106 Hilux, crossover, 3 link rear. Tough tourer

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Re: 106 Hilux, crossover, 3 link rear. Tough tourer

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » October 26th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Yeah that's the plan!!

It'll be interesting how ya go with it in the front. Like auto lockers in the rear, everyone has a different opinion on how they work, and if they unlock when you need them to. Once I sort this wireing out I'll get it fitted. I guess I could throw it in now while the lux isn't going anywhere.

Chrisso82
Here and there

Unread post by Chrisso82 » October 27th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Hey mate just had a read through your thread took a bit .nice truck mate credit to you good build!!!!!

I'm runnin a auto lokka in the front of my lux and works great but steering is a little heavy ..
Can u enlighten me on the spartan rear locka u are installing is it also a auto locker ????

gutless
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by gutless » October 27th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Hey Mate, very cool build.
i was curious as to how much boost your running, still 14psi? and how much of a difference the intercooler made and a link for where i can find one if possible. i have a 2.4 on 12psi on 35's and am thinking about the upgrade. i love the 3 link btw, very kool
Cheers
Happy as a pig in mud

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » October 28th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Chrisso82 wrote:Hey mate just had a read through your thread took a bit .nice truck mate credit to you good build!!!!!

I'm runnin a auto lokka in the front of my lux and works great but steering is a little heavy ..
Can u enlighten me on the spartan rear locka u are installing is it also a auto locker ????

Yeah it's an auto. It's the same as a lock rite lokka, but the return springs are bigger in the Spartan.
gutless wrote:Hey Mate, very cool build.i was curious as to how much boost your running, still 14psi? and how much of a difference the intercooler made and a link for where i can find one if possible. i have a 2.4 on 12psi on 35's and am thinking about the upgrade. i love the 3 link btw, very kool
Cheers
Its set at 11psi now. The cooler made a little difference. I couldnt find any info that said it worked well or not. So I just done it. In colder nights it pulls a little harder, but on hot Qld days it doesn't really help I don't think. But any cooler is better than no cooler.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » November 8th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Got some work done on the lux and starting cape preparations. Might be a while away yet but it's never early to start prepping.

Got the Spartan in. Got all the wireing done and switch pannel installed. Still waiting on the rock light switch cover tho. While the drivers seat was out I figured I better pull the interior out and clean up the floor pan, and pull the dash apart, clean that up too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 94 TURBO HILUX on November 9th, 2014, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » November 8th, 2014, 11:27 pm

Penetrol is also a vinyl restorer. Drivers side has been spray and polished with penetrol. It dries as a smooth kind ofclear coat on the vinyl. Really makes a hell of a difference. I done the door cards aswell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » November 10th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Switches all 100% done. All wiring 100% done. Big job, I'm glad it's done. I ran one constant power up to the switches and 15 wires up there in 3 lengths of 5 core trailer wire. And I used all but 2 or 3 wires I think. And only 3 or so wired to the ignition like the thermo fan. All the relays run into the second factory fuse box. And I made good use of the side terminals on the optima red top. All the wires are guaranteed 1 colour from where they start to where they run to, finally. All wires going through the p clips on the engine bay. Looks almost professional.

Oh and I don't think I ever mentioned that I actually got it all mod plated. I kept the plate in the glove box for all this time cos I was hoping to paint the engine bay. I figured Id better stick it on before I got in trouble.

So it's ready for summer wheeling. Hoping not to break it or whatever this summer. Trying to keep it on the road so I can make good use of it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » November 12th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Did you end up installing the spartan locker yourself?

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » November 12th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Nah. My mate done me a pretty good price. And checked the backlash and preload and checked the gears again. after the trouble he had making them fit right, I didn't want to screw it all up.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » December 10th, 2014, 9:09 pm

So I'm back from another Fraser trip. This time with the bride and child so it wasn't as loose as the last time with the boys. We spent 4 days there, camped at Eli on the first night. 2nd night we were going to stay right up at the cape but we couldn't find a decent campsite, so we spent most of the day up there then just drove through all the camps on the way back till we found a good one. Ended up south of Indian head again, can't remember the spots name.

The lux didn't go so well. A week before we left the starter motor hung a leg out. Just after I dropped the rear tailshaft at driveline services at brendale to have it checked out. Turns out it was bent and dinged and the slip yoke was screwed. So I got another one made, 570$ later, plus $305 for the starter.. After spending that there was no way I'd pull out of the fraser trip.

On our way back from driveline I spotted this from accross the intersection. So me and the boys and the young fella stop in for a chat and get some new recovery gear. Turns out, your actually an alright bloke Shauno..lol.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » December 10th, 2014, 9:13 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » December 10th, 2014, 9:32 pm

So 2 tourist groups got a bit stuck in this. This 80 and a 79 troopy. We pulled up just as they were getting out and I grabed the shovel ( that's me on the jog) while my mate was grabbing snatch straps. Then this tool in a 100 series turns up swearing and carrying on like a wank, backs his 100 into the ocean( which he almost backed over a tourist) then me and my mate said get out of the water or your going to loose your car too.. He was nah nah and told us to F off while his 100 was getting smashed with waves. The tourists were calm and digging great till this wanker turned up. He then asked the driver if the 80 will start, old mate said no and its a petrol, then he carries on about petrols shouldn't be allowed on the beach, nek minute he starts his 100, hey it's a petrol too!

So he didn't have a recovery point on his 100, hooks into the little hole you screw your D shackle to for a trailer. Turns his music up full, Takes off like a bat outa hell, burning the crap out his clutch, gets the 80 out then just gets the 79 out the same way. Then gives the tourists a spraying about not driving through the washouts. I said well mate you shouldn't have backed into the wash out we had 2 straps hooked up ready to go, you didn't stop and think, you put 50 people's lives in danger hooking that shackle to the towbar like that. He told me to get F Ed again. Then took off. He had a business name on his 100, I think he done rainbow beach tours. I didn't get his number but if I did Id give him a spraying.
image.jpg

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » December 11th, 2014, 1:58 am

Yep, since the popularity of 4wding took off, it has attracted peni$'s every where.

Can't wait to head back next year. The Hilux is looking great to mate.

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » December 17th, 2014, 8:17 pm

wow... full on!
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » December 18th, 2014, 5:45 am