Kyzooper's 80 series

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
kyzooper
Been here a while

Kyzooper's 80 series

Unread post by kyzooper » December 22nd, 2011, 5:23 pm

Well i bought my first 80 series. thought i got a great deal. car looks immaculate for 320,000kms. mechanic mate checked it out and gave me the go ahead(he'll be fixing anything the fucks up so he gets the final say!!!). traded in my 04 hilux for her it was pretty stock standard but only done 90,000kms so it was pretty much brand new.
its a hdj80 with 2inch lift, bull bar snorkel, dual batteries and uhf (but no ariel)all in all was pretty happy, got laid of from work, found a new job and had abit of play money left from the redundancy!!! thought i'll go another inch higher, 33's, get a second hand winch bar to mount my winch out of the hilux on, roof rack and new spotties, just the usual to get started.
IMG_0169[1].JPG
IMG_0171[1].JPG
thyen the **** hit the fan!!!!
checked the coolant after about two weeks found it only had water in the radiator, not that she was heating up or anything just thought i should keep an eye on the usual things. anyway took her done to my local toyota dealership, who were very helpful at taking my money! got the the cooling sytem flushed and refilled with their recommended coolant. when i picked it up later that afternoon i was told they found traces of oil in the water and believed that it maybe from previous work done on the car .
two days later she started overheating but not all the time it was abit wierd. i could drive for three hours on the highway all good, get 15 minutes from home temperature guage hits the red!!!
took it back to toyota they came out and had a look said maybe it was a air bubble in the cooling system and topped up the radiator with about two litres of coolant, it didnt help . next day overheating, pissing coolant, back to toyota!! it must be a loose hose( shouldnt you check these things before giving a customer back their car!!!!), thats the last time time ive been back to toyota after they said if that doesnt fix your problem it will rpobably be a thermostat!!
Still not fixed, to it to my mate the mechanic who changed the thermostat(genuine). FIXED!!!!!!! NOT!!!!!
Cracked head!!! so much for a great deal!!! with flushes and thermos and now a reco head there goes the play money!!!!

Next drama, the cruiser has an ugraded, dodgy, headlight loomrelays everywhere doubles of plugs, plugs taped together, but decent light output from both low and hi beams until it pitch black on a counrty road, no moon and a car comes towards you, dip the high beams! lights go out completely!!! awesome!!! took three attempts by the auto elec to fix and i think he may be dodgier that whoever put it in, in the first place!!! all fixed but now the light is like a couple of candles sitting on the front!!!

Well ive saved up a bit of cash again, and bought a set of sports lights projector lights off the net! thanks Mj80 for the website!! Mechanic mate books the cruiser in to have them installed by one of his mates that works on show cars, to install headlights and clean up the engine bay wiring, currentlylooks like a bowl of spaghetti. rings me the night before, and says sorry buddy but the auto elec doesnt have time your guna have to wait to the end of january!! YAY!! NOT!!
IMG_0286[1].JPG
extra cash now has to be spent on fixing the turbo, that is leaking oil, woo hoo.

so thats the fist entry to my build up! anyone that knows a good auto elec in the the western suburbs of melbourne, and some where i can get my turbo checked out. please let me know

cheers
So i got my self an aeriel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
92 HDJ80 Gturbo safari FMI 2" lift ICON 2.5 piggyback shocks, 3"XFORCE exhaust. GONE
97 HDJ80 40th Anniversary.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

kyzooper
Been here a while

Re: Kyzooper's 80 series

Unread post by kyzooper » December 22nd, 2011, 5:34 pm

so ive started building a set of drawers for the back out of connect-it ally from bunnings and going to put a ply top and drawers and side compartments in them and posibly if i can find the space a suband amp to be installed behind the back seat.
Untitled.png
got my christmas present sitting in the garage. sorry hunni the the forrester is gunna be parked out the front for a bit longer!!! hahahaha!! a new roof rack (arb style, ebay knock off) now i cant wait for xmas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
92 HDJ80 Gturbo safari FMI 2" lift ICON 2.5 piggyback shocks, 3"XFORCE exhaust. GONE

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

TUF-35T
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TUF-35T » December 22nd, 2011, 9:27 pm

welcome to my world mate eletrical in my 80 was a complete poo storm took me the best part of 6 months to get it all sorted out not long brought myself somr of those projector lights a few months ago although i like the look of them the ones i got are cheapo's so im not that impressed with them but will do a bit of tinkering see if i can get a bit more ooomph out of them.I also just got myself some narva ultima 225's to help out some

