Piggy the 1985 4Runner Build

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Faolan
Been here a while

Piggy the 1985 4Runner Build

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Hi,

Here is my build to date of my 1985 4runner which I bought in June 2010.

I will keep updating with photos etc when I do something to it but to start off I will let you know how it came about and what I see the end goal is.

So in June 2010 I migrated from the UK to the Sunshine Coast. About a month or so before hand I had asked my brother in Law over here to keep an eye out for a Hilux or something similar and he found a 4runner for sale at a wreckers for $1500 and sent me a text with this pic....

...so i bought it...

First off was to get it a road worthy and a good service including repacking bearings etc which we did.

Once that was done its first job was to drive My wife and I down to Sydney and pick up our two dogs that were in quarantine down there and drive us all back up.

That was a trip and a half, the weak ass 2.4 chugging a way, no radio, water coming in from all sorts of places.......The runner is now affectionately known as Pigbitch (Or Piggy) as that's what we found we needed to shout to get it to start... and go up hills, and stop.

Once back up to the Sunshine coast and settled in I then began the build up proper. Throughout this my Bro in Law is providing the Tech know-how.

The Aim is to build Piggy in to a Trails/Beach truck that will go pretty much anywhere with 4 adults in and be able to be self sufficient for 3-4 days camping (Water/Power...etc)
Last edited by Faolan on October 19th, 2012, 2:54 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Faolan
Been here a while

Re: Piggy the 1985 4Runner Build

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 2:05 pm

So this was work just starting on Piggy, the new shocks and steering damper have just been put on...
ImageImageImageImage

Apparantly Piggy has spent most of its life on a Macadamia Farm and was covered inside and out in thick red dirt....

ImageImageImageImageImage

It was bloody everywhere and the interior was so stinky that I ended up just ripping out the carpets, door cards, seats and getting in there with a Gerni......3 times....and a shed load of degreaser cans....

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 2:18 pm

So a common prob is the rear window not working properly.... Quick fix was to wire in a new switch after I took out the centre console.

This worked for a few days but then died too.... So after a bit of digging on here, yotatech, etc and getting a real helpfull email from a fella at partsvault pointing me in the direction of Farnells in Sydney I was able to order 4 new relays for about 10 Bucks (order code 1387318) and solder them in to the relay box that Toyota want $500+ for... It all worked fine when I put it back in and I remounted the original switch from the console up on to the dash out of harms way and easier to reach from in and out of the vehicle (I also did the soldering on the board to overide the saftey switch etc so I don't have to have keys in ignition to open/close rear window from front of car.

ImageImage

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Side steps pulled off which was easy and stripes removed whcih wasn't! Just had to pick and pick away till my thumbs bled..well not quite but felt like it

Also petrol cap cover hinges were rusted through so took that off as well.

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 2:34 pm

As the 3Y block was on its last leggs

We figured it was a good time to put in a VN series 2 V6.... Bought a Marks adaptor for the standard gear box (Which might have been a mistake as would have been good time to upgrade the gearbox as well but we shall see if I wreck any boxes..)

ImageImage

OMG what a difference it is an absolute ball to drive now....

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Next was to have a go at taking off the roof as aim to build a soft top for it.

Then for $600ish had a 2.5 Mandrel bent exhaust put on after I cut off the back bumper and removed the tow bar (Which some one is welcome to if they want it...) and removed the spare wheel.
Also a 2" Body lift was put in with all the body rubbers being replaced as they were trashed too

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Faolan on January 9th, 2011, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Test fit of a 33x12.5x15....sweeeeet

Oh also I had sanded down the crap around where the stripes were on the side and sprayed over with primer any bare metal bits

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 2:48 pm

I pulled out the remains of the Aircon unit so the engine management comp could get tucked up out the way and then added a standard vent/pipe thing so the fan could still work (Also replased the resistor in the fan as it was either off or on full bore)

ImageImage

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 3:09 pm

My Dad is over from the UK for Christmas and we went to Fraser for a few days. Its been good having an extra pair of hands for a couple of week!

So in prep we mounted an Oil pressure guage and a water temp guage....

Retained the housing and the back light button and left space for another guage....probably voltmeter or a air pressure for the endless air system as I have put on a reconditioned aircon compressor in preperation for it.

Oil pressure was easy as, just an adaptor, some plumbing tape and a spanner.....

The Water temp was a nother story.....

Over the Christmas/Newyears break I have been running around to try and find a drill bit and tap+Die that is big enough fo the sensor so I can drill in just below the thermostat housing and drop it in..... However could I find one....

Ended up speaking to a fella in Supercheap in Noosa who told me a bodge solution was to drop it in between a hose clamp and seal around with gasket silicon before retightning.....I was to say the least a bit sceptical However

ImageImage

And its worked a treat...! Its been two weeks now and three days of them on Fraser... not a drop of coolant has come out! Now I'm not suggesting it will stay this way but I'm surprised by how well its worked!

Oil sits at 62 psi and water sits at 92 degrees, neither move at all so the electric fan is doing its job for the temp!
Last edited by Faolan on August 17th, 2011, 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Test fit of the front Waeco Fridge (Powered esky really as its not the compressor one)

Last edited by Faolan on January 9th, 2011, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 3:15 pm

33s going on woo hoo!!

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 3:37 pm

So Dad and I started making some door pannels, cut out 3mm board and then added vinal with spray mount. Not happy with it as the vinal just peels off at the edges (Its wrapped around about 2inchs on to the back) and the original plastic pins are not really that tight anymore so just pop out again.

Also as I didn't use any foam under the vinal you can see the plastic plugs through the vinal so not fully happy with them, so there not going in yet till I work out what i am going to do, am thinking checkerplate (Bit to bling)or 3mm rubber from clarks....

ImageImage
Last edited by Faolan on August 17th, 2011, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faolan
Been here a while

Unread post by Faolan » January 9th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Already posted about Fraser elsewhere but it was a great trip and Piggy didn't put a foot wrong. Only issue was the bolts falling out from the new exhaust whcih I managed to bodge up for the remainder of the trip. Gotta say that so far a load of hard work has been put in by my Brother in law and others, so Thanks!

ImageImage

Thats about up to date so from now I will post as and when I move forward with the build.

Cheers!

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » January 9th, 2011, 5:29 pm

nice work.

mudhog2
Been here a while

Unread post by mudhog2 » January 9th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Thats awesome buddy!
Goodwork