Willys Pickup

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Re: Willys Pickup

Unread post by Gojeep » October 9th, 2017, 9:41 am

edz wrote:Tinker Master at work ... Love it .
Ha ha yes, just got to keep tinkering until it is right. :)
Cheers, Marcus

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » October 15th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Little by little I'm getting there.

I am getting rid of the 1/4 vent windows and going to one piece glass. It means that the door check bracket has to be removed as can't run that style anymore. I'll have to come up with something else like a simple strap that the CJ Jeeps have.

To fill all the spot weld holes I just use a thick piece of copper under the hole and weld it shut with the mig. The oval hole I have cut a patch for.

All the holes gone. Will grind them down to a razor blade thickness above the parent metal. Then flap disc to flush followed by a strip disc.

Hammer dollied the weld area flat and all done.

Out of the four doors I had, only one of the window channels needs replacing. I'll be using the same channels that ran down the latch end of the doors at both ends now. They are left and right so need one of each in each door.

Fortunately I only had to fold up the channel and the mounts were still alright.

The channel will sit inside the door where shown by the holes drilled. It will sit at the same height as the latch end of the door. Also note that 5mm-3/16" spacer was added to the mounts to space it out to line up under the window frame correctly and not interfere with the hinge reinforcements.

Just showing on a scrap door the curved piece in the corner, as well as the piece holding the inner and outsides together, that has to be removed.
Cheers, Marcus

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » October 15th, 2017, 6:13 pm

The latch end of the door channel alignment was first checked to make sure it was a straight line from the window frame down all the way inside the door channel. Used the old 1/4 vent channel inside the other one to check, but also found a string line worked well. Glass does not bend so needs to be inline. The factory holes were a bit off so I welded them shut and moved them over and then copied that over to the hinge side of the door.

I bought two 2400mm-96" lengths of flexible window channel the same as stock. They are cloth covered with the bristles on the sides.

Can see the back of the channel is segmented allowing you to bend it around the corners.

The channel inside is made from aluminium.

Can see how it will come up out of the new position at the front of the door.

To help it bend around the corners I found a carpenter's pencil worked well. I secured the channel the same as stock with some small counter sink screws.

I cut some cardboard roughly into shape and then marked around the inside edge of the window channel. The added the depth of the channel, 10mm-3/8", to that mark with some dividers.

Can see how it sits inside the channel. I made it go inside the door to add some stability to the front edge when down.

The bottom of the template is level with the top of the door card recess.

I was happy to see that it cleared the door handle linkages. I will make templates from MDF next using the cardboard one to scribe around.
Cheers, Marcus

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » October 22nd, 2017, 6:20 pm

Bought a universal electric window kit. I went with the motor off around the side rather than fitted directly to the bottom of the guide rail to give me more mounting options.

Before committing to cutting out my final window template, I wanted to make sure it went into the door deep enough. You need a minimum of 38mm-1.5" below the window sill to make sure it won't foul when the window is fully up. I made it 50mm-2" to give me a bit of room.

I thought the best place in height would be that the mounting bracket would sit directly over the ridge on the inner panel. Would be more strength there and the bolts heads would sit inside the ridge making them near flush so the door card would not bulge over them.

Still enough room for the motor to be off the bottom of the door. The motor is normally faced toward the hinges.

Transferring the cardboard template over to some MDF bracing board that was 5mm-3/16" thick. I choose this thickness as was the same as the stock glass that was in there. Can also see the 1/2" I added extra to the bottom. Also made sure the front and back edges were square to each other.

The best place to centre the guide rail of the electric window system is at the balance point. This would be the middle if top and bottom, plus both sides were parallel to each other, but not the case with one piece windows. So I found the point by balancing it over a round pencil and marked the spot. Primitive but effective.

No trimming was needed and fitted first go. The balance point of the template was marked from top to bottom so I could workout where the the electric window needed to be fitted.

No binding as it went down either. I could also mark the door where the balance line was at different points. It must remain exactly parallel to the window channels on each side though.

