Evolution of my Jackaroo

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
SaltHorse
Been here a while

Evolution of my Jackaroo

Unread post by SaltHorse » August 28th, 2012, 9:04 pm

I have bought a Jackaroo to replace the old Suzuki.
The third member of our family arrived in July prompting the purchase of a bigger 4WD. It has been my intention to build up a tourer for a while after having had the Suzuki as a pure play vehicle.
To finance the change I sold my motorbike. When the Suzuki sells it will be transformed in to a winch bar and winch, or maybe suspension and tyres. But hopefully not mechanical repairs.

The Jackaroo is a 2000 model with the 3.0l diesel. It has just over 200,000km's on the clock. I was going to buy new tyres but when I inspected it, there was Geolander A/Ts with about 50% tread. I think these will do for a little bit and I'll put the money elsewhere. I was attracted to this vehicle because 11 months ago the engine was rebuilt from the sump up to the tune of $15,000. New pistons, piston rings, bearings, timing belt, oil and oil filter, gaskets for head, sump, rocker cover, front seal, rear main seal. Full exhaust and inlet manifold gasket, water pump gasket.
The cylinder head was serviced, crank grinding, boring and honing the block. Injectors were serviced and calibrated.

The previous owner said the clutch was slipping on hills, so I got a pretty good price taking this in to account. I have $2,000 in the bank for a replacement solid flywheel and clutch kit. But the clutch wasn't slipping for me. So today while driving up a really steep hill I applied the brakes and accelerator with the car in 2nd and at about 2k RPM, this did make the clutch slip a little. Would a good clutch slip in this situation? I'm just not sure how much life the clutch has in it, or if I need to replace it at all.

So, with all this work having been completed within the last year, with good maintenance I'm hoping to have lots of trouble free wheeling.

It's fitted with two hella (look like 120s) on the bull bar. I have another set of hella 120s on the Suzuki to go in. It had a Uniden UH500SX fitted. I have a Uniden UH015SX coming out of the Suzuki. I'll put that in to a roof console when I get time to build it. I'm looking at building one like Mungrel's.

Anyway here's a photo of the new truck at work today.

I'll keep this thread updated with the progress of the build.

Cheers,

Salty.
Last edited by SaltHorse on October 15th, 2012, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6
2000 Holden Jackaroo 3.0 TD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=135354
2002 Nissan Patrol ZD30 viewtopic.php?f=187&t=145261

patrol buster
Been here a while

Re: New Member to the Jackaroo World

Unread post by patrol buster » August 28th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Biggest tip i can give you salty is run the right oil mate, 0/30 grade is what you need and if anybody tells you otherwise their full of sh#t, it's not cheap but will save you a lot of heart ache later in life.
They run a "Caterpillar" type of injection system which very few mechanics know about, it's tricky and expensive to repair ($1000 per injector).
I remember reading somewhere to have your "o" rings changed regularly in your injectors as they do fail.
Clutch replacement should set you back "about" $1500.
Nice Jack mate, they are comfy, enjoy :thumb:

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » August 31st, 2012, 10:29 pm

G'day Salthorse,
Very neat looking roo ya have there!
Sounds like some good mods you have planned.
As for the clutch slipping, well in my opinion there's no hard an fast rule as to how long a clutch will last when it starts to slip. The clutch in my ute pretty well refuses to slip no matter what torture you put it through, (then being a twin plate you'd expect that haha) The clutch in my roo on maybe 2 occasions has played up making me think about replacing it, but then quickly sorts itself out.
I guess the more you drive the car the more you learn about what it does and doesn't like and what's normal compared to what isn't :thumb:
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » September 3rd, 2012, 9:35 pm

I changed the oil last night to penrite diesel 5 5w40. The service manual said a change with filter would take 6l of oil. But when I dropped the oil to an 8 litre pan it overflowed until I could grab a bucket.
So for the second time in not so long my garage floor got a dose of oil over it. Good thing the kitty litter was swept up in to apple next to the car waiting for me to bin it. So I spread it over the oil again. It takes about two as but it does the Rick in removing all the oil.
So my question, how much oil does it really take? I used the better part of the 10l drum I bought.
The car seems to run well, with a bit of white smoke on start up. One of the batteries was indicating low in its inspection glass so it's on charge tonight. I'll see how it goes in the morning. Otherwise I might have to check out the glow plugs as my second option.
I got under the car with degreaser and the hose tonight too, there seems to be a lot of oil under there. When its clean hopefully I can see where it's come from. It seemed the gearbox and transfer case had oil on the underside. Didn't look fresh, will find out tomorrow when it's light and I can have a look.

