'Sammy' - 80 cruiser NOW A UTE

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
safety_dave
Here and there

'Sammy' - 80 cruiser NOW A UTE

Unread post by safety_dave » September 14th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Hey, I have been lurking around for a while, posting every now and then on a few forums and I have finally decided to get involved and really get into the sport I love!!

I've had my Landcruiser for about 3 1/2 years now and mods have happened in spurts...

When I bought it in Feb 2008

The long list of mods :roll:
sagged 2inch lift
30 inch all terrains
turbo timer
alloy bull bar

It has been through a few stages now, and has gone through a bit of an evolution

So basically where the car was
4 inch Tough Dog lift
35 Pro-comp extreme M/T
Hi-Flowed CT26
Modified Injector pump
Dual Optimas
Alpine head unit
Sound system- splits, amp and 10 inch sub
Turbo timer
Wrx bucket seats
Custom rear bar
3inch mandrel exhaust no mufflers
4.88 diffs
Rear draws
Part time fitted
60 series free wheeling hubs
Extended spline on rear driveshaft
Safari snorkel
Removed air- con compressor, heat exchanger and piping

Sorry still working out formatting! Having to stuff around with picture resizing!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by safety_dave on November 11th, 2013, 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

safety_dave
Here and there

Re: 'Sammy' the 80 series landcruiser, building up to compet

Unread post by safety_dave » September 14th, 2011, 8:05 pm

A few other bits and pieces

This was where sammy was until I found this, around the panhard and the steering box was pretty badly cracked! So started pulling apart the front of the car, going to do a few other bits and pieces at the same time :P

Last edited by safety_dave on September 15th, 2011, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harts
Been here a while

Unread post by harts » September 15th, 2011, 2:03 pm

nice looking rig mate!

Just wondering how hard was the seat swap? What model/year did the seats come out of and how comfortable are they for a tall/medium build kind of guy? Enough headroom?

Sorry for all the questions i'm just trying to find a decent (read comfortable) seat for long distance travel.

safety_dave
Here and there

Unread post by safety_dave » September 15th, 2011, 7:46 pm

harts wrote:nice looking rig mate!

Just wondering how hard was the seat swap? What model/year did the seats come out of and how comfortable are they for a tall/medium build kind of guy? Enough headroom?

Sorry for all the questions i'm just trying to find a decent (read comfortable) seat for long distance travel.
MATE!!! I would recommend NOT doing a wrx seat swap!!!!!!!!! They are 05 seats it was a massive PITA, I had to make up a sub frame for them to fit the landcruiser rails. One of my mates has put in racing seats (cant remember what brand but they werent cheapies) and he said they were basically bolt up!

I about 6'1 and 80 kilos so probs around the same build. They are amazing!!! Would be one of the first things i would do. I used to be uncomfortable for drives longer than 45 mins now i can drive for 2.5 hrs without a problem :D :D Yeah there is plenty of headroom.

Ill put some pics up of how i did the sub frame, definitely look into alternatives though!!

safety_dave
Here and there

Unread post by safety_dave » September 15th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Here are some pictures of the rear bar i have built.
Just want to let you know it is not the finished product, I don't have any pictures on my computer yet :D

Very happy with it considering it was the first time I have used my jd bender :D
Oh and also have larger rated eyes than that on it now!!

safety_dave
Here and there

Unread post by safety_dave » October 2nd, 2011, 7:32 pm

Ok I have been putting a few hours here and there into getting the cruiser ready for the long weekend and I am now at the stage of working out the length of the control arm mount and cutting the RHS for it.

So I have question what length should I make it? Standard length of the mount from the chassis to the panhard bolt is approximately 120mm. The angle of the panahard is...
IMG_0945.jpg
Now i know that the straighter a control arm is the more flex you get, and I also know that the limitation in front flex is through the binding of the bushes on the control arm, so is it worth dropping it much further than standard to get a flatter panhard?? Something like this ...
IMG_0946.jpg
which makes the length of the mount approx. 200mm

Help would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks!!

