TOYHOLDEN's Custom Hilux Surf V8 on 80-series diffs

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: TOYHOLDEN's V8 SURF BUILD -> ''SAS in progress''

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 14th, 2015, 4:28 pm

I know the feeling....

It's taken a few decades of 'intensive therapy' to wean me off the smell of fresh welded metal & newly rebuilt Hi-Po engines running for the first time... :o

And I still suffer from frequent relapses - they really take a toll on my decrepit body!! But they say they never actually 'cure' the addiction, they just reduce the craving to manageable levels :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 14th, 2015, 6:19 pm

your a funny man :lol:
Yep i try slow down but theres no way not till more of my body collapses & im forced to slow up hahaha

Anyway i had a bit of a *** around with the panhard cross brace & holster bracket, after reworking the bracket it sits on the rail the way i wanted, i'v just mocked it up for the pics as i run out of decent weather & light to go ahead & weld it off & i still need to cut some divider gussets to secure the panhard cross brace to the custom panhard bracket. hate drilling holes in plate :urgh:

well heres a few pics to finish the update & bring the build up to date on here with all projects.. Have 97LN106 to finish 1UZ install conversion & the Surf 80diffs SAS & Rear diff graft to finish <almost there :crazy: Then have Fiftilux to build & between that will have the LS1 conversion to do on the Surf so Fiftilux has a V8 motor/box to receive from Surfette :D
But not till after i have some fun in Surfette after the SAS & RDG-(rear diff graft) is complete then after Feb next year will LS1 it :twisted:

Anyhow some pics of todays much about

you can see how thick the wall thickness of the GQ panhard bar is that i'm using as the cross brace, yes it's thicker & stronger then the factory 80series one so i decided it was way too much effort to cut out out the 80series one with the plasma & chose the GQ item instead lol!

So that's where i'm at.. Not a great deal more to go to have her driving, if all goes well should be driving it by next weekend i hope
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » November 15th, 2015, 2:31 pm

* * * * * * * hell i have to go get a towel and a room. i am more than moist.
any chance you took images of those fishplates?

also - is your sump right on the 308 (front) now you have a diff in the way?
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 15th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Hahahaha it's in ya face hey lol!
Yeah i made proper 2mm sheet templates of everything, fishplates including the steering box relocation one, caster plates, radius arm chassis links plates, the diff bracing/gussets/armor plates so yeah i have templates for the lot including the new panhard link mount. i could basically make a full kit less the tower buckets till i design some :lol:

Nah same sump as always being a WB kingswood 308 rear sump :thumb:

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » November 15th, 2015, 8:33 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhh. i reckon you would be on a winner there.

also wouldn't mind knowing how you get your stack of dimes so neat.
i've always been a cursive e type but they look fantastic, and, well depending on the level of penetration you're getting will be strong as too.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 16th, 2015, 8:42 am

OCD :lol:
i like the look of stacked dimes & used the technique on my sliders bullbar & did a few runs doing straight beads & i just didn't like the look up against the dimes so cut the beads out & continued with the dimes.. key is high amps & controlling the pool keep laying them down fast so material stays hot like still glowing thast way you get awesome penetration cause it's melting in but you gotta be quick & have a good feel for it so you dont blow through hahaha

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » November 17th, 2015, 6:59 am

well, keep it up buddy looks awesome man.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 17th, 2015, 9:16 am

Thanks Greg :thumb:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 17th, 2015, 9:47 am

You don't have some spare time on your hands do you Toy?! I've got a few things on my vehicle that need sorting which might benefit a LOT from 'just a little' of that sort of OCD?! (& maybe the same sort of attention to detail with the colour scheme too! ;) )
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 17th, 2015, 9:58 am

Panhard is finished thank Christ for that, what a headache welding with everything in place all covered to protect from spatter.. Glad that parts over & well thats the SAS pretty much finished just need to modify steering shaft firewall gromit hole to allow shaft to come down an inch at the end uni that joins the steering box ... then it will have steering too :lol:

Just rear diff to go & she's done ready for test drive

About to go out & cut off the surf lower trailing arm links off the chassis & move them forward

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 17th, 2015, 10:00 am

Peter Aawen wrote:You don't have some spare time on your hands do you Toy?! I've got a few things on my vehicle that need sorting which might benefit a LOT from 'just a little' of that sort of OCD?! (& maybe the same sort of attention to detail with the colour scheme too! ;) )
I'd love to Peter :)
If only you were just a tad closer Canberra :lol:

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 17th, 2015, 6:56 pm

So the rear begins

80 series diff using 80series arms coils etc, i will need to modify the coil hats on the diff (move them forward) to match the Surf coil towers them i just might flip the shock mounts to opposite sides to the rear of diff like the surf ones or perhaps i might just cut the Surf coil hats & shock mounts off & weld them on the 80 diff, for now i think i will just use the Surf lower trailing arms for the uppers as they are nice & thick & longer then the 80 uppers just need to push in 80series bushes to the Surf arms as the holes are 18mm on the 80 bushes compared to i think 16mm on the surf ones... Anyway!

Carefully cut the welds off factory location using a 100mm grinder, what a pain in the rear :lol:

Link bracket came of fair easy with a little help from the cold chizel

roughly re-positioned after a quick clean up & a little modification

My calculations were pretty dam close :lol:

Looking good me thinks.. I actually raised it a further 15mm then originally planned cause arm angle seems pretty good as is, the front radius arm bracket link centre of bolts sit about 35mm higher so i may just fudge these up another 15-20mm will see later

[IMG]http:
//i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u376/Toyholden/PB171838_zpslqm0dxjd.jpg[/IMG]

so next side will be done tomorrow & i'l square it all up & tack them in place then start on the upper cross-member link brace. Then once the brace is tacked in i can cycle the diff make sure i'v got the diff in correct location before weld off.. nothing worse then setting the links in the wrong spot & have my tires scrub out on front or rear of wheel arch.. so want to ensure the tyres end up centred to the arch on full compression & make sure the diff pinion cycles at a good angle throughout the entire articulating range

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » November 17th, 2015, 7:16 pm

now my OCD is kicking in. whats the gauge of that steel those brackets are made of? looks real thin......reckon you could re-make them out of 6mm plate for extra strength? or 'triangulate' running a bit of 6mm down that front section. just thinking where the stresses would be most prevalant to strengthen it up before you weld it in place....
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 17th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Yeah Greg i considered making my own from 6mm that way i could push the front bough forward if you know what i mean... also might jack the bolt centres up another 20mm still unsure but they are the original brackets that copped a flogging & held up fine so my thoughts are jst to use them & my engineer also mentioned to use as many factory brackets as i can as they are a standard issue that cant be rejected...

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » November 18th, 2015, 5:41 am

'use as many factory brackets as i can as they are a standard issue that cant be rejected...'

i hear you loud and clear buddy
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”