Expert advice please - how does this wiring diagram look?

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Expert advice please - how does this wiring diagram look?

Unread post by the-viking » June 11th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Experts Advice please.

I currently have 3 x 6" 36w LED lights. 1 x Drivers side - 1 x Passenger side and 1 x Reverse. The switches for these are all over the place. I'm not running Relays on these lights as I have rated switches and wiring to handle.
Time for a tidy up though.
I've just fitted a 42" 560w (80 x 7w CREE LED's) CREE LED Light Bar across the front and of course will be running this through a Relay. Time to wire up. I'm making my own switch pod and I'll be using 4 x ARB dual led rocker switches.
If anyone in the 'know how' could take a squiz at my diagram to let me know whether I've either nailed it, am forgetting something or whatever... Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Expert advice please - how does this wiring diagram look

Unread post by mydmax » June 11th, 2017, 9:36 pm

The power to switch on the relay coil for the lighbar should originate from the high beam circuitry so when you dip it shuts off the light bar. Illegal to have a switch for the lightbar without that.
Therefore the link supplying power to each 36w lamp switch, should bypass that light bar switch.
Other than that it looks ok to me.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » June 12th, 2017, 7:45 am

thanks mydmax.

Putting aside legalities just for the moment, temporarily if you will, ;) does this diagram then work? ......... and just checking, the fuse sizes I've mentioned, all good?

Now including the legal requirement this time, does this make sense? I already have a set of 100w Lightforce lights wired up correctly.
Can I?:
1. Find the High Beam wire the driving lights are using and tap into that?
OR
2. Get a piggy back fuse holder and go from the 'High Beam' in fuse box???
3. Suggestions.....

Finally, so I have this right in my head. Is the basic difference between the Light Bar being directly wired, as opposed to being wired to the High Beam circuitry, the fact that the switch is getting it's power supply from the H/B circuitry and not direct from the battery? :crazy:

Imagethanks again. :thumb:

:)

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » June 12th, 2017, 11:24 pm

That circuit looks as though it will work well. Having the LED bar relay's coil feed from the high beam and through the switch just makes it legal.

If you wanted the lightbar to be on independent of the high beam wire being ON, you could add a single pole double throw (PSDT) switch in the feed to the relay coil. It would then switch the High beam wire to the coil or isolate it and switching that SPDT switch the other side would connect a direct live battery feed to the relay coil. Best of both worlds.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » June 13th, 2017, 7:06 am

Ok, cool. I thought I was on the right path. What was throwing me was other diagrams were drawn with the tapped in High Beam wire running directly to #86 on the relay, which is in fact correct if you weren't including a cut-off switch as is with my set up. It was just a visual thing lol. However I have seen one diagram where the bloke has included a diode and fuse at the beginning of the tapped in H/B wire. Is this necessary? Havnt seen others include it and my Lightforce lights don't appear to have this. They're just tapped straight into the wire.

Final questions........ for now anyway is ;
1. What wire sizes to use? I already have black and red @ 4mm 15amp.
2. Any extra precautions to concider seeing as though this light bar is a 560w light bar? 560 / 12 = 46.66666Amps?

thanks for your help btw. :thumb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “12v and Electrical”