TOYHOLDEN's Custom Hilux Surf V8 on 80-series diffs

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: TOYHOLDEN's V8 SURF BUILD -> ''bar work in progress''

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 8th, 2015, 8:53 pm

SO?! Who cares how many so's you said, it still looks bloody good!! :thumb:

Great work, looking forward to the next installment! :drool:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » April 12th, 2015, 9:07 pm

SO.. You've killed it man! That's set back heaps more than my mates. He's got a factory radiator and the 12" thermo is off set to a corner just to fit. Top work, looks good.

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » April 13th, 2015, 10:09 am

Cheers fella's :thumb:
I'm waiting on the viscous clutch hub, reverse fan blades & hub pulley to arrive today so i can measure up & relocate the radiator forward. just gonna remove the bullbar & grill clip this morning & maybe get the electric axe out onto it to keep myself busy, also need to go into town & buy some flange plates for the exhaust header ends...
I will update soon :waycool:
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » April 14th, 2015, 1:21 am

cant sleep so here's a few other bit's i'v been doing

the ECU i need to flip brackets to fit it & try work out the wiring on the plug

so brackets & relay are flipped & ECU is secured behind glove box door, yet to clearance/trim the back of door

the 3 plugs on the left jack into the ECU but the 4 on the right are body plugs that i need to decipher

this one i can delete as it's cruise control & i wont be needing that

This plug i need to wire the fat black one in the middle to hilux starter solenoid relay & the black red stripe & black orange stripe need to be switched by IGN2 via relay & yet to work out what the others do & which to delete

I believe this plug on the right gets connected to the black wire in the middle on the plug on right, hope so :worry:

then there's these 2 plugs i know there's igniters & something else important just cant remember ATM what some of the wires on here do but have it written down just need to also work out what i need & what i can delete

Cant believe the size of the hole & gromit for this tiny wiper motor loom & it's the right size for the 1UZ loom gromit, perfect, just need to relocate the wiper motor loom to the side

So i relocated it, just need a piece of split conduit to cover the loom but it's out of the way of the 1UZ loom now :thumb:

So still cant connect loom till i lift out motor 1 last time to weld on the exhaust header flanges, maybe tomorrow will see how i go for time!
Last edited by Toyholden on April 14th, 2015, 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » April 14th, 2015, 1:45 am

So next i have to fit a LS400 idler bracket to replace the hyro fan idler & it arrived on friday so i fit the bugger

Here's the difference between the old hydro fan & the new LS400 clutch fan idler

Oh & what fun it was pulling half the bloody engine apart to swap them out :urgh:

& all back together again with new LS400 idler bracket fit in place ready for fan to be fit, should have arrived today but hopefully in the morning will be here

the hub face is sitting in a lot more then the other idler hub means more room for the clutch fan setup :thumb:

Yep lots more clearance now, almost in line with pulley faces now & with radiator forward relocation will be heaps of fan clearance

So that's another important bit done

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » April 14th, 2015, 2:10 am

Stuff it i'm on a roll now so may as well catch up with what i'v done :)

The Surf auto shifter i purchased had zero pivot sleeve bushes so for $4.95 i bought some new ones & with all the gear ready & shifter on work table (wifes dinner table :lol: ) I got stuck into it

To get to the pivot sleeve you need to remove the little crush sleeves & careful not to lose them, then once all the front ones are removed you carefully push the rubber gromit lips back through the holes, you can leave the back ones in

You can see the gaps at the ends where there should be bushes as seen in first pic on left but there completely worn, so undo the nut on end & slide out the bolt & slip the new bushes over the inner crush tube & slide into pivot tube then pop the other end in & bend the pivot bolt tabs a little to aid reassembly

Here's a close up of a bush in place

& shifter all back together ready for retrofit into LN106 hilux transmission tunnel

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » April 14th, 2015, 2:36 am

So i did that too

First i got some ally plate ready & a card template, i also have to swap out sticks as the bent stick is what i need but has no cradle

