gibson24 ferozas

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Gibson24
I'm new, be nice!

gibson24 ferozas

Unread post by Gibson24 » October 11th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Hi names Harry, recently got my first project 4x4 that is 2 daihatsu ferozas with my dad.
i come from motocross and Rotaries which i still have both so this might be a slow build.
been looking around for information and kept ending up here so thought i'd join.
originally bought as just a farm paddock bomb instead of using a still pretty decent el ford falcon sedan which is useless around the farm because of the hills getting bogged.
But both my dad and i were very impressed with it and thought maybe worth doing club plates if they end up coming up nice, and still be good for the farm.
the first one was bought thought to of been seized, but it ended up turning over with a socket wrench. after a day or 2 cleaning it up i got it to fire up. ran pretty good till the white smoke started which was a blown head gasket, tried some nulon head gasket fixed which we have had success with in the past (ford xf) worked even better with the feroza. still has a getting hot issue when driving, idling it cools down pretty quickly. runs flawlessly otherwise, doesn't like cold morning start up but fine after 3 seconds.
the radiators on both cars look quite bad so been looking for a replacement but everywhere seems to of stopped making them and haven't found one yet.
did get an thermo fan just trying to work out how to wire it to the car, instructions are terrible.
i wanted to try get the overheating sorted before spending any money on the engine as ive seen that people have had the problem come back very quickly as the original problem wasn't found/fix.

I did buy a VRS gasket kit for when i rebuild it, am planning on taking the 2nd head to a machine shop next week for a crack test and maybe recondition.
was looking at getting extractors and also saw that was recommeded anyway as standard cracks.
the clutch didnt feel that good to start with but after use its pretty good now, doesn't like to select first sometimes.

plan is maybe pull engine out first, paint the engine bay (looks to have had a leaky battery and started to have surface rust)
clean everything up new engine mounts etc.
new gaskets, extractors, new belts, k&n filter.

the red car had all the dockets for servicing in the glove box which was nice for a change, noticed had alot of engine mount cracking issues and the radiator recored for like 800 bucks?
bought them from a very nice guy that had afair bit of info and spare parts for them.
white one was out in the weather for several years so bonnet rusted abit, as alittle bit of rust inside in the roof but looks like a hopefully simple repair. looks one of those seal replacement jobs that wasnt very good.
38148130_10210402342608912_1188052507432058880_o.jpg
first wash
38124930_10210403960849367_1485346286780547072_o.jpg
38204333_10210415447256520_7595606447015067648_o.jpg
connected to battery to check if it had power and everything worked.
next morning it started.

main thing i am having issue with is finding a replacment radiator preferably a aluminum 2-3 core, some sites say the rocky and feroza radiator is the same but they have different spots for the hoses? im ok with redoing the hoses or making a same/similar size rad fit. everything else i need seems to show up.

i am very new to 4x4 and yet to go to a proper spot, just been enjoying climbing hills and going through mud which seems to be no issue other than the bald rear tyres.

still trying to add photos
20180821_180255.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gibson24
I'm new, be nice!

Re: gibson24 ferozas

Unread post by Gibson24 » October 11th, 2018, 10:38 pm

IMG_20181004_002151_204.jpg
IMG_20181004_002151_200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 11th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Hi Gibson, welcome to the Forum! Great little 4wd's those Ferozas, tough as & will keep on going when other more expensive/mainstream machines have given up! :thumb:

I've probably still got some spares around the place, so drop me a pm to tell me where your home is & also the sorts of things (besides the radiator) you are after, & I'll have a look see! I know I have a clutch that might work for you, altho it might depend a little on exactly which motor you have in there, they did use a few different units! I've got a few inlet manifolds, injectors, etc floating around, some may even be a bit tweaked. Got a 'less rusty' white bonnet too, & a gearbox/transfer case assy, but I'm not sure how good the g/box is, altho trans case should be fine! As for the radiator, in stock trim, many of the Ferozas run one identical to one of the Toyota Corollas, I just can't recall what years match atm... gimme a bit & I'll track it down, or you could ask your local radiator blokes - it shouldn't take much more than a quick look for them to recognise what's in there & know which Corolla radiator it needs, once they are looking along those lines! ;)

And while we are on that, I am not alone in having tried & failed miserably to get a thermo fan to work well with the stock rad & cooling system! The OE fan in good nick with the stock shroud pulls more air than most thermo fans can suck or push thru the rad, & unless you want to significantly upgrade the radiator, shroud, & pump as well as using a seriously capable thermo fan, I doubt you'll get one working well enough to handle the high end heat load you are likely to get off roading, especially if it's low range but high revs type off roading!! :purplex: I'd stick with the OE belt driven fan & save the bucket load of $, time, & grief you'll likely waste mucking around with a thermo fan, and maybe the gaskets, heads, & engines too!

