waeco CFX50 not turning on below about 13v

cruiserclint
Here and there

waeco CFX50 not turning on below about 13v

Unread post by cruiserclint » April 25th, 2017, 12:55 pm

just packed it into the 4x4 for a trip to find it won't turn on and run unless the engine is going and after the redarc links the batteries. with the engine off the voltage is about 12.5v but it won't work. the voltage cut out setting on the fridge is set at low.
works on 240v fine. needs about 13v before it will turn on and run.

this renders it an esky for all but when the engine is running.

any ideas?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: waeco CFX50 not turning on below about 13v

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 25th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Did you try setting the voltage cut-out switch to any of the other settings?? I've seen a few Waeco's with dodgy switches; sometimes the 'setting they are always on' dies & now won't let the fridge start/work properly anymore, but using one of the other settings lets the fridge still work fine!? :crazy:

Not sure why or how, but it might make a difference for the duration of your trip - then you can get it sorted properly once you get back... :thumb:

Good Luck ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cruiserclint
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserclint » April 25th, 2017, 6:12 pm

i'll try that.
while investigating the problem i found that the 12v plug connection where it plugs into the fridge has a voltage drop of about .5-1v! that difference was measured at the male end of the plug and the back of the connection on the bottom of the fridge. after running for a little while i unplugged it and noticed it was hot. i cut the end off the fridge lead and bypassed that connection with my own connection.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » April 25th, 2017, 7:54 pm

I have an earlier Waeco around 30 litre. It's plug got very hot and did similar.
I cured it by using multigrips on the plug itself to squeeze the flat spade connectors which are in the plastic, so they were a very tight fit on the base pins. Then the current didn't heat the plug and no loss was evident. A hard wiring with a small dedicated Anderson plug might be more reliable.

Return to “12v and Electrical”