To know what the distance from the mount to the glass needed to be, I measured from inside the panel to the side of the template close to where the bolts would go. Did the same for the bottom mount.

This is flipped around to show how much needs to be trimmed off the top to fit inside the door and have the mount on the ridge. Balance point line on the template tells me where to mount the guide rail left to right inside the door. I had it lined up exactly in the middle of the left and right glass clamps.

The ruler inside the clamps for the glass gives me where to measure too from the inside panel to the glass. It measured 38mm and I only needed 32mm. So I flatted the mounting bracket enough to loose the 6mm extra.

The two mounting bolts are now holding it in place. I made sure the guide rail was parallel to the window channel to stop any binding. Also put a straight edge across the template to make sure it stayed flat as it went up and down to check the mounting position was right depth wise. Our American Akita doing a photo bomb!

The bottom mount had to be flatten some as well as wanted it to sit back a bit from the panel face. You can make out the bolt I will use also to support the motor itself.

A simple bracket with a little joggle in it secures the bottom of the guide rail. Made up a Z bracket for the motor to keep it supported and off the door skins. Could have also bolted with a spacer directly through the inner panel, but didn't want the thick bolt head to stick out.
Cheers, Marcus

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » October 30th, 2017, 9:16 am

I wanted the window to stop when the top edge was flush with the window sill. The one at the bottom of the track/rail was too low.

Before removing it I marked where I wanted it to stop plus a few millimetres for the rubber stop compression. I prefer this way than the common bolt as wont damage the nylon guide and is not harsh when it reaches it.

Next up is the window felt that goes on the window sill for the outside of the glass. Most I see just run it straight into the corners, but thought I would try and bend it to suit the radius instead.

Just using things I had in the washer draw, I made up this little jig. The felt is the same as used in the window channel and is attached to cloth that is clamped into a steel backing with wire rod inside the edges.

Just drew the window sill outline onto the cardboard template I had used for the window.

Was a bit fiddly passing it through back and forth and also had to keep straightening the rest of it. Make sure the wire can come out the end as it needs to go somewhere as you shrink the inside radius.

I got most the the second bend done as well before cutting it with a little extra spare.

Just about there now and will cut it with tin snips after marking it on the angle it needs.

Can see how it follows the radius around.

If I had just gone straight ahead you would see it disappear leaving a gap looking from the outside.

I used 1/8" rivets to hold it in place. I want all the holes in place before it gets painted so why I have already installed it, even though it has to be removed again.

A pillar corner from the outside.

Same material for the guide the whole way around now. I found it also supported and guided the glass better on the front edge as it was going up than before.
Cheers, Marcus

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » November 6th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Now remember that I want the whole of the interior to look like it was from the donor Grand Cherokee year of 2008. I don't want bits and pieces from different eras if possible, but to be a cohesive design. Unfortunately there is no way the donor door cards are going to work so will do my best to use parts from it

Want to start with the interior door handles. They are plastic welded in with 8 melted over studs. The door card even has a relay and ECU box for the mirror, central locking and window controls. On the other drivers side card also for seat position memory! I'll be fitting all that as well later on.

Got the drivers side handle free using a spot weld cutter type grind drill bit in a thread tap wrench handle. My idea is to mount this to face of the inside steel panel of the door rather than the card itself.

So to mount this I will remove all the ridges on the back. They are not needed anyway as the steel door panel is stronger than the plastic door card it was on.

To clear the window I need to shorten the link arm. Works out well as this setup gave to much travel to match the bearclaw release lever.

Lever shortened and redrilled for the link. I did have to swap the lock link piece to the other side though so it could pivot more.

I had hoped to mount the handle behind the window guide track so the link rod didn't have to pass by it. The height gave a straighter pull to the release lever too, but unfortunately the clamps that hold the window to the lifting carriage got in the way.

