Kyzooper's 80 series

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Blackened
Been here a while

Re: Kyzooper's 80 series

Unread post by Blackened » January 30th, 2012, 10:27 am

MJ80 wrote:
Mungrel wrote:lol yeah just keep fixin whatever breaks, part and parcel with project ownership eh.
I know where ya coming from though, its easy to get disheartened and ask yourself if its worth it.
It will be in the end :D
Absolutely, i used to ask myself this all the time and seriously considered selling up twice but you just gotta work out whatever pops up as best you can and press on because its a passion and i know i wouldn't be without it, the good and the bad. Keep the mods and the updates coming will follow this build.
Very true, I'm not buying/paying another mod until I break the next one. I've got to spend close to 4k on my gearbox converting over to an R150 which is going to be fun! (Not)

Very nice cruiser mate I've considered selling up for an 80 the last week or so but keep deciding to keep the lux. Stick with what you know and soon you'll crack out all the problems. :rolleyes:
My Shed
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/blackeneds-lux
1994 Toyota Hilux with a V8

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » January 30th, 2012, 12:13 pm

yeah mate theres no going back now me and the cruiser are in for the long haul.
92 HDJ80 Gturbo safari FMI 2" lift ICON 2.5 piggyback shocks, 3"XFORCE exhaust. GONE
97 HDJ80 40th Anniversary.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » February 3rd, 2012, 8:48 pm

just a couple of pics with the new roof rack on!!
1.png
Untitled.png
And a pic of one of the xr seats i got! now i just have to get my good buddy Sneeks(the welder) aroound to work out how to adjust the the seats or the rails or something??? to get them to fit into the the cruiser
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
92 HDJ80 Gturbo safari FMI 2" lift ICON 2.5 piggyback shocks, 3"XFORCE exhaust. GONE

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » February 10th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Well its off for a major service on monday the mechanic that fixed the turbo wants to check a few things over during the service aswell he thinks i may need the piston rings replaced, pretty expensive job from what i hear!!! and i think i may have an oil leak coming from the rear main aswell, nothing cheap on this rig.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » March 8th, 2012, 10:43 am

well! thats pretty much what i found when i pulled the interior and carpet out of the rear cargo area of the cruiser yesterday, A WELL!! muddy water in the rear quarter panels. And a leak some where in one of the sliding windows but throwing a bucket of water over the car reveals nuthing!
Anyway back to the well, got under the car and found the rubber cable entry grommets were not where they should be so water was splashing up into the quarters. So i started using a shamey to try soke up all the water and mud. long and annmoying process so i decided id crawl back under the car ans see if there is a drain plug or similar underneath.
After a face full of dry mud and dust i found a plug! WOOHOO!!! that made life easier. all clean again now and going to put the interior back in tonight and now that i know how easy it is to pull out i can run some cabling into the rear quarter panel and install a fused distribution block for fridge power, external lights and who know what else i can think of to put back there?!!
scored one of these off ebay
1811-Black-Power-Led-Line-Gallery.jpg
Hopefully i can win three more over the next couple of weeks so i can bolt them under the roof rack on either side. they are 15watts each so should give off enough light to pour myself a jack and coke without spilling it all over the esky .
i have a question though for anyone with a bit of auto elec knowledge. i need to know how to get the wiring up on to the roof rack from inside the cabin?? preferably without drilling a hole in the roof!!!
was planning on putting two lights either side an a couple of these facing bacwards on a three positiion switch so they double as reverse lights.
SM15W02.jpg
and going to get one of thes maybe to put in the top tailgate so when its up ive got a light back there!
18LEDcool.jpg
was going to run a 4 guage cable from the battey terminals, will it be big enough? i hope so!!
to a fuse block should come up alright i think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

TUF-35T
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TUF-35T » March 9th, 2012, 8:29 pm

hahaha i did the same in the rear quarters of my 80 heaps of muddy water i just ran a hose through it then dried it out and filled it with wd40 jst give it a spray every now and then

i also found a shifter a flat blade and a hand full of allen keys all rusted to within an inch of there lives funnily enough that mysterious rattle in the back stopped after i found them

turtle

harts
Been here a while

Unread post by harts » March 10th, 2012, 6:24 pm

you will find the water getting into the quaters is the rain coming through the grate on the back windows... the rain dribbles right onto it from the gutter! :rolleyes:

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » June 13th, 2012, 8:58 pm

well i dont seem to be able to keep the cruiser on the road long enough to have any fun with it, just one problem after another!! i drive down the highway for an hour, all good get off the highway temp goes way up!!! one mechanic says ive done another head other mechanic say i just need a bigger radiator and clutch fan!!! who to believe? thinking since the last owner obviosly neglected "my cruiser" maybe its time for a rebuild of the engine and anther 350,000kms out of the old girl!!! the mechanic that wants to put anew radiator in reckons that because the previous owner put alot of chem-weld through the engine it might clog up a new radiator too!
i just want my cruiser fixed so i can go and play it the mud!!!!
Anyone know a decent place to get my engine recoed/rebuilt/replaced at a reasonable price!!!!??? in melboure preferably!!!