Fr my next project the roof consol. I'm thinking of getting the mould of the roof line by bending wire of something similar to the shape of the roof. Then laying on cardboard to get the shape and refine as a stencil.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Because I've sold the motorbike and Vitara to finance this project I can't delve too deep, I still need it to get to work during the week.

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » September 3rd, 2012, 9:40 pm

I can't help with any capacities sorry, however i feel your pain with the oil leaks. Mine has stuff caked on all over the shop. I've degreased it several times but some of it remains quite stubborn. That being said, it very rarely drops anything on the ground.

Good idea about bending the wire to match the roof line, i hadn't thought of that, i just used cardboard. If you cover it in some padded stuff as i did, that will fill in any gaps when you mount it to the roof :thumb:

When in doubt,

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » September 3rd, 2012, 9:49 pm

Good tip, so I don't have to stress about it fitting exactly. Thinking about finishing it in black vinel maybe putting a bit of foam underneath to give it a padded look.
The Jack doesn't seem to be dropping oil on the ground either, so here's hoping it's not something that needs to be addressed immediately.
I enjoying driving the car and coming from petrol cars am getting used to the truck like acceleration.
Do love the sound of this diesel though.

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » September 4th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Nice Jac Salty ! :thumb: $ 15 k for the engine rebuild ! wow! I don't know too much on those diesels except that like said they love the clean and proper oil, also they were meant to be way ahead of their time being a lill complicated ., looked after it should outlast you , the white smoke you see on start up would be unburnt fuel, my work truck spews out heaps in the morn and has always done it from an $ 8 k rebuild, 5-6 yrs ago, not a big deal.

Ha Ha , I had to sell my 84 yam xt 250 to fund my jack too, very tidy bike for it's age and did heaps to it but couldn't fit the family on it :D , not selling the boat ! ! !

My first clutch had to be replaced cause it was chattering and slipping, last one ( a year later) was due to mud getting in and forced the failure of the throwout bearing and heaps of other stuff thats to hurting to speak about still , seems they all have there own way of saying there on there way out? for the oil t/case . . . feel around the top to see if thats where it might be leaking from, mine was and needed to be sealed at the gear change box on top. so far it's not leaking anymore :D did that when the g/box was out.

8 litres of oil sound like to much , what did the dip stick say?

Cheers :drink:

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » September 4th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Thanks Dree Mon. The dip stick had the oil at about 1/3 of the way up from the lower mark. I really don't know where all the oil goes, especially as the documentation indicates that a fill from factory is:

Oil capacity (Original factory fill or rebuilt engine) - 7.1 liters (6.3 US quarts)

Oil capacity (Service change)
with filter change - 6.0 liters (6.3 US quarts)
without filter change - 5.0 liters (5.3 US quarts)

All I can think of is if it has been modified, bigger sump or something to increase the oil capacity to increase it's heat handling ability. I really don't know.

I had a look at the glow plugs tonight to see if they were working, they were first on my suspect list for the smoke on start. There's next to no resistance between the rail on the plugs and earth. So at least one of them are working. I get 9v across them when the ignition is turned on, they stay live for a while after starting also. But I later found out this is a feature not a fault. They remain on for a further 120 seconds or so as part of the Quick on Start II system.

So one the whole the relay fuse and wiring harness are good, maybe 9v is too low for the plugs to operate properly. It comes back up to normal voltage once the alternator kicks in on start. The other thing is I would have to remove the intercooler to get access to the plugs to individually test their resistance in case there's only one operating. As I currently can only get a probe on the common rail connected to the top of all of them.