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » October 2nd, 2011, 7:59 pm

Nice build, sorry can't help with your control arm but interested to know what you think of the pro comps :)

Cheers
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Sixty
Been here a while

Unread post by Sixty » October 2nd, 2011, 8:14 pm

hey mate, where did u get the rated eye loop recovery points from? having trouble finding some?

safety_dave
Here and there

Unread post by safety_dave » October 2nd, 2011, 10:20 pm

stretch4x4 wrote:Nice build, sorry can't help with your control arm but interested to know what you think of the pro comps :)
Honestly no idea yet! I am quite impressed by them on-road, very quiet and handle well. Have only taken them out once, they seem like a good comprise! They didnt clear to well, although the mud up at warbuton can be pretty sticky! Time will tell though!
They are really an in-between tyre, bought them so that i build up my skills before i go crazy and buy some 37 treps :P
Sixty wrote:hey mate, where did u get the rated eye loop recovery points from? having trouble finding some?
I bought them from a safety equipment store. Not sure where you are from, but I got mine from a place in Bayswater (Melbourne). Cant remember how much they were although they were ALOT cheaper than getting them from a 4wd store!!

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » October 2nd, 2011, 10:46 pm

Cool will be keen to see what you think, I am looking for something a bit different that can still keep up with a mud tyre.
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

safety_dave
Here and there

Unread post by safety_dave » October 9th, 2011, 12:17 pm

I am going to make the panhard mount so that it is parallel with where the steering arm is at the moment. I have taken all of the measurements, just need to make time to do it! Been working too much overtime lately :roll:
Then the plan is to do a flip arm and hi-steer and readjust the panhard mount then :D I have a fair bit to do before the long weekend so my priority now is to get it on the road!!

So in the past couple weeks.
I have finally put the wrx seats in properly!!

picture of the modified landcruiser rails

I have finished up the sub box

A mate gave me his old set of control arms with rubber bushes. This will help with my flex :D or lack of :P

Made up some decent sway bar spacers

Welded up all of the cracks in the chassis fitted new crush tubes and weld on a fish plate to the outside of the chassis rail

Also have taken some finished pictures of my rear bar :D The light is mounted yet. Going to mount one on the other side as well hopefully will have it done before the long weekend :D

safety_dave
Here and there

Re: 'Sammy' the 80 series landcruiser

Unread post by safety_dave » November 1st, 2011, 11:52 am

well it was a busy 2 weeks leading up to the long weekend!! had it finished thursday night so luckily i could give it a test drive to work :D AND......

Everything was perfect :D it handles exactly as it used to :D Very VERY happy with it considering it was my first attempt at a control arm and plating the chassis :D
And wow i can now see what the more experienced mean when they say welding on the floor or on a bench is nothing, the real pro's can still lay a perfect bead up side down and out of position!!

It was such a massive learning curve!! measure twice cut once LOL! I was a bit nervous because i didnt do this before i cut out the old mount, i had to do my best finding 80 series at parking lots and measuring there panhard mounts to get the right measurement :P

Anyway enough talking here are some pictures let me know what you think!

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » November 1st, 2011, 12:58 pm

wowsers, lot of work!
Nice job :thumb:
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

safety_dave
Here and there

Unread post by safety_dave » November 2nd, 2011, 8:50 am

Mungrel wrote:wowsers, lot of work!
Nice job :thumb:
HAHA yep! was a lot more than i had anticipated!! So glad that I have a daily now!!

safety_dave
Here and there

Re: 'Sammy' - 80 cruiser NOW A UTE

Unread post by safety_dave » November 11th, 2013, 4:57 pm

VERY EXCITED!!!
I have spoken to the engineer in regards to chopping this into a styleside ute!!! I chopped the roof off last saturday!!

Anyway car has progressed a bit since the last update.

I now run
- 36 pedes,
- A tight tube bar
- 6hp high mount with free spool and gp brakeshaft
- Spartan rear locker
- 3 inch ridepro lift

Plans in the near future
- Styleside ute
- bobbed rear
- 6 point cage
- rear 9.5 inch landcruiser diff in front

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”