Connected reverse camera, now Reverse lights won't work?

staunchlux
Here and there

Connected reverse camera, now Reverse lights won't work?

Unread post by staunchlux » April 27th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Hey Guys,
I've got a 2014 dmax and recently have had a reverse camera installed & connected to a pioneer head unit.
It all went well for about a week, but now I've lost my reverse lights. The camera is switched from what looks to be an empty loom up under the glove box that has a wire that powers up when reverse is selected. They have spliced into it near the empty plug (maybe that plug is used on higher spec models or something?)
Now when reverse is selected, the camera is still powering up and working fine, but my lights aren't working any more. A while ago I did trace the reverse light wire back to under my bonnet and found it powering up perfectly (where the lighting loom connects to the plug in the fuse box under the bonnet) now, if I test at that same point it doesn't power up. So there's apparently no juice at all on my reverse light circuit. And I can't seem to find a reverse light fuse anywhere??

Does anyone have any insight on why its lost power and how to get it back?
Ive tested all fuses and they're good. There are no fuses labelled Reverse light or anything. Any info on where to test or what to try would be appreciated.
Thanks

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Connected reverse camera, now Reverse lights won't work?

Unread post by mydmax » April 29th, 2017, 9:12 am

Is the splice they used one of those wonderful scotch loks? If so it has probably cut the wire strands and then movement has broken the rest of the stands rendering things inoperative.
Anyone who uses scotch loks should have their bums kicked for poor practices.

Scotch Loks are only used by people who can't or won't be bothered to do it properly.

staunchlux
Here and there

Unread post by staunchlux » May 3rd, 2017, 5:45 pm

No it's all soldered and heat shrunk. I don't know what's going on, I don't even know where it's fused. I have a tail light fuse I assume all tail lights run off of it, and fuse tests fine. I'm thinking there must be something in near the auto lever that is switched when reverse is selected & mustn't be switching. I'll have more time to investigate properly tomorrow.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » May 8th, 2017, 12:13 pm

I would guess the unused loom is for the reverse camera on the higher spec models but have never heard about it before.
Have you checked the fuses under the right side of the dash as well as those under the bonnet?

Return to “12v and Electrical”