I also had a look at the ARB price list today. I want a winch bar but there only seems to be deluxe bars for the Jack, and these are closer to the $2k mark than I like. The commercial bar is more the way I roll but there isn't one listed for Jacks. I suppose this is the beginning of not owning a Nissan or Toyota :p

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6

cooch72
Been here a while

Unread post by cooch72 » September 4th, 2012, 10:29 pm

I replaced a head on a jack a few months ago. The injectors require oil pressure to activate but are electronicly controlled. One of the first common rail systems placed on a passenger vehicle I believe. The oil issue is mainly for the injectors to work properly. I have heard of issues with cold weather starting with heavier oils. If you have an O'ring issue on your injectors the sump will get diesel contamination. Be mindfull of that. The one I replaced had diesel in the radiator. They have a very complex head assembly. Overall they seem to have a great engine.

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » September 9th, 2012, 5:40 pm

This weekend I took the draws from the Suzuki and fitted them in the back of the Jack. They'll do for now but they could be a whole lot bigger. There's a lot of space between the draws and the rear doors.
I also had the engine cover off to check the glow plugs. They all have almost no resistance so al is good there.
The throttle had a heap of black oil/gunk. There was a little in the throttle side if the intercooler pipe but hardly any in the turbo side. So it's not come from the turbo which I first feared. I can only think now that maybe it's from the EGR. Can anyone confirm this? Might be why I'm blowing smoke when the revs hit about the 2,000 mark.
There's no fuel in the coolant, coolant in the fuel tank or fuel in the oil. Which must be a good thing.

The clutch is on it's way out. So far I've found an exedy clutch and flywheel on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLUTCH-JACKA ... 533wt_1397
not sure if this is good value though, seems pretty steep $1,000 extra for a flywheel. Any advice on clutch replacements?

Here's some photos of the draws and more of the car.

1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » September 10th, 2012, 8:14 am

Drawers look good.
At a guess, the standard flywheel must be a dual mass thing, and that kit on ebay does away with that setup and replaces it with a single mass flywheel.

When in doubt,

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » September 10th, 2012, 6:54 pm

You're right. Its got a dual mass flywheel at the moment.
I bought a exedy clutch kit and replacement solid flywheel for $1,800 delivered. The flywheel has a sensor in it for the electronic fuel injection control. I imagine this is why it seems a bit pricey. I booked the car in to Coogee Auto on Carington Rd to change it out. I've never changed a clutch before and don't have the man power to take the box out or the alignment tool. So it's $650 in labour for the garage to do it.
It still puts it in the $2,500 range which a few people on the Australia4WD forum have had to fork out. But, that's better than the $4,000 odd for the replacement dual mass flywheel which is know to last between 25,000km and 230,000km. At least with the solid unit a new clutch is about $800 plus machining of the flywheel about $70.

So it's booked in Friday, I'll let you know how it goes with the solid flywheel.

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » October 2nd, 2012, 6:33 pm

OK have a bit of work done. I had a workshop fit the new clutch and flywheel, total cost $2,500. Has made a big improvement to how it drives, I think the old one was closer to death then I thought.
Over the weekend I fitted a snorkel and the Raw4x4 2" lifted suspension. The lift looks good and the ride has actually improved over stock.

Here's the suspension kit.

And the snorkel.

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » October 6th, 2012, 7:50 pm

The new solid f/wheel would make it feel diff for sure, more grunty feel without the dampening fr the old, I had an exedy fitted to mine not long ago 3.2 petty, about 1/2 the price of yours, then the gen 1's are less than 1/2 price,

it's my 2n'd clutch in just over a year so don't feel to bad, $ 1200 x 2, :cry:

I fit the King springs in mine about 4 months ago ? love em,! they used to have a bad name a few yrs back but theyre using better steel now. I have monroe shocks that still work well, how do the raw nitros go ? your jack looks very tidy ,
it can only get better . . . if ya treat it nice :drink:

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » October 8th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Spent last weekend exploring around Newnes and did the Blackfellows track and Spanish steps and some random tracks.
The Jack behaved nicely, had heaps of traction and seemed to walk up even the biggest steps. The nitro shocks worked well, no noticeable fade over corrugations, not that we spent long on them but was a very comfortable ride.

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”