TOYHOLDEN's Custom Hilux Surf V8 on 80-series diffs

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Toyholden
Part of the furniture

TOYHOLDEN's Custom Hilux Surf V8 on 80-series diffs

Unread post by Toyholden » September 29th, 2012, 1:30 pm

G'day Wheeler's,
They call me "DUCK" I bought myself a Toyota Surf 94 30lt T/D Auto a little over 4yrs ago & i planned on doing a Holden V8 conversion to it before i even owned it :lol:

I have been browsing this forum for almost five years now, researching, asking the od ? & taking down notes in my SURF 308 V8 CONVERSION Exercise Book, it has parts n labour list with prices so i can tally up total cost as i go, specifications list, helpful websites, suppliers, contacts, plans n diagrams, including fuse layout n wiring layout diagrams.

I started a thread in the Model specific<Toyota<Surf section (308 with TH350 into Surf conversion) to get as much useful info in regards to how im to do this conversion myself to keep overall costs down & the shear satisfaction of successfuly completeing this kinda conversion myself :thumb:

So its time to share with you all my V8 Toy Surf Buildup with plenty of pic's if the photobucket gremlins allow GRRRRRR..... so be patient & il'e do my best to provide :)

Here's the only pic i can find of Surfette when i first brought her home to a SNAKEracing 4inch IFS lift kit with all the goodies you can throw at a SURF IFS in it. Yep my wife was happy not :mad:

This pic sums up the need for new wheels n tyres :(

More coming soon lunch is served
"DUCK"
Last edited by Toyholden on June 9th, 2016, 9:34 pm, edited 12 times in total.
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Re: TOYHOLDEN's V8 SURF BUILDUP

Unread post by Toyholden » September 29th, 2012, 3:40 pm

So i got the SURF home & i got straight into pulling it apart & pulling out old suspension bits n fitting in the new, it was fairly easy to follow instructions even though they where USA plans for a left hand drive, anyway took me 2 days to do but i also replaced the bushes in the front lower wishbones,front n back stabilizer bar & link bushes,rear panhard bushes with superpro polyurethane bushes, all done at a beer drinking pace.

I forgot to take pics of the job as i went as at the time it didnt seem that important, now that shes jacked up & looking silly with 31x10.5 r15's on it, its time for some new wheels n rubber.

After a bit of shoppin around i settled for Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's 33x12.5 r15 wrapped around these sweet lookin Mickey Thompson rims.....Here's some pic's of the suspension kit & new wheel n tyre pack.

Soon after the the fitment of the tires i replaced the Idler arm, upper ball joints, wheelbearings on all 4 corners, greasable tie rod ends & i fit a Tough Dog return to centre steering damper with a Marks conversions steering damper relocation bracket to bring the damper assembly down away from the planned V8 sump & smooth out the steering bumps n shimmers, its a good bit of gear once adjusted properly, i also cleaned-repacked the cv's n fit new boots while at it. now she drives nice..... next il'e go through some future plans for Surfette :cool: "DUCK"

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » September 29th, 2012, 7:32 pm

OK so happy with the Truck so far But i still have an obsession to fit in a V8.

So my journey begins & here's the story,
I sustained an injury at work which left me unable to carry on working as a carpenter, with no insurance i was left on the waiting list for a major shoulder reconstruction, things got tough with no job no $$$$ & living in pain with dissrupted sleep i was being put to the test i thought!

When in the summer of 2010 the Surf got a pin hole in the radiator head tank & needed topping up more frequently i meant to get around to fixing it but not soon enough, after a $880 radiator repair a few days before xmas :( we took a trip to the coast & on the way back had some heating issues sorted it out with another $300 to natrad but felt like it lost a bit of power.
So i said to myself il'e start saving n selling car bits to put towards the parts needed to V8 the SURF, Already having a freshly built bottom end Holden 308 & freshly built TH350 stage 2 shift transmission sitting in a VK donour car made it easy to decide against a more expensive 1-uz conversion but i will have to run dedicated gas on this carby fed 330 stroker to comply with emmisions.
Id'e prefer a TH700 but Il'e just use what ive got cause theres an upside to using the TH350 against a TH700 when building off a budget,
NO' 1; TH350 is a stronger transmision & can put up with more punishment
NO' 2; TH350 is about 50mm shorter caseing than the TH700 which allows more room up front for a engine driven fan to fit

A couple of pic's of the donour V8

I was experiencing a sticky starter solenoid for months using excess diesel then one day the starter stopped starting in the driveway so that day we bought a cheap vr commadore came home & i started to repair the starter motor problem by firstly disconnecting both batteries then moved onto unplugging the whole wiring loom off the engine block, transmission & transfer-case.
Using a 30lt 1KZ-TE repair manual i identified each plug-wire & labeled its purpose to aid wiring up later on.

