106 Hilux, crossover, 3 link rear. Tough tourer

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Re: 106 Hilux, crossover, 3 link rear. Tough tourer

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » February 25th, 2015, 9:41 pm

It's off a triton mate. Single cab. I searched everywhere till I found a clean, straight second hand one. A mate of mine worked at toyota and got me the genuine tray body sticker. Yeah it drives a fair bit better, the last one I think weighted about 300-400kg heavier than the alloy one. I would never go back to a steel tray

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » February 25th, 2015, 10:02 pm

It's been a little while since the last update. Just been collecting parts. Went to glasshouse a couple of weeks back. Blew a fatigued power steering line. So I had that replaced at enzed. Got all new bearings, swivel bearings, brakes. I upgraded the freewheeling hub bolts. From m6 to m8 Allen key bolts. Reason being, I snapped one each side while nipping them up. So I tapped them all out to m8.

Other news is I've entered in the Claytons towing great car challenge at round one of the superior short coarse. I got a vs commy for 500$. My mate is helping me with the cage. We welded the diff, stripped it of glass and interior, got a window net, cut the exhaust just past the manifold( it's f ing loud :D ). Moving it out the front of my house the auto jambed in park. After hours of trying to free it we gave up. So I had to get another 4l60e for it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » March 1st, 2015, 8:20 pm

Here's some more pics of the commy.. Roll cage is done, roll padding is done, air freshers are in. I've sneaked in a radiator surport made out of some 75x5 plate, and 40x40 box. SJust to protect the bottom of the radiator from hitting the ground. I'm also going to sneak in some 40x40 box in front of the radiator. So I can ram other cars and not have to worry about the rad to much.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » March 1st, 2015, 8:26 pm

Big thanks to Offroad Solutions for all the guidance with the cage. And bending up the main hoop. It's really tight inside the car. Which is great considering he just dropped over took some measurements and jotted them down on a xxxx box. Bent it up at home. I picked it and fits like glove.
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » March 13th, 2015, 8:36 pm

Well, short coarse in the commo didn't go to plan. It caught fire the first lap of the first race, auto fluid was gushing from the bottom of the dip stick caught fire on the exhaust and the grass I stopped on. The engine or torque converter or something was playing up cos when we got it back to the pits we couldn't start it. It was like a ceased engine. But we could roll over the engine with a breaker bar. So I missed the rest of Saturday's racing. Sunday morning we figured we replace the starter motor. Jumped started it and got it going. But it had a seriously bad bottom end knock/ squeel. We threw some auto fluid in it and lined it up. Got through most of the first lap till the engine died. It went smokey, cough cough bang. Got it back to the pits again. And the dip stick was stuck in. We ripped it out, but couldn't get it back in again. Oh well. So I'm up for another ecotec v6.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » March 13th, 2015, 8:40 pm

image.jpg
Took the Luxy out there on Sunday to give it run on the travel ramp. Came second in the leaf class behind a comp zook. Why leaf class?? I don't know. But atleast I beat everyone who actually drove their car home. :waycool:
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » May 13th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Well I've been quiet on here, but busy in life. Cape prepping is in full swing, well I'm done now but had a hectic couple of months juggling working Saturdays and spending time with my bride and child before I go and prepping the Hilux to make it to the cape and back.

So once again front and rear bearings, all brake pads and shoes and drums have been replaced. Full service, all the intercooler piping has been sealed, new winch hook, new solendoid, all sorts of crap has gone on. In/ out buttons on the grill is a cool addition, rebuilt the winch.. New air freshers.

Had the tensioner bearing for the timing belt let go the other morning. Luckily the ute was only idling and I shut it off as soon as I heard it. I don't know how or why it let go. The engine has only 40 tho on it after its rebuild. Anyway I swapped it out and changed the water pump and the harmonic balancer after I knoticed the keyway had a bit of slack, I've also noticed it wabbling a bit. When I swaped the belt I turned it over by hand 4 full rotations and it wasn't binding it or felling like it was getting tight. The first turnover was nerve racking I'm telling ya, :petrified: .

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » May 13th, 2015, 7:35 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » May 13th, 2015, 7:49 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg

So if you go back to the first post of this thread you'll read that we lost our mate 5 years ago when we were heading back from the Cape. We always wanted to get back up there for Todd. This year being the 5 year anniversary means a lot to us and Toddy's family. We're replacing his cross on our way up. About 10ks south of Carmila. We're staying there for the night. Then day 2 pushing up to Cairns. We have a plaque that we are placing up at the tip somewhere. Hopfully overlooking the ocean. It was Todd's life dream to do the Cape, and if there was enough work up there, and if you could get him away from his family, he would of loved living up there. He had a wild sense of adventure and he followed it. If you get up there and see the plaque take a picture for us and post it on here. I plan I getting up there every 5 years or sooner.
image.jpg
image.jpg

lanks_87
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by lanks_87 » June 12th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Hey Mate,

Just wanted to say drop by and say thanks for the awesome read! and also offer my condolences for Todd.

Thanks again!
I don't know what I'm doing yet...

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » June 12th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Thanks mate.

If you've come here to find some good news, well your crap out of luck... Like me.

So we left on the 1st june. We nearly got to Carmila, then I heard this allmighty loud bang. Well you can see for yourself how bad the damage is. Snapped a rod, spun a bearing, timing knocked out, valves smashed the Pistons. My mates patrol towed me into Carmila. We were stopped by the local policeman, who said we were doing everything right and just get it into town, which we did. So my mates cross is about 20ks south of Carmila. It wasn't till we headed back to the crash site that we realized the lux blew up about 500m from it. Little bit spooky I must admit. So we changed Todds cross over for the new one headed back to the caravan park in Carmila and stayed there the night, working out what we were going to do. We decided to tow the lux back to Brisbane, back home. We made the call which was a hard decision to call off the trip all together. We didn't want to push our luck.

But next year we have a few more mates who will be available to go, so next year we will try again. It is what it is, yeah we spend hundreds on food and thousands preppin the utes. But like I said, we didn't think it was a good idea to push our luck( well it was my idea mostly, Pat in the gu was still pretty keen) but after what happened last time I thought it was the smart decision.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » June 12th, 2015, 9:10 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » June 12th, 2015, 9:15 pm

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]image.jpg[/attachment]

So as you can see there the block is stuffed. Luckily I had a mate find me a running 2.8 for a bottle of turkey. We're pulling it down, and with the help of a few great mates it shouldn't cost me more than 2500g to have it full rebuilt.

We're still trying to work out why there seems to be signs of oil starvation on the bearings. Whether it's the oil pump or oil itself, or an oil pressure problem, whatever it is we'll have to get to the bottom of it before it wrecks the new engine.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » November 25th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Havnt been on here for a while. Heaps has gone on. Got the lux's engine all rea built and run in, dynoed tuned. Done about 3000k on it. Seems to be going good so far. Been to glassy once, cruiser twice, tewantin beach once. Other stuff has happened as well. Bought new Micky t claws for it, 285/75r16's again. Sold the treps and bighorns. Installed a hot water shower, pulled apart the air con and heat exchanger. Cleaned that up and got the aircon re gassed. Moved the steering damper from the tie rod to diff, to the draglink to chassis. Made a huge difference. The car doesn't wander no where near as bad. Found some rust starting in the floor, cleaned that up and Penetroled the whole underside of the cab and repainted it with chassis black.

And put it on it's side at cruiser. Really dinged the drivers door now. I have a spare ready to be painted, something I can do on the holidays.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » November 25th, 2015, 8:32 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”