Scrumpyoh's '79 FJ45 Troopy - Toyotasaurus

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Re: Scrumpyoh's '79 FJ45 Troopy - Toyotasaurus

Unread post by No Fn Idea » September 23rd, 2012, 9:39 pm

Looks like an awesome job. Love the concept pic at the start and I can't wait to see your final product

Cheers
Nick
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » September 23rd, 2012, 10:11 pm

Man you have some great skills!! I have a Navara sitting at home in similar condition.....I just parked it in the back yard.
It is now our new planter box!!
I do not have the skill to do what some of you guys can!
Well done!

Cheers

scrumpyoh
Here and there

Unread post by scrumpyoh » September 24th, 2012, 8:53 pm

TrueBlueNavara & Mungrel, thanks!

thanks Nick! yeah I can't either :D I'm hoping for a Summer finish, but at the moment it's day by day haha

Haha BD, I wouldn't say I have skills, just patience mostly :D Yeah well that's what I didn't want to happen to it. People have said they would've abandoned the idea if they saw that rust. At least I know for next time to get something a little less rusty :D
"Migaloo" 1998 105 Series Landcruiser - Everyday
"Toyotasaurus" - 1979 FJ45 2F Troopcarrier - Ze Project

scrumpyoh
Here and there

Unread post by scrumpyoh » September 25th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Finished the rust repair below the Driver's side door sill! :D the folds were hand beaten around, and is hopefully on the same angle as the guards, if not a couple of degree off. I matched the angle measurement on the passenger side, so here's hoping. did a bit on the passenger side too, but pics aren't really needed. still have to join underneath to the underside of the floor etc.

Next up bits around the floor/bed, underside cracks and rust in body supports etc., then onto the floor pans and windscreen mounts/cowl :D

92sr5dan
Been here a while

Unread post by 92sr5dan » September 30th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Unreal mate. The old metal cancer loves our trucks. Cant wait to see the finished product.
68 FJ40
81 HJ47 Ute project http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=129096
03 Prado Wifeys bus.
UBIQUE!

scrumpyoh
Here and there

Unread post by scrumpyoh » October 10th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Finished the Drivers side floor pan today (after roughly 2 days work). Made that corner piece from the floor of an early cruiser (where the fuel tank is in the cab) and flipped it upside down to fit that mounded shape. So it misses a fuel line, and leaves enough room to get to the transfer arms etc. Pretty stoked with how it turned out, and definitely todays beers :D So now it's only a few little rust spots to go then it's time for primer, then fixing anything engine wise, and drivetrain wise

Before:

Now:

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » October 11th, 2012, 1:24 am

nice work mate, coming together bit by bit

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » October 11th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Tiz really starting to get some love ... Almost past the hard bit. :)
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

safari truck
Been here a while

Unread post by safari truck » October 15th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Mate i love it...(the customising it that is!)...and love the fact that you're also doin a fine job.
top stuff...
This is mine...just to help your enthusiasm yeah?
Love it to bits but she's a bit of a rough 'un...and should be on the 35's but the 2h dont really like 'em eh?
I'll be back from time to time to see where you end up so keep up the good work and keep postin...
Most people will LOVE the mods...(and purists are never really happy anyway)
Cheers :D
Adulthood... its about doing the things you dreamt about as a child...and hurry it up...there is a time limit!

scrumpyoh
Here and there

Unread post by scrumpyoh » October 15th, 2012, 9:23 pm

hell yeah! Safari truck, that is nice! do you have a build thread anywhere with more details? is that a 4 seater or just the 2 in the front?

I believe I'm at the point now, where I'm panel beating and getting it nearly straight enough so when I prime and bog it, I don't have to use 100kg's of the stuff haha

scrumpyoh
Here and there

Unread post by scrumpyoh » October 22nd, 2012, 7:58 pm

Have sealed the whole car now inside and underneath. Covering my welds (after being treated of course) and fixing up any areas where the original sickaflex stuff was missing from underneath. should keep a fair bit of water out now. or even in! haha mind you, the passenger side floor pan was fixed by the PO, and that's why there's a bit more sealer in that area.

I'm going back out to work for 4 weeks in November, but at this stage I will look at cutting some doors, fixing the windscreen surround, and scuffing up the car, and painting some Primer onto it.

Slowly but surely

safari truck
Been here a while

Unread post by safari truck » October 22nd, 2012, 9:36 pm

Hey mate, the nice work continues i see... ;)
Nah haven't got a build thread for the ole beast...must do a 'show an tell' in the 40 series section one o these days :lol:
An lookin at your rust...WOW... :eek: :eek: ... I feel HEAPS better about the 'steel termites' in mine...its like you're only using the old body for a vague template and building yourself a new body throughout! :lol:
i'm starting to think this is going to be one heck of a concept 4wd when done!!
keep postin mate...we're all watchin... :D
Adulthood... its about doing the things you dreamt about as a child...and hurry it up...there is a time limit!

scrumpyoh
Here and there

Unread post by scrumpyoh » October 22nd, 2012, 10:24 pm

yeah safari, info on your truck would be awesome! yeah i've had a few people comment on how much rust there was, and how they would've just gotten another truck and not bothered. now I get to rub it in their face :D it's definitely 100% better than what it was when I started. was watching a vid of the ICON fj44 cruisers from the states. I think maybe the next build will be a 4 door softop. either that or a rat rod ute :D

safari truck
Been here a while

Unread post by safari truck » November 17th, 2012, 8:39 am

and now?

scrumpyoh
Here and there

Unread post by scrumpyoh » November 30th, 2012, 6:51 pm

haha sorry mate, only just got back from a month away from home for work. First things first is to sand back all that ferropre-waterproofer stuff and also the surface, and paint with Epoxy Primer, the same as what I did to the guards.

But most importantly I have to fix Little Red first. The rust is getting too bad in the front cowl below the windscreen where the bonnet latches to, so I have to cut and shut all that next week, then it's move on back to Toyotasaurus.

Updates will flow soon :D

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”