Yes! im pulling the diesel donk & tranny out to make way for the new V8 transplant :D
Now before i started unbolting i took measurements of the SURF driveline from the transfercase mount centre to fan face
=1470mm & 1500mm to the radiator face with a 30mm gap between the radiator & fan

The driveline of the V8 + TH350 + Marks addapter housing 160mm together from the ^ T/C mount centre to fan face is at
=1526mm & 1555mm to the radiator face with a 29mm gap between the radiator & fan

as you can see above the V8 driveline is 55mm longer & wont fit its already cutting through the radiator by 26mm so im left with two options
Opt 1; try & push the lot back 55mm & modify x-member n drive shafts by 55mm, then the firewall would need to go back atleast 65mm in places so the motor & transmission can get mated up, this would be big $$$$$ or
Opt 2; I just cut out frontx-member & move it forward 60mm this way i can fit clutch fan with a H/D 75 series radiator 4core to keep things cool, only have to massage the firewall about 10mm to 25mm in places with a hammer with the advantage of keeping the drive shafts as they are, i took this Opt 2 ofcourse. ;)

Next il'e be stripping out the TH350 to swap over the Mark's conversion shortened rear shaft & mating up the transfer/case using the Mark's addaptor housing so stay tuned, heres my u beut transmission jig pic

Happy Wheelin "DUCK"

stormtrooper
Been here a while

Unread post by stormtrooper » September 30th, 2012, 9:54 am

A 94 Grey import Surf and a carby (pre 1988) Holden V8. Methinks that would be illegal in every Australian state and territory unless your run the V8 only on LPG. Edelbrock manifold without an EGR would also put a red flag up for the conversion to pass I think.

I had to fit a 1989 or younger engine to my Troopcarrier if I intended to use Petrol. I hope you have asked an engineer about all of these things.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » September 30th, 2012, 11:51 am

Toyholden wrote: but i will have to run dedicated gas on this carby fed 330 stroker to comply with emmisions.
Think he has that covered, and at any point most states only really cope with a max of 50mm lift..

Looks like a fun build anyway
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » September 30th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Yep Storm straight gas is in & fuel tank coming out in about 30mins & im not sure about the EGR when running dedicated gas (anyone).....
As for the lift it actually sits 30mm higher now than in the pic's iv'e posted so far,
When i spoke with the engineer he said he'd pass it with the carby on it aslong as the motor is clean running & i run euro 4 or 5 cat convertors, connect all pollution gear including the EGR i gather! then have it emmission tested, he's passed others like this no probs but i went with straight gas anyway.

i think its a bit too high up i might just bring it back down a tad, but first i wanna see what the Engineer says, i think it handles well for a tall truck!
The Engineer will perform a sway test At 90km/h simulating an overtaking proceedure if it passes the suspension will stay as is or maybe an inch lower, We'l see when the time comes.

thanks Stretch it has been great fun, but alot of hard work & patience are required not to mention $$$$$ to do this buildup but at the end of the day im glad i committed myself to keep on going cause im almost there :eek: so i keep telling myself.
So transmission gut out & fittup coming next......

stormtrooper
Been here a while

Unread post by stormtrooper » October 1st, 2012, 2:43 pm

I read that a few times and never saw that at all stretch4x4. Thanks for pointing it out.

stormtrooper
Been here a while

Unread post by stormtrooper » October 1st, 2012, 2:48 pm

You can use an EGR with LPG but it really doesn't do much for older engines. Certainly the newer EFI engines converted to LPG are ok with them but the older carby converted to LPG I'd personally leave the EGR off.

