recommend a 240v battery charger

cruiserclint
Here and there

recommend a 240v battery charger

Unread post by cruiserclint » January 13th, 2018, 9:38 pm

i need a new battery for the boat which runs a minn kota electric motor. i have my eye on a 130Ah giant AGM battery. i also need a new mains powered battery charger for the shed to charge this battery and others.

can you recommend a charger that will charge the AGM properly? the quicker the better too. it would be good to be able to charge quickly between fishing trips. is there a more suitable battery than the giant?

cruiserclint
Here and there

Re: recommend a 240v battery charger

Unread post by cruiserclint » January 14th, 2018, 8:58 am

any recommendations?

i see there are 949 views on the newest 4 threads on this subforum but no replies. come on folks lend a hand to those in need.

axlcorro
Here and there

Unread post by axlcorro » January 25th, 2018, 10:03 am

ctek mxs10

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 25th, 2018, 11:55 am

I can second the CTEK recommendation, or you could visit a Battery World or similar outlet & see what they recommend for whichever battery you end up with....

As for the battery itself, a good quality AGM is going to be high on the list, altho as you've found, they get big & heavy fairly quickly!! Often, you can get the same or even better output from a spiral wound battery with a smaller foot-print; they are not usually any lighter tho, frequently being somewhat heavier in the same physical size, but they do usually provide a whole lotta grunt & use the same AGM technology, just with the addition of spiral wound plates so they can stuff more reaction mass into the same basic box!! Generally cost more too, but that's because of that greater mass thing & will be the same with anything!!

Maybe while you are in the 'still deciding' stages, you should also consider that if you are ever planning on going remote or even just heading further than you might like to row back, it probably wouldn't hurt to set yourself up with a battery & charging system that can handle solar panel input. Not all battteries thrive on solar charging or re-charging, and not all charging systems or set-ups lend themselves to readily using solar panels as a power source - but there are a variety of products & set-ups out there that can make adding a solar panel or three quite possible & worthwhile, so if you are ever considering or even already planning going that far out/away, it might be smart to think about getting compatible batteries &/or systems up front?!? Now, do you really need to ask me how I know that?! :o :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “12v and Electrical”