My 1990 4 Runner

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: My 1990 4 Runner

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 27th, 2015, 10:30 am

Might be worth checking all the earths on your dash, the instruments, & even the battery terminals/battery to body earth strap; & if sorting them doesn't fix it, then maybe getting the temp gauge checked to make sure it's not packing up - your workshop manual should have the correct readings you want across the gauge terminals.

Still, that sort of 'failure' in a gauge that rectifies itself once the engine is running harder/alt is charging @ full voltage is often a 'poor earth' issue - hey, might even be worthwhile checking the battery condition after the engine's been off for a few hours & the alt output at idle as well as at revs.... it does sound/look like the temp gauge particularly isn't getting enough juice at idle for some reason, so it's likely to be something like one of those^^

Good Luck! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » July 29th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Thanks Peter, I'll look into it.

A couple of photos from the weekend. :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 29th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Noice pics!! Where is that?? Looks veeerrry familiar, but my age-ing brain can't quite place it?! :confused:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » July 29th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Thanks mate.

It's the Tuglow River on the way to Dingo Dell.

Here's a video of the crossing :)

http://vid201.photobucket.com/albums/aa ... pknp3n.mp4

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » November 8th, 2015, 10:20 am

It's been a while since I've posted on here and Ive done a fair bit of work on the 4Runner.

Some pics and details below :)

I fitted a Dual Battery System. And used the airbox from a Surf to make room for the second battery.

Charge System

Power outlet with USB

I had to do a bit of work to raise the height of the cage to fit in the fridge as I bought it from EBay and was told the wrong model number

Fridge in dropped position on the drop down slide

All packed away. I have also fitted drawers in the back.

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » December 24th, 2015, 9:14 am

Got new rear springs fitted at Ultimate Suspension to take the extra weight of the drawers and the fridge etc

I also added some 12v lighting to the back so now more fumbling around in the dark looking for my beer

The old girl is now all set for our trip to Moreton Island after Christmas. Cant't wait!!

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » January 16th, 2016, 10:33 am

Did our trip to Moreton Island over the Holidays.

Over 2200km driven, with around 400km with the hubs locked in and the old girl didn't miss a beat :cool:

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » January 16th, 2016, 1:53 pm

You are not afraid of taking the old girl for a swim hey....Great car great location. I love Moreton. Where was the water crossing?

Cheers

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » January 17th, 2016, 8:37 am

BigDutchy

Thanks mate.

The water crossing is over at the Blue Lagoon Campground.

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » January 26th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Stoked!

I have been looking for a LONG time but I finally found a Kaymar rear bar and tyre carrier.

It will sort out any issues with the panhard rubbing on the 33" spare in it's current position.

It will look the goods too!

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » January 31st, 2016, 9:06 pm

Very disappointed.

I picked up the tyre carrier today from the freight company and it doesn't fit :)

The brackets are around 30mm too wide apart.

I'm going to pull the rear panels of the car next weekend and see if I can modify it to fit.

If not the seller has said they'll give me a full refund, but I'd rather get it on there.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 1st, 2016, 7:54 pm

Could you make some bushes to "cover" that 30mm?

Cheers. Like your car mate!!

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » February 2nd, 2016, 8:39 pm

BigDutchy

Maybe

I'll try and figure something out on the weekend.

4runnernomore
Been here a while

Unread post by 4runnernomore » February 6th, 2016, 12:09 pm

Mate,

It looks like the bar for an earlier model 4Runner. Ln 60 series 84-89). 2 door With removable canopy

Looks exactly like my old bar I had on my 4Runner. There is a couple of picture on here somewhere n my old girl.

If it is for the older model 4Runner don't even bother trying to modify it to fit.

Sell it on as people do look for these as Kaymare no longer make them and you should get good coin for it. What you have there with the tyre carrier is actually quite rare now.

Your model in a Kaymare bar fitted in between the the Factory side bumpers.

My advice get one custom built. Try Struth on the forum here as he is based in Melbourne. He has a great build on his old 4door 4Runner and made a fantastic rear tube bar protecting the whole rear end and came with Gerry can holder and held a 35 inch tyre. 4x4 rig gear is his company name. Does this on the side I believe.

This would be the best option as a Kaymar bar leaves you with the flimsy factory bumper sides that are easily damaged and the Kaymar bar weighs a tonne.

Cheers, Chris

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » February 7th, 2016, 8:44 am

Had win with the rear bar today and managed to fit it :biggrin1:

I still have a couple of things to do tomorrow like move the number plate and wire up the light.

I also cut these down from the old towbar and will fit them on each side to strengthen it up.

I am also cutting up the rear 1/4 panels to clear the rear bar and will use some rubber edging to finish them off once done.

Pretty happy with how it's turned out so far :biggrin1:

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”