My 1990 4 Runner

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Gatti
Here and there

Re: My new 4 Runner

Unread post by Gatti » March 11th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Took the 4 Runner for a little run in the dirt today. Nothing hard as I only had a an hour spare.

The car is so much nicer on the highway than my last Hilux :)

Also at 100km/h in runs at 3200rpm in 4th, or 2700rpm in 5th. It has 33's on it, what gears would it have?

Here's a couple more pics of it.

Tiny bit dirty, need more time off work!!

Interior

Turbo timer, and CB Install

My favorite angle :)

dan dog
Been here a while

Unread post by dan dog » March 11th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Sweet looking runner ya got there. Don't see many as clean as this. Hope it treats you well.
The misses brought me a beer at the pub the other night. I said i love you. she said- is that you or the beer talking. i said thats me talking to my beer

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » March 12th, 2012, 11:23 am

[quote="Gatti"]Took the 4 Runner for a little run in the dirt today. Nothing hard as I only had a an hour spare.

The car is so much nicer on the highway than my last Hilux :)

Also at 100km/h in runs at 3200rpm in 4th, or 2700rpm in 5th. It has 33's on it, what gears would it have?

G'day Gatti,
NOT sure about your size, was your 4runner Factory Diesel or Petrol? My Surf was 3.0lt T/D & has 4.10:1 & the V6 4Runner ran 4.55:1, Theres a 4.30:1 which a mate of mine has in his 2.8lt diesel but your compliance plates will have it stamped on them that will be your size unless they have been swapped out, also some diff centres have a plate on them with ratio size.

have a looky through some of the posts in this section cause im pretty sure someones asked this Question ;)
Or use the Search Forums button on the right across from CONTROL PANEL, just type in subject & search, its alot easier than going through mega pages of posts :)

Aftermarket Temp & Pressure gauges are alot more accurate then factory ones & cheap insurance compaired to engine or box rebuild.

I run both factory & aftermarket Water Temp Gauges & the factory gauge only reads at a Quarter when the aftermarket is reading 82c so now i can rest easy without worrying over my coolant Temp & im about to fit a Low Coolant Level Sensor with light & alarm just to make sure. :D :D :D DUCK :D :D :D
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » March 25th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Took the kids bush camping yesterday, and got a bit of 4wd'ing in as well.

The car loves it, and it feels like it will go anywhere, which is building my confidence.

On the highway it eats up the k's, and rides beautifully and feels like it'd go forever :)

Also no sign of the overheating issue that a couple of people made out like it was only a matter of time earlier in this thread....

Here's a couple of pics

Bought home half the track on my side steps :)

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » March 26th, 2012, 1:44 am

G'day GATTI,
They are a nice ride & im glad to hear your happy with your new rig, Looks like a nice quiet spot to take the family camping, i cant wait to do the same but not for a while yet as im booked in for a total shoulder reconstruction in a few weeks & ive been advised not to drive for about 8 to 10 weeks after surgery, so no bush for a while. :(

As for what ERASER & RAVEN are questioning about your cooling system im not too sure but i think its the pic of your engine bay i cant see a fan shroud on your radiator, if theres no shroud you will experience overheating issues when crawling in lo 4x4 out bush, in slow traffic, when towing, especialy on hot days when aircons on.

In regards to the quarelling between you & RAVEN im curious! Why the falling out? i searched & went through your posts regarding your old HILUX & RAVEN was offering you good advice also youv posted on most of his threads, are you rival competitors, Was he mocking you or just sh#t stiring like in the old days.

After reading RAVENS build up thread i learnt that he has built a very capable RIG & isnt afraid to put his 4x4 capabilaties to the test & draw a crowd, thrill seeker, I feel like ive put my foot in POOH :urgh:

To RAVEN, sorry for the smackdown i was in a cranky mood & thought you were bullying GATTI & got myself involved like a twit, just found it frustrating the way you hounded GATTI with his PURCHASE, LIFT KIT, TYRE SIZES, ENGINEERING & why couldnt you point out why you think GATTI's cooling system needs attention? It was Peeing me off SO I WACKED YA !!! :D

Atleast your both getting out there amongst it in your rigs & havin fun, Unlike me, im in the process of fitting all new suspension, bushes, arms n rods, new pwr steering kit & bigger brakes onto my wifes VK COMMODORE BROCK MOCK before my operation so she has a car to drive while im out of action. (Wifey couldnt steer the rack n pinion as it was too heavy) "PEACE OUT" :D DUCK :D

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » March 26th, 2012, 6:26 pm

well just popping my head in for a catch up and boy do i find a good old laugh. Matt toy boy has hit the nail on the head with the cooling system,i was dragging it on with you so you did a little research and learned why you might have problems like your old one was having, that way you dont get a bum steer from people who think its this and think its that.

