My 1990 4 Runner

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Gatti
Here and there

My 1990 4 Runner

Unread post by Gatti » February 27th, 2012, 4:24 pm

After having a couple of niggly issues, and hating my NA 3 litre in my Hilux, I have grabbed this 4 Runner. Should be picking it up tomorrow arvo :D

Mods Include:
NEW PAINT
RECO 2.8 DIESEL
DENCO TURBO KIT
FITTED WITH RANCHO SHOCKS AND HAS 4" LIFT AND FITTED WITH PRO COMP SAFTEY BELTS ON THE REAR
BLACK SUNRAYSIA RIMS WITH NEAR NEW BF GOODRICH ALL TERRAIN TYRES
UHF RADIO
AFTER MARKET TURBO TIMER
NEW SAFARI SNORKEL
NEW ECB BULL BAR
NEW HELLA RALLYE 2000 SPOTLIGHTS MOUNTED TO BULLBAR
KICKER SOUND SYSTEM

Last edited by Gatti on February 21st, 2013, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dute
Here and there

Re: My new 4 Runner

Unread post by dute » February 27th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Very nice looking 4 runner I hope you enjoy getting it dirty . . . .

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » February 27th, 2012, 6:41 pm

I will mate. Can't wait to see what it's capable of :)

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » February 28th, 2012, 7:22 pm

seen that on ebay the other day http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1990-TOYOTA- ... 256cde4062, was considering buying it and doing a SAS on it, but didnt want to go through all the engineering headaches for it, are you going to get it engineered so it complies and can be legally insured ? as a family car you woudl want to make sure it was 100% road legal, also look into changing the diff ratios to match the tyres as you will find it a little slugish even when its unloaded ( tyres look like 33s so 4.55 ratios is what you want or even 4.88 but it might be a bit much for you )
Last edited by raven ute on February 28th, 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » February 28th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Maybe get a mod to move it into the general section as you've mistakenly put it in the hardcore trucks section.
When it starts to run hot use the search function to look up why. It should be pretty obvious.
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » February 28th, 2012, 8:28 pm

raven, I will have a look and see if the diff gears have been done. It goes a lot better than my old N/A 3 litre.

I am planning on getting it engineered to avoid any issues. I got it for a price I was happy with, and it saves me having to start from scratch on my old Hilux.

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » February 28th, 2012, 8:30 pm

If the mods want to move it they can. The only other sections in members build ups is Utes or tourers and it's not one of those either.

Maybe you can give me a hint as to why it might get hot? This is my first turbo diesel.

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » February 28th, 2012, 8:37 pm

you will have to remove that suspension to get it engineered and possibly drop it back on 31 inch tyres. noise test will have to be under i think its 93 db @ 3000 rpm ( mine JUST passed ) if you can still get it passed on 33s your speedo will have to be correct within 4%. as for over heating i think you should have a look into its cooling system setup, have a search on here you will find the answers your looking for

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » February 29th, 2012, 11:35 pm

G'day gatti, very clean ride you'v purchased :) but like ERASER said its not quite ready to be in the hardcore :( i would have liked to seen the buildup as it progressed into a hardcore truck if that is your plan in mind. ;)

I'm still hesitating about should i or shouldn't i post my MUNSTA buildup in this section, even though i'v done the whole V8 conversion myself & i'v kept a journal & documented most of my SURF buildup with a tone of pics to go, i had a good swim around the forum b4 i started my first post in order to find the most appropriate section to start off in, I came across the Model Specific Section>Toyota>Surf & started there. :confused:

Have yourself a looky in there you'l find a section on 4runners there tooo, & pretty much all the info required to answer any questions you may have in regard's to you'r ride, you can PM one of the MODERATORS to have you'r thread moved to the appropriate section if that is what you want to do. :eek:

Anyway welcome to the world of WHEELIN CHEERS !!! DUCK !!! :D :D :D
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » March 1st, 2012, 2:00 pm

Cheers mate. I have pm'd the mods and asked them to move the thread :)

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » March 1st, 2012, 5:05 pm

did you contact an engineer matt? did you do a search re the cooling system?

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » March 2nd, 2012, 7:59 am

Not yet. I am flat out with work at the moment.

I will look into the cooling system if it becomes an issue, which so far it hasn't been..

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » March 4th, 2012, 7:10 pm

wheeled this thing yet? or is it just your tar top warrior? hows that IFS going?

Gatti
Here and there

Unread post by Gatti » March 5th, 2012, 9:22 pm

raven ute wrote:wheeled this thing yet? or is it just your tar top warrior? hows that IFS going?
Like I said above, I have been flat out with my new business so hopefully I'll get out there in a couple of weeks.

The IFS will be fine for the type of wheeling I'll be doing taking my kids camping.

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » March 6th, 2012, 1:23 am

HEY GATTI,
You & your family will love getting out there in your new rig & dont worry about the IFS it'l get you through some serious terrain when time permits :waycool:

HEY RAVEN,
Sounds to me like your a taaaad jelous? Back Up!!! Shut Up!!! Seriously your a "FLOG" :gurn:

.........HAPPY WHEELIN GATTI........ :D :D :D DUCK :D :D :D
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”