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » October 1st, 2012, 4:04 pm

G'day Wheelers,
Before i get into the Trans rear shaft,

Like i mentioned b4 i always planned on V8ing the SURF it just wasn't on my priority list till the ol diesel began playin up that i got serious with the idea, so after alot of foruming & researching, i bit the bullet & purchased the following list

Full Gas setup $ 200
Hilux 5spd Transfer/Case with stick & coupler,
with new mount $ 330
Mark's TH350 rear shaft & addaptor housing $ 1005
Mark's steering damper relocation kit $ 125
Mark's handbrake relocation kit $ 75
Mark's shipping $ 55
TH350 dust cover $ 40
TH350 deap pan sump MOROSO $ 220
TH350 braided billet flexy dip stick $ 100
TH350 overhall gasket kit $ 70
TH350 overhall Manual $ 30
6 x Stepper Gauges & wiring board's $ 400
B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter $ 240
Starter motor EFI V8 high/torque $ 165
Radiator H/D 75 Cruiser 4 core $ 330
Custom made Engine/Mounts Materials n labour $ 100
LED Toggle switches, Starter button, Relay's,
Fuses, Indicator/light's, Carling Contura II switch
Assort'd crimp terminals, wire,Test/light n Crimp's $ 280
Lubricants, 308 Thermostat & water pump $ 180
308 1 piece rubber sump gasket, oil filter $ 40
B&M trans cooler & hoses $ 70
Parts cleaner & solvent $ 180
TOTAL $ 4245

I still need to pay for

Exaust merge $ 150
gas fittup $ 1000
New Tyres $ 1500
Engineer $ 1600
Electronic speedo piggyback sender & speed-
Transducer (speed calibrator) $ 280
TOTAL $ 4530
CONVERSION COST SO FAR "With Tyres" $ 8775
LESS THE TYRES $ 7275

Yep then down the track more cost with a coiled live axle front to do, I have a pair of Front/Back hilux diffs with 80 series centres with air lockers that i will eventually get around to fitting in,

Anyway's back to the Trans..... >

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » October 1st, 2012, 4:11 pm

stormtrooper wrote:
Toyholden wrote:Yep Storm straight gas is in & fuel tank coming out in about 30mins & im not sure about the EGR when running dedicated gas (anyone).....
You can use an EGR with LPG but it really doesn't do much for older engines. Certainly the newer EFI engines converted to LPG are ok with them but the older carby converted to LPG I'd personally leave the EGR off.
thanks STORM,
So i hope what you are saying is it will pass inspection with no EGR needed when on straight gas :thumb:

stormtrooper
Been here a while

Unread post by stormtrooper » October 1st, 2012, 4:37 pm

It should in NSW, I'm not sure about the ACT.

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » October 2nd, 2012, 12:10 am

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Iv'e been trying to post the trans gut out with pic's Three times & failed to load says it cant find the web page every time it finishes loading & i lose the lot i give up for today 9 agonising hours im peed off bad :irked:
The trans is done & in any way, the drive shafts are painted up & on, the fire walls modified & painted, the hand brake relocation is done & steering damper relocation brackets welded on il'e try some pic's again, just a few then il'e edit in the rest of the gut out later :cool:

hand brake relocation bracket

With the motor attached to the trans i sat the engine in place after lots of measuring & block thickness chages i got it where i wanted it, i had to make up & fit a 30mm body lift to help clear the trans bellhousing in the trans tunnel all sorted

sumps got plenty of room away from the steering

now i can measure up & design some custom Engine mounts then get to work making them, heres a few plans i drew up

so mark them on some 5mm plate & get the grinder out, some 30mm ID tube, some 42mm ID squire tube &chop chop with a little fileing i ended up with this

OK more later here goes nothin

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » October 2nd, 2012, 12:18 am

WOW it Finally loaded something not what i wanted but something never the less :thumb: so il'e finish up for tonight try again 2morow :zzz:

NATHAN_91_HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NATHAN_91_HILUX » October 2nd, 2012, 6:46 pm

wow thats cool mate, and good stuff with the drawings. i have a quick question with the rear extension bump stops and how you fitted them??

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » October 3rd, 2012, 8:36 am

thanks Nathan'
The kit supplied the xtended bump stops & bolts to suit, I just followed the instructions.
I fitted them on with the coil's out

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”