Toy as for me and Matt, well its always been banter unfortunatly never got a chance to head to head his love for me my car and my tuner, and vise versa. As you can see he followed ME into a 4wd so im really the one with the stalker.

As for my rig well yes i have built it from a simple little farm truck and im not afraid to use and abuse it whilst keeping it driving as nice as it can possibly be and looking as good as it can. i humbley accept you apology.

now for you Matt, be sure to go and get it engineered, last thing you need is a dudd knocked back insurance claim with a nearly built house a little family and a new business venture.................

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » March 27th, 2012, 1:08 pm

raven ute wrote:
Toy as for me and Matt, well its always been banter unfortunatly never got a chance to head to head his love for me my car and my tuner, and vise versa. As you can see he followed ME into a 4wd so im really the one with the stalker.
That's laughable :lol: The reality is you, your mates and your tuner didn't like my tuner so you all went out of your way to rubbish his work at any chance you got, so I found you all to be a total bunch of cockheads...

As for never having a chance for a head to head, I do remember deliberately lining up behind you and your bunch of internet hero mates at the drags, and not one of you said a word to me in the 3 hours I was there by myself, yet I get home that night and the ***** slinging had started about me and my car on the forums!!

One of the reasons got rid of the old car was I was over the modified car scene and some of the complete tossers that are in it, let's not bring all that crap over here too.

Who knows I might see you on a track someday through this forum and we'll probably get along fine, we both seem to be interested in the same things! :D

r2d2 sander
Been here a while

Unread post by r2d2 sander » March 27th, 2012, 2:20 pm

I have a 2.8 diesel and no fan shroud, but never experience overheating problem I must say, but have to add I don't do any beach work.

I did crawl up Mt Hotham (and everybody with a non-turbo knows how embarrassing that is) in first gear (and sometimes second ;-) ), but the thermometer did not move a mm.

Cheers

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » March 28th, 2012, 9:45 am

G'day r2d2

the radiator is kept cool by airflow as we all know but the key to getting that air flowing through the radiator is vaccume press which is produced by having a shroud to direct airflow through the radiator not before it (the gap between fan & radiator), without the shroud in place the fan will suck air from where ever is easier usualy from the sides inside the engine bay recirculating hot air & restricting the flow of cool fresh air from passing through the radiator, air doesnt freely pass through your radiator as its pushed away by the air-lock created in the closed off engine bay hence why we shouldnt stop half way through a deep water crossing as this allows the air press to escape through the radiator, engine bay air-lock fills with water & engine usually stalls.

its this same air-lock in the engine bay that makes it difficult for fresh air to pass freely through the radiator while vehicle is in momentum in much the same way water is is repelled from passing through the radiator whilst in momentum hence the reason why the need for a fan shroud, try & blow air into a bottle !!! or see how well your vaccume cleaner sucks with holes in the hose ??? air will pass through the least restrictive root of flow first.

the fan shroud seals the flow of air just like the vaccume pipe does :cool:

Maybe your temp gauge isnt functioning properly the way mine wasnt (it indicated good temp all the time even when boiling over) as i mentioned a few posts earlier. HOPE THIS HELPS TO UNDERSTAND the theory of air-flow !!! CHEERS !!!

:D DUCK :D

r2d2 sander
Been here a while

Unread post by r2d2 sander » March 28th, 2012, 10:09 pm

I know what the function of a fan shroud is, but I haven't noticed any difference, even measuring the coolant with a digital thermometer. You're right about temp gauge in the dash... can't be trusted!

Cheers

Alex

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » March 29th, 2012, 7:29 pm

raven ute wrote:wheeled this thing yet? or is it just your tar top warrior? hows that IFS going?
lmao how ironic............
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=128431
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » March 29th, 2012, 7:47 pm

tis isnt it, cant wait to do 110km/h on the tar top in the passangers seat with a beer in the hand, lucky the hardcore lux gets to keep the garage space

greatsoutherncowboy
Here and there

Unread post by greatsoutherncowboy » April 7th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Very nice looking rig mate. i just bought myself a runner 3 weeks ago but it's up to me to get it looking as tough as your beast as mines still standard.
You'll never never know if you never never go

deniall
Getting to know the place

Unread post by deniall » April 10th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Great looking Runner. I just bought one myself, it's not as tidy as yours but for the money it was a good buy.
'95 Toyota 4Runner..

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » April 11th, 2012, 10:00 am

Thanks guys.

My first attempt at some flex pics lol! The shocks were still on their hardest setting so there should be more in it :)

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”