My 1990 4 Runner

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Gatti
Here and there

Re: My new 4 Runner

Unread post by Gatti » August 25th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Today I have had a bit more of a fiddle around with my boost gauge set up.

I had the vacuum line coming out of the manifold from the point in the picture below. I used the T piece supplied with the gauge and plugged one end. This ended up being a bit too close to the intake pipe so I wanted to move it. This is where the gauge was showing 12 to 13 PSI.

I re plumbed the vacuum line as shown below, and the gauge now shows around 9.5 maximum which is where it should be.

I can't figure out the reason for different readings. Any ideas?

I also tried getting power for the gauge from the back of the das light dimmer and it worked, but as soon as I attached the dimmer switch back on it lost power??

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » August 28th, 2012, 12:34 am

Gatti wrote:Thought of that, but I was hoping there was something a bit easier to get to without ripping half the dash out.
Hey Gatti no need to pull dash appart, first you need a $5 to $10 test light from super-Cheap Auto's, i used rear window demister switch right next to the centre air vents, it illuminates when the headlights are switched on, just pry the switch out with a narrow scraper or something similar (i run 6 gauges & a Monster Tacho off mine) :thumb:

Then pull the plug off the switch, then attatch the alligator clip on your test light to a good earth (i clipped it to a small bolt on the metal bracket behind the ashtray which is attached to the transmission tunel) then with the IGN OFF switch on the headlights & probe the plug terminals till one of them lights up the test light & use that wire to illuminate your gauges.

No need to cut or strip the wire just use a piggy back clip that you sandwich your gauge wire onto it with & you just snap it shut with pliers (they are located in the same spot as the crimp on terminals in the electrical section at Super-cheap) a pack of 5 cost $4

Or if you dont have rear window demister use the same method with the lighter socket it also illuminates when headlights are switched on, or use the transmission selector face plate illumination light (P-R-N-D-3-2-1) if yours is an auto.

It's a piece of cake realy :D DIRTY DUCK
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » September 12th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Matt theres a few toyotas heading out to menia on saturday if your interested in coming for a run along the main track in there, nothing serious just a nice saturday drive probably my last before my next baby arrives in a few weeks, meeting at gate 8 on heathcoat rd 9-30am - 9-45am

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » September 13th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Nah, I am working on Saturday.

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » September 14th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Here's a few pics from the Eastern Creek 4x4 track day that my club organised.

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » December 6th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Some pics of some recent outings

Cox's River

Blacksmith Beach

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » February 21st, 2013, 2:34 pm

The 4 Runner developed a vibration when slowing down this week after a weekend around Newnes 4wd'ing

I took it to my mechanic and below is what he found!!

He has quoted me $800 to remove the diff, get it welded back on and refit. Does that seem reasonable?

Gatti
Here and there

Re: My 1990 4 Runner

Unread post by Gatti » February 21st, 2013, 4:57 pm

Do you guys reckon a welder would be able to weld it back on while the diff is still in the car?

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » February 23rd, 2013, 9:21 am

I took it to my local mechanic today and he re welded the bracket on and charged me $99 :)

Needless to say I wont be going near the bloke near my work ever again!

wickiwickiben
Been here a while

Unread post by wickiwickiben » February 26th, 2013, 6:48 pm

wow. did you hit anything hard or noticed anything strange when you were out on that 4x4 trip?

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » February 27th, 2013, 11:59 am

That's the strange thing, I didn't hit anything and the car drove there and back without an issue.

I drove the car to work on the Monday and nothing, parked it at home overnight and went to drive it the next day and the vibration appeared.

I think that the bracket may have just been holding on and the last run up my driveway was enough for it to completely come off.

Very strange though.....

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » June 6th, 2015, 4:04 pm

I haven't posted in this thread for a long time so I thought I'd update it.

Below is a couple of pics of how it looks now with an awning and High Lift Jack fitted.

I have also added some drawers and a caged divider in the back (the sub easily unplugs to make space when needed)

I am also after some opinions on how I have fitted my 33" spare under the rear today.

I started by removing one of the factory brackets, but kept one to keep the tyre away from the exhaust.

Then I wound up the new spare into position using the winch.

Now the issue I had was that fully inflated it would just rub a little on the pan hard bar, so I dropped the pressure to 20 PSI and then attached a ratchet strap and used it to squeeze the tyre against the rear of the tow bar to make it clear the pan hard.

The strap looks close to the exhaust in this pic but it has plenty of clearance.

Using the dropped tyre pressure and strap I now have this much clearance and if I bounce the rear of the car it doesn't hit the pan hard at all.

What do you guys think? I know I could get a rear bar with a tyre carrier but I'm too much of a tight arse! :)

Danbc303
Been here a while

Unread post by Danbc303 » June 30th, 2015, 12:02 am

Hey mate sweet looking rig! maybe having a slightly smaller spare tyre wouldn't be too bad a thing since you'd barely ever use it? Would a 32" fit without the need of a ratchet strap?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 30th, 2015, 12:56 pm

Danbc303 wrote:..... Would a 32" fit without the need of a ratchet strap?
Not a great idea Dan, unless you change ALL your tyres to 32's!! If you EVER hafta use the (smaller) spare, you can't safely run one 32" tyre when all the others on the vehicle are 33", especially if you need to use 4WD!! Running one different sized (rolling dia) tyre is likely to cause transfer case wind-up, or if the vehicle is in 2WD on the blacktop & the smaller wheel is fitted to the driving axle, it'll create diff issues; & handling issues if it's on a steer axle - simply because that smaller wheel will want to turn at a different speed to all the rest of your wheels!! And that wind-up/speed difference & the handling issues that result could mean breaking expensive driveline or diff/axle components or possibly even cause an even more expensive accident!! All of which is why running one different dia wheel on a drive or steer axle is illegal & not considered roadworthy, and I believe it's also a roadworthy issue if you carry a spare that isn't the same overall rolling dia as your road wheels! :eek:

If carrying a 32" instead of a 33 like your road tyres is your only choice, you'd probably be better not to carry a spare at all, and run the risks that will bring with it in off road situations, or the expense it may bring if you ever get a flat on the blacktop!! :urgh:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » July 27th, 2015, 9:51 am

Took the old girl out for the weekend and had a ball!

One thing that was a bit weird though was at low speed, low range crawling my temp gauge would go so low it wouldn't even register a temp?

At normal speeds it would come back up to normal.

Anyone else had this experience? The outside temp was 6 degrees.

Here's a pic

Last edited by Gatti on July 29th, 2015, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”