First measure & mark a keyhole for the shifter pivot to fit through

Sit shifter in keyhole then trace the base & screw fixing holes

Then have a measure of position of shifter base to tuinnel gearstick hole, to get that you must use the front console screw tabs to line console up with, with shifter roughly in place & move it back forth till the holes line up then carefully remove console cover & mark rear so not to lose position

The console screw locating tab

here's how to line it up

now carefully center the base roughly & mark the pivot base on hole outer edges & remove shifter trim tunnel hole & replace shifter again

sit shifter back in place & center then outline base & holes

all outlined

Now you can measure in the front round into the template by measuring off your tunnel outline, clever ay ;)

Now sit template over outline on tunnel & mark the keyhole & shifter holes that you worked out earlier & trim tunnel again

continued............

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » April 14th, 2015, 2:46 am

Tunnel trimmed again

Using the template i outlined it onto the ally plate & cut it out & sat in place to make sure it fits & bingo!

shifter now in place

so i fit the transfer case shifter to see if all fit's well nearly all fit's

Because of the 2inch body lift, the transfer case shifter is now too short & i need to modify it :urgh:
other then that all fit's sweet :thumb:

Next is radiator install, tomorrow i'l post the pic's as i'm buggered :zzz:

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » April 14th, 2015, 9:19 am

You've been a busy little beaver! Mate love your work. Always very thorough :thumb: still waiting to see that SAS looks like other projects are holding you up lol

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » April 14th, 2015, 12:20 pm

thanks Dan :thumb:
yeah i'm stuck ATM using the Surf as my daily & just waiting it out till wife makes up her mind what car she's buying so soon as she gets her new car then i have the SS to use as a daily & will do the SAS on the surf, in the meantime i need to start collecting the few little bits i'l need to drop in the LS1 in the Surf behind the TH350 & do some homework & get the wiring harness sorted out before i start, i'm making it a mission to get the SAS & RAS (rear axle swap) finished in under 2 weeks from time i take off all 4 wheels & cut out both diffs & i want the LS1 swap done in a weekend so i really need everything together & pre prepared before i undertake the missions :thumb:

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » April 15th, 2015, 9:58 am

Hey mate 2 weeks will be cutting it fine unless you've got a lot of spare time lol. Well I'm sure a man of your calibre can handle it easily! My ls1 still isn't going! But I'm quite simple when it comes to wiring. Anyway it's in the capable hands of my cousin now! Was thinking about getting a bender to make my own bar and roll cage setup, how does your one go?

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » April 16th, 2015, 12:28 am

:lol:
Well my wife is the income earner & i make a few bux on the side doing stuff like this 1uz conversion. So that makes me the housewife so between playing sady the cleaning lady, house chef & taxi man i do get a few hours spare here & there ;)
So as long as i have everything i need as im still chasing an 80series pitman arm also need to buy new discs & pads & 80ser handbrake cable assy & i'm pretty good to go but i also have some time now to save & buy them bit's before wife buys new car!

Anyway the clutch fan assy came today but was a busy day so onl;y got to quickly slip it on to see how good i am for clearance & looking good :thumb:

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » June 28th, 2015, 11:55 am

duck.....mate, hope you are well. i saw this and though holy sheet he is not replacing the 308 for a 1uz .... :|
but alas not to be.
would pay to replace the timing belt and idler while you're there mate. just while you're there. cheap insurance dude.
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » July 14th, 2015, 8:07 pm

Looking the goods duck! Super jealous of the stay at home dad deal:)
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 12th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Thanks gents
Been a while so an update is due!
...Also I did replace belt & idler was in good order so left it be also checked & all the pulleys nice & tight so she should be good to go...

I been busy as all *** so had little time to update, too many jobs coming through so i had to pull the pin for a bit to do some stuff on the Surf! ... You know the usual stuff a 4by nut does (SAS) cause his mentally deranged :lol:
& got a bit done on the ln106 too, & built, fixed, jacked, repaired a ***** load of cars in between... like i said i put a pause on got ***** done then back to business now back on pause while i try finishing up my Surf SAS ... YES i finally decided to do it :D
Waiting on photo ****** to load my pic downloads... grrr :irked:

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”