I have also been through the recent head gasket dramas with mine and it was poo i hope for your sake that its not that but looks like your off to a great start welcome to the club after owning a hilux previously aswell i will not ever be looking back
when it comes to the comfort stakes thats for sure

noticed that you have a 2 inch lift in already mate you should be able to fit 33's w/out going with more lift

happy kruzin
Turtle

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » December 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm

yeah 33s will fit under just dont have the coin after getting the the reco head. comfort wise i love the the cruiser. im 6 foot 4 not much room in a single cab hilux.
looking at getting a new set of coils soon the king springs seem to be sagging a bit. was thinking about going dobinsons or lovells.
cant wait to get my drawers done so i have somewhere to all my *****

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » January 19th, 2012, 7:28 am

well i got the roof rack on over christmas. i reckon it looks pretty god apart from a couple of scratchesit put on the roof when i was installing it.
dropped her off at Turbo engineering in thomastown yesterday so i am now eagerly waiting for a call to see where the oil is coming from. hopefully just turbo seals and not blown or in need of a rebuild!!!
will try add a couple of pics with the roof rack asap

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » January 19th, 2012, 7:47 am

Looks the goods.
Shame about the issues you've had with it and the toyota dealership.
Finding a good mechanic is difficult these days, so many are just parts fitters.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » January 19th, 2012, 7:59 am

it has been a bit of bad luck mate, but i bought it to be my "long term" project/daily drive/tourer so just gunna keep fixing the stuff that goes wrong,
slowly doing bits and pieces to personalize the old girl. picked a set of ba xr seats the other day should be a bit more comfy being 6foot4, just need to find a auto engineer to get an idea of what i need to do to install them properly.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

MJ80
Need to get out more

Unread post by MJ80 » January 19th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Keep at it mate, once you start personalizing it and making it your own you wont be able to stop, the seats sound like a good thing... if it makes you feel any better my turbo is due for an upgrade soon too.

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » January 19th, 2012, 7:38 pm

lol yeah just keep fixin whatever breaks, part and parcel with project ownership eh.
I know where ya coming from though, its easy to get disheartened and ask yourself if its worth it.
It will be in the end :D
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

TUF-35T
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TUF-35T » January 19th, 2012, 9:32 pm

keen to see how the xr seats fit mate ive been eyeing a set off aswell

MJ80
Need to get out more

Unread post by MJ80 » January 19th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Mungrel wrote:lol yeah just keep fixin whatever breaks, part and parcel with project ownership eh.
I know where ya coming from though, its easy to get disheartened and ask yourself if its worth it.
It will be in the end :D
Absolutely, i used to ask myself this all the time and seriously considered selling up twice but you just gotta work out whatever pops up as best you can and press on because its a passion and i know i wouldn't be without it, the good and the bad. Keep the mods and the updates coming will follow this build.

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » January 20th, 2012, 9:49 am

thanks guys, got some good news from turbo engineering this morning, turbo is fine just a kinked return hose not allowing the oil to drainback to the block, so he has ordered a new pipe from toyota woohoo, not gunna cost a fortune!!! might have a little left over cash to get the headlights put in!!!
hey MJ how did you wire up yours? do you have the leds daytime running lights? halo's and corner lamps as parkers outers as low beam and inners as high beams?

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

MJ80
Need to get out more

Unread post by MJ80 » January 20th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Good news

I just wired them normally so that parkers are the LEDs and the rings + parkers. low beam adds low beam and high beam is high beam. Day time running light thing is a bit of a wank imo ;)

oh and btw for your new coils go king.

TUF-35T
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TUF-35T » January 20th, 2012, 2:05 pm

i wired mine the same as you mj not interested in the daytime running thing

turtle

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » January 30th, 2012, 7:31 am

finally got off the beaten track on the weekend for a "fishing weekend" up at jamieson, met up with the boys down the end of axe track(begginers dirt road) on friday after work,then we moved campsites saturday up to fry's hut. we took the 4wd track in off the the howqua inlet rd i thnk it was called i check the maps when i get home. good little track for the first time having the cruiser off road, and she pasted with flying colors cant wait to get back up there
Last edited by kyzooper on January 30th, 2012, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”