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » August 30th, 2012, 6:40 pm

:sillywink: well apparently the cruiser isnt as bad as one mechanic made out and i should finally get her back on the weekend and can start some of the mods ive been wanting to start and finish for the last month!!!!!
im not going into the bullsh*t that has gone on in the last couple of months but lets just say that a certain mate is no longer on my christmas card list ater the dodgy job he did (apparently) fixing the head.
Any way ive made a list/s of the mods i want to do in the coming months/years:

finishing off my set of drawers
install the xr seats
making a simple overhead console for my uhf and some switches
a new custom centre console with twin drinkholders :sillywink: switches, usb outletls, electric window and mirror controlls, i am going to mount my maglight on the side of it aswell
got a set of speaker pods/map pockets out of a vr commodore for the front doors
headlight upgrade to the projector headlights i bought twelve months ago: DONE, well almost
get a compressor and install it in the rear quarter panel and run an air line to the tailgate annd the bull bar so i only have to carry a short lead to pump up tyres/ airbeds etc.
Diff, gearbox and tranfer breathers extende into the engine bay
cargo barrier that will be connected to my drawers and fold downflat with the top of the drawers if i wana sleep in the back (6foot4)cant sleep in the back unless i leave the tail gate open
upgrade brakes to post '93
get a winch bar for my winch
st of sliders as the stock steps are coming off as soon as it gets home
3 inch exhaust
run power to a fuse box in the rear quarter
clean up the wiring in the engine bay it looks like spagetti :eek: :eek: i think the previous owner did an unsuccessful wiring upgrade so i might try and sort that out while i install theprojector lights. im going to try and find some waterproof connector so if the boys in blue dont like my new lights it will be a bit easier to put the old back in.
replace the interior lights with leds and the lights in the enginebay im going to re-wire and but leds in there too.
hmm.......
thats about all for now im sure that list will get longer before it gets shorter but i gotta start somewhere!!!
Cheers
Last edited by kyzooper on October 12th, 2012, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » August 30th, 2012, 7:34 pm

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » October 11th, 2012, 9:00 am

New headlights
photo.JPG
photo1.JPG

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » October 11th, 2012, 9:05 am

Anyone know how to aim headlights properly i wouldnt have a clue where to start. i know were the adjusters are on the lights just dont know what height and angle they should be set to, if that makes sense.
Cheers

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » October 15th, 2012, 11:53 am

Well i got a bit done on the weekend!! Fuse box installed in rear quarter where "factory sub" used to be, just need to order the cable off ebay to wire it up, 6 b&s should be big enough. they are advertising it as 125A over 6metres. cleaned up some dodgy wiring under the dash put some blue leds inthe dash switches they are a little dull but i like it.
i will take some pics when i get home wish i had of taken a before pic. its big improvement, and i should have the engine bay wiring cleaned up in the next few days.
222.JPG
22.JPG
Came up alright and pretty rigid too. once i ve wired it if it starts flexing i might have to put a support in to keep it from moving .
Also got some sound deadening off ebay (cheap cheap) that i will line the rear quarters with if its good ill get more to line the doors aswell.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » October 15th, 2012, 3:53 pm

***** mate, I just read through your whole thread and you've had some dramas with your 80.
Hopefully you are at the end of them and can spend your money modifying it rather that repairing it.
With your list of mods it sounds like you are going take a while!

Cheers
Nick
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » October 15th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Don't think it is going to happen real quick, I've had the injectors recoed and dyno tuned and now it's smoken more and lossing oil pressure. Thinken about getting a new radiator. I'm putting about a litre of water day in it so it's no way near the end of the mechanical journey just yet!!! Saving the pennies for a new engine. Looking at importing a half cut 1hd-ft from Japan next year. Slowly the mods are coming along I scored a set of ipf 800 of eBay so I'll make up a wiring loom soon I got a lot of little jobs I can do myself that will keep me busy while it sits out the front

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”