Piggy the 1985 4Runner Build

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
geoffo
Here and there

Re: Piggy the 1985 4Runner Build

Unread post by geoffo » January 26th, 2014, 7:26 pm

What colour you painting the dash champ

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 27th, 2014, 3:42 pm

I quite like the pink....

Nah it will be black probably but leave the hood over the ipad brown so it matches with the rest of the dash black/brown mix.

Trying to decide if I am going to do a textured finish etc but that will have to wait as away for a week now on a job.

Got it sanded back today and there are still a few pin holes left to fill so have a few more layers to do yet!

It will have to wait till I get back now though!
Piggy - 1985 4Runner Toy
Muddy - HJ47 Project
Shrek - 1998 GU 4.5 Pet Man Tourer

geoffo
Here and there

Unread post by geoffo » January 27th, 2014, 5:34 pm

Use high fill primer. It'll fill the pin holes and any small imperfections. .. when I finally make it oved your side of the country I wanna see tbis thing in the flesh

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » January 27th, 2014, 6:39 pm

wow. i put a post up the other day but it disappeared.....shitty 3G in the country LOL.
amazing work there man, looking forward to see it finished
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Coco7
Been here a while

Unread post by Coco7 » January 30th, 2014, 11:07 am

Its a bummer that you had to leave for work. I wouldve loved to see it finished and painted up :)

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » February 8th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Thanks guys, yeah having to go to work sucks!

I got to work on the dash yesterday and today and have just gone through a whole sand, body fill, sand, filler primer, sand, epoxy, sand, routine over and over until I am happy with it... Its still not perfect but I am happy enough. Seriously though this has been a tonne of time and work to get good so if your keen to do yourself count on hours of prep work

First I got the ipad lined up and cut out the hole for the charging cable.

Now the plan was to spray with a vinyl paint so it kept some flex in it. But for some reason the vinyl paint discolours pretty bad. Now whats wierd is its picking up patterns that are several layers down below the primer/bodyfiller/epoxy etc so a bit annoyed as I can't see a reason for this... sorry about crappy phone picture but you can see the original crack line in the original vinyl showing through..

So I sprayed over with some normal paint, and it came out pretty good!

Had some left over speaker box covering stuff from the roof console which I cut and stuck to fit the ipad slot just to finish it off.
Piggy - 1985 4Runner Toy
Muddy - HJ47 Project

Coco7
Been here a while

Unread post by Coco7 » February 8th, 2014, 8:23 pm

That looks neat as mate. Me personally i would paint the brown to black. Just looks a little off. But i like the handy work you have done. Cant wait to see it in the car. Will look nice.

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » February 8th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Yeah I'm not 100% on the brown but trying to tie it in with the rest of the dash which is black brown mix.. Going to sit it back in the car tomorrow and see what it looks like before I bolt it all back. May still go all black but its a fair bit more work and not sure I can be bothered! See how we go..
Piggy - 1985 4Runner Toy
Muddy - HJ47 Project

psyolent
Been here a while

Unread post by psyolent » February 9th, 2014, 6:58 am

that looks awesome mate well done!!!!!!!
My RN105 5 Litre Hilux

Coco7
Been here a while

Unread post by Coco7 » February 9th, 2014, 7:58 am

Haha yea i understand about doing more work lol. as much as it would suck to do more work, i reckon you wont regret making the whole dash black. It will look modern and nice. Keep it up bud, i like this build :)

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » February 11th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Went to put dash on Sunday but found the air vent hole was not quite big enough, so gave it a tweak with a knife and I swear it was like pulling a thread on a shirt...it just kept getting worse, with fiberglass cloth lifting and splitting the more I messed with it. (well not that bad but felt like it!)

Luckily its only round the air vent so i figured to just cut of the loose bits and cover with an epoxy mix to bed it down, wait till it dried sand and fill then paint and it wall all be good...

But I mixed the epoxy to light on the hardener didn't I. Put the bad batch epoxy coat on Sunday morning...its still tacky this evening 3 days later but at least it is slowly slowly going off......ah the waiting game.

Piggy - 1985 4Runner Toy
Muddy - HJ47 Project

Coco7
Been here a while

Unread post by Coco7 » February 11th, 2014, 8:49 pm

That sucks man. Gotta love jobs like that lol.

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » February 25th, 2014, 9:36 am

Glad I did though as I took the chance to do a few imperfections that you prob wouldn't notice but I knew where there...

Where the gauges are mounted means I had to cut a bit more plastic away so they would let the dash pad fit back in...

Also decided you were right Coco7 and painted the rest of the top half of the dash black, thne put it all back together

iPad in

iPad out

I had thought I would need to take the hood thing off to get the ipad out put now the felt is there it lets it slide out from the bottom, takes a bit of effort so confident it is not going anywhere over bumps etc....if it does I will just add a catch mech at the base to hold it back.

I am thinking some white gauge dials for the Tach and Speedo would look pretty good and finish it off nicely!
Piggy - 1985 4Runner Toy
Muddy - HJ47 Project

Coco7
Been here a while

Unread post by Coco7 » February 26th, 2014, 8:32 am

Mate that looks pretty dam good now. Glad u went with all black!! This beast is looking well set up

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » March 11th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Coco7 wrote:Mate that looks pretty dam good now. Glad u went with all black!! This beast is looking well set up
Yeah me too, it looks great black, and the lower half (Glove box etc) still look good in Brown so happy at the min.

Well still broke and had some time on my hands this week....

So went for a Satoshi type grille mod... (I say type as not sure if I will put 'Toyota' letters on...)

Old grille is quite restrictive from the look...some quick measure and calcs tell me that about 68% of the area is blocked by the grille fins and supports... which has got to reduce air flow right? (I was just looking for a reason to do this)

So I cut them out..

Left some fairly obvious holes so bit of tape on the outside and lay some glassfiber tape on the inside

Wet with epoxy and all cured and ready for body filler.

Bogged up

then the usual sand spray fill sand spray fill sand spray fill....

Bit of black paint and a $30 grille mesh from Supercheap cut to size...

I recon that it only accounts for 5% coverage with this mesh so that a fairly large difference on the airflow (Still try to justify this with reason!)

Will finish off tomorrow and decide if I am badging it or not...?
Piggy - 1985 4Runner Toy
Muddy - HJ47 Project

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”