much as what the later VR onwards do with the 4L60E.

i don't have the bellhousing yet dude :)
yes so thats why it seemed a bit short :):):):)
thats a very good question - if i was to hazard at a guess i'd say it wouldnt (shouldnt) be too different but that will depend on the spigot bush that goes into the back of the crank and the placement of the input shaft inside that - will know more there next week :)

i need to do some measurements this weekend - all fascinating stuff. i think from your post your engine mounts are offset - i measured 395mm on the 5 litre from the back face (where the bellhousing fits) to the centre boss on the block where the engine mount goes...i then took that and applied it to the RN105 and from the centre of the mount on the chassis to the back of the firewall (recessed part) is 395mm :| the part above where i believe the AC box is (inside) comes out an 25mm (an inch) forward....

nothing that couldn't bit fixed with slightly offset engine mounts though (a bit forward) - am not about to cut them off the chassis and re-weld them on, even looking at the 'bird *****' weld done by toyota mr engineer no like that proposition.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » January 11th, 2013, 10:58 am

G'day Greg :)
The reason i asked for total trans measurment was to work out if you can mount it to the OEM crossmember possi to save you from modifying you drive shafts & hopefully still have enough room to fit radiator & fan. I pushed the air con square shaped bulge inwards & the aircon box inside is still in working order.
Yep my engine mount chassis perches are set back 50mm more that your's going off your measurments & yes i offset backwards my Engine mounts on the engine plates to seat it on the perches but you could probably use HQ-WB type engine plates which are set further forward on the block & make them fit with a bit of modding :thumb:

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » January 12th, 2013, 3:46 pm

i hear you duck.
need the marks4wd stuff all being well this week to make those vital measurements :)
i removed one of the mounts from the V8 and noticed that it also is offset somewhat even as per the commodore mount (from factory) which i find interesting, the factory mount has almost a piece of RHS (lol) which the rubber then bolts to.
yep that AC box bulge will need to come back only just above where the top of the rocker cover is just ever so slightly...
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » January 14th, 2013, 12:49 pm

tip for new players.

- the speed sensor on the box from the R151F is massive and, the cable from my existing cable drive will not suit

- while my R151F box from a 3.4 hilux is nice and strong and weighs a tonne, its not suitable as part of this conversion when using the marks4wd stuff....you need a box with the 160mm (long) input shaft as opposed to the one i have which is 190mm.

typically the ones in the 3 litre V6s and the 2.4TD models suit this requirement.

hope this helps someone for future, off to hilux wreckers with tape measure this arvo :)
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » January 14th, 2013, 6:40 pm

ah goody......R150 gearbox from 3 litre surf being delivered tomorrow. mick from justhilux is the best! input shaft is 160mm long which, ironically is the same width as the bellhousing...
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » January 14th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Thank our lucky stars that theres still good folk around in this era we live in, good to hear that Mick sorted it for ya. I'm pretty shore theres an addaptor you can get, or made up to run your mechanical speedo cable, if not you can install a Hilux electric speedo, it shouldn't be hard to fit in to your dash :thumb:

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”