Twisting around with the handle nearer the lock was awkward so moved it closer to the hinge. I didn't what to cut through the pressed ribbing as it is important to keep the area near the hinges stiff.
Cheers, Marcus

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » November 6th, 2017, 8:14 pm

This was the only place it could go in the end and still be comfortable to use.

The handle fits right in without interfering with the window

The rod is pretty long so I use thicker gauge and then just ground the ends down to fit into the link locks. I had to step it inwards from the handle arm so it could go between the window guide track and the inner panel. Did have to remove one of the old armrest mounts so it could pass by. I tried a big step up vertically as well in the rod first, but there was too much flex with the extra bends.

Fitted into the lock release lever. Same one that the outside handle button connects too.

Can see the step to make it go close to the inner panel to get past the track.

Another bit done that took longer than it should, but that often happens.

I felt it still needed a little more refinement. It worked fine but you barely operated the handle and it would release the door. So rather than move the link even closer to the pivot point of the handle, I thought it would be best if I increased the length of the release lever at the lock end. Tried a couple of different lengths and found 40mm-1.5" longer worked the best. Now it has normal range of movement at the handle plus it reduced the angle of the link between the two ends. If you extend the release lever at the lock to too long, it increases the effort on the door button to release from the outside.
Cheers, Marcus

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » November 25th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Well something is missing!

What is it doing out there?

I had put the cab over to one side with the camper behind it and suddenly it looked like I'd done a mock up!

If you squint it looks like an good expedition vehicle.

This is what took the cabs place. This is Christos's Ratrod project that he has built from a 1948 Willys Truck cab with a 1950-53 front clip. 2wd with a Holden independent front end. The easy fun part of a 4" roof chop has been half done by a panel shop. Mainly just bady tacked together at this stage!

Very nice blown mouse motor.

Well less than 2 weeks of afternoons later, the Ratrod is finished from my work perspective, so will be back on this build again next week. :)

The write up has just been finished on the Ratrod too.

http://ratrod.willyshotrod.com/
Cheers, Marcus

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » November 26th, 2017, 9:24 pm

I still enjoy all updates. Your doors are awesome. Getting a door mechanism to work in a "normal" car can be a massive pain. Getting your doors to work is just an awesome job.

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » November 28th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Many thanks mate for still being with this build all these years! Big change here since the revamp and looks like you can no longer edit old posts! Glad I changed all the picture URL's to my new site just in time then otherwise this thread would have stopped.
Cheers, Marcus

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 28th, 2017, 1:30 pm

There's a lot of us still avidly watching here, I'm sure this thread is the first place a lot of us go whenever we logon! :thumb:

And I guess we'll all be discovering some of the 'undocumented features' the last upgrade brought with it as time progresses too!! As if we didn't get enough grief from the photobucket hostage situation!! Further to that tho, if you have troubles with any of your older posts that still need edits for any reason, drop me a PM & I'll see what I can do - I can still edit those older posts, & I may be able to reset things so you can edit your own old posts too - altho that might be a board wide/all users change that might need clearing with the owners first. :-(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » November 28th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Many thanks Peter. When I had to change all the posts recently on other forums that did not have the edit function, they made me admin while I did it to save them doing all the work. :D Hopefully it wont be needed.
Cheers, Marcus

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » November 29th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Yep lots of followers that regularly log in to the build .. The only reason Ive kept action account for the past number of years .. Have you found a suitable stable mate for Mrs Gojeep yet ? .. Loving your work Marcus .
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » November 30th, 2017, 8:27 am

edz wrote:
November 29th, 2017, 9:18 pm
Yep lots of followers that regularly log in to the build .. The only reason Ive kept action account for the past number of years .. Have you found a suitable stable mate for Mrs Gojeep yet ? .. Loving your work Marcus .
Good to hear. :)

Got the front clip for Lisa's build but keeping an eye out for a 37-41 Sedan to convert now for the rest of it. No rush but would buy a good priced one before I need it.
Cheers, Marcus

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » November 30th, 2017, 4:33 pm

I think there is a few of us that come to read this thread, I know I do.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”