What would make the trailer brake fuse keep blowing?

Travelpro
Here and there

What would make the trailer brake fuse keep blowing?

Unread post by Travelpro » August 2nd, 2018, 8:11 am

Any idea what would be causing my 15 amp trailer brakes blade fuse to keep blowing?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: What would make the trailer brake fuse keep blowing?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 2nd, 2018, 11:00 am

Does it blow the fuse as soon as you connect the trailer plug, or does it wait until you press the brake pedal or turn the lights on??
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Travelpro
Here and there

Unread post by Travelpro » August 3rd, 2018, 7:23 am

I’m not sure Peter, but I think it happens when I press the brake pedal.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 3rd, 2018, 10:09 am

How good are you with operating a multimeter? If it blows when you press the brake pedal, it's most likely going to be a short or wiring error in that particular circuit. If you haven't used this trailer on your vehicle without this problem before, then it might be worthwhile to check your trailer plug wiring first, just to make sure the wiring matches & isn't the cause of the problem. But if it's not that, then sorry, it's probably time to pull out the multimeter & start checking every wire & circuit, starting with the brakes! :o
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Travelpro
Here and there

Unread post by Travelpro » August 3rd, 2018, 1:49 pm

Thanks Peter, I'll check the wiring and get out the multimeter>

Return to “12v and Electrical”