Ctek d250s turning itself on & off! Anything I can do/check?

000dylan000
Here and there

Ctek d250s turning itself on & off! Anything I can do/check?

Unread post by 000dylan000 » April 9th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Hi all,
I have an issue with my d250s and I will attempt to explain it in some form of understandable way.
The d250s keeps turning on and off. It might work fine for 30 mins or so but will then start switching on and off. The isolator and aux battery are in the tray of the ute. The voltage at the main battery stays at around 13.5v (which I thought was a bit low). When the isolator is off, the input voltage into the isolator in the tray is around 13.4. When it turns on, first the green power light comes on, then the orange alternator light, then the orange aux battery light. As soon as the unit switches on, the input voltage from the main battery drops to about 12.7 and over the space of about 10 seconds, continues to drop to about 12.2v, at which point the unit switches off, reboots and the process starts again. As soon as the d250s switches off, the input voltage in the back of the ute coming from the main battery instantly goes back up to around 13.4v

Is there any things I can check before I start replacing things. I'm heading to Fraser in a weeks time and would like it sorted by then.

I know I've made it clear as mud but it's hard to explain without showing someone.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Ctek d250s turning itself on & off! Anything I can do/ch

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 9th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Have you load tested both batteries?? It sorta sounds like the main battery is either getting a bit tired or it's got a dying cell or two that only drop out under load?!?

Could be other things, like a poor earth, dodgy terminal connections, lightweight or kinked/broken wiring etc, but I'd try load testing all your batteries first - how old are they??!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

000dylan000
Here and there

Unread post by 000dylan000 » April 10th, 2017, 6:47 am

Hi Peter
The starter battery is only about 3 months old. I have tried two different Batteries in the back. One is an AGM that is about 3 years old. The other is a GEL that is only 3 months old as well but was in my caravan and was drained completely by accident (was down at around 6.5v) so I'm not sure if that would have damaged it.
I will take all 3 batteries to get load tested today and go from there.

Thanks very much for your help!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 10th, 2017, 8:47 am

Taking ANY battery down much below 12v will shorten its life, going lower than about 11v or so pretty much kills them, even if you manage to get them charged back up above 12v again! :o

Load testing is a good place to start. :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

000dylan000
Here and there

Unread post by 000dylan000 » April 14th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Thanks for the replies!
Both batteries were OK. The one that was drained to 6v lasted 208 minutes on the cycle test. Not ideal for a brand new battery but not totally stuffed. Turns out the problem was a dodgy circuit breaker between the main battery and the isolator. When put under load it would start restricting voltage for some reason. Changed it to a fuse on the advice of an auto electrician and now everything works fine.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 15th, 2017, 9:54 am

Did that dodgy circuit breaker start to get hot?? I wonder how/why it was causing such a load restriction without throwing??

000dylan000
Here and there

Unread post by 000dylan000 » April 25th, 2017, 7:36 am

I'm actually not too sure mate. It was in a bit of a hard to get to place so I never actually felt it to see if it was hot.

I was just over at Fraser for 8 days with no dramas so the fuse definitely fixed the problem as it was the only thing I changed.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 25th, 2017, 8:35 am

Dontcha just love it when things work like they should! :thumb:

Glad you had a good trip to Fraser, a trip that wasn't upset by battery charging issues! ;)

Return to “12v and Electrical”