Anyhow, welcome aboard!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gibson24
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gibson24 » December 21st, 2018, 9:51 pm

HI peter, has been quite a surprise for how it was when we got it.
im pretty good for parts at the moment but i will let you know thanks. the red car is missing abit of stuff, but did have a dozen parts boxes inside it when i bought it. i was looking for another daihatsu engine for it but desided on going something different once the white ones finished.

Got the electric fan to finally work today, it is an improvement but dont think it will fix it. would like to put an aluminum 2-3 core radiator in it, been looking at a rocky one but it looks to be a fair bit longer. my dad and i are thinking just try and get one of them to fit since can find them everywhere and nothing for a feroza rad.
got the fan setup on a switch so can still turn it on and off when the car isnt running.
I put a 3 row rad in my rx7 afew years ago that used to have alot problems with the original radiator. 2nd best upgrade i did for that car. i kept the standard fan and shroud on that because its huge and works very well, both ferozas seem to be missing the shrouds. thought it was missing something.

had the other head cleaned up at shop and it was about 80% ok but valve stem seals had gone hard. they recommend taking off the head on the car and getting it checked then fix up the better one of the 2. so will probably do that early next year but would like to get the cooling issue fixed before doing any engine work.
painted the roof, thought the white not matching would look bad so just did satin black think it came up alright.

also been looking at raw shocks wondering if they are any good?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 22nd, 2018, 1:51 am

They are looking a little better than they were, & I'm glad to hear you're making progress! :thumb: Those Raw shocks might not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they certainly aren't bad & for the dollars, are quids ahead of the stock stuf & lotsa other stuff around the same price point too! ;)

Enjoy, & have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gibson24
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gibson24 » December 22nd, 2018, 11:04 am

Oh ok thanks i might keep looking.
Merry christmas and new year to you too peter

Also swapped the seats around bit more support and look alot better.

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » December 22nd, 2018, 8:25 pm

g’day Gibson
Wow the white one is looking a hell of a lot more cared for than your first pics!
Well done! No rust a bit of tread on the wheels! Windows that you can actually see through!
Regards dave

Gibson24
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gibson24 » January 18th, 2019, 10:21 pm

unfortunately theres some rust in the roof that is bad, i put some rust converter stuff on it so its no longer soft.
im pretty impressed how it has turned out, starts up first go everytime unless its abit cold it takes afew seconds longer.
painted the wheels
20190103_183718 (2).jpg
got a light bar for christmas.
20181224_171936 (2).jpg
i've also put the red car together so it looks complete on the outside but not alot of interior to put in it just the important bits.

Gibson24
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gibson24 » April 7th, 2019, 10:12 pm

pulled the head off this car, head gasket was completely ruined. fair bit of carbon build up on cylinder 3 and that was the leaky one.
took both heads to the machine shop to get new valve stem seals put on and cleaned up. they used the spare head as it was better. so nice shiny valves now.
hopefully be back running tomorrow. hope this is it for the overheating. but oil wasn't milky when i dumped it to pull it apart.

i cant seem to upload photos at the moment on here either too big or when resized error comes up.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 7th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Some have found that they can post pics if they re-size the pic after killing their Forum session completely & then logging in to a brand new session before trying with the already re-sized pic.... but that's not always the case.... :o Not sure exactly what the problem is, but the IT guys are aware & they have already had a couple of tries with the usual culprits, altho it seems that's not fixed it yet - well, not completely anyway! :irked:

Are you still chasing any Interior bits for those Ferozas? I've found some gear that I didn't remember I still had - door cards, elec window switches, even some radiator shrouds and both an A/c heat exch & a heater assy. Front A/C radiator too, plus a few engine bits, inlet manifold with injectors, electric components & bits & pieces. Gimme a yell via pm f you need any of that sorta stuff. ;)

Ps: and I've got a pretty good white bonnet too - all it needs is a Feroza to hold it up! :sillywink:

Gibson24
I'm new, be nice!

Re: gibson24 feroza

Unread post by Gibson24 » April 7th, 2019, 11:17 pm

oh ok hopefully find it then.

i think i am good for parts at the moment but i will let you know if i do for sure. im sure i'll find something or break something in winter.
surprisingly where it sat for 10 years the car is still good inside, did stink a fair bit but a good clean and glen 20 fixed that.
i may need a radiator shroud but i think i will have to change the radiator to something else if the getting hot continues.

i was thinking of doing up the red car as a project but its just a parts car now for the white one. white one wont be registered now, had the rust looked at and its not and easy and expensive fix. :(
its perfect for what i need it for as is though and will be used alot so hopefully can get it reliable. started to sometimes be able to drive it for about 30-40 minutes before it started to hot. but also it would always cool down if it sat and idled for afew minutes.

Gibson24
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gibson24 » April 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUnX1EHUwAc

first start up, its running pretty good still getting hot though even took the thermostat out still a problem.
with original fan and electric fan

no more check engine light

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”