SOLAR PANEL not providing enough power to run fridge?

axlcorro
Here and there

SOLAR PANEL not providing enough power to run fridge?

Unread post by axlcorro » March 29th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Hi, I've just got my new 160 watt portable solar panel today from the supercenter, I followed the instructions and connected the anderson plug from the solar panel to the anderson plug which goes to my 50ltr Waeco fridge). The fridge lights flicker on and off and the compressor can hardly be heard at all, usually I can hear the compressor going. I hope someone may have an answer, I've tried calling 4wd supacentre but I can't get through, I hope someone can help me please. THANKS IN ADVANCE

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: SOLAR PANEL PROBLEM

Unread post by mydmax » March 29th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Do you have a battery in that circuit too.

You can't run a fridge just off a solar panel, especially if it has no regulator on the panel.

Plain panel voltage with no regulator fitted will stuff up almost any fridge in a very short time.

A battery MUST be used as it is what the fridge runs off, and the solar panel and some voltage regulator must be there to charge the battery correctly.

Do you really have a solar panel problem or don't understand what items are needed for a fridge operation?

axlcorro
Here and there

Re: SOLAR PANEL not providing enough power to run fridge?

Unread post by axlcorro » March 29th, 2017, 2:47 pm

i may have stuffed up, i thought i could run straight from solar panel, no battery. i will connect to battery 2nd battery then to fridge. PS please dont laugh I'm a butcher and have no electrical knowlege at all. thanks for the advice. it did have a regulator on the panel

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 29th, 2017, 3:13 pm

If you try and run straight from a regulated panel, the fridge will get power but the regulator is a pulse type of delivery to the load, usually a battery, always a battery.
Panel direct, no reg, may run the fridge but voltage applied to fridge may be far too high as mentioned AND when the fridge switches off it's circuitry is still awake and using the panel voltage direct, so that may jump up to far higher than the fridge can tolerate.
If panel/reg directly to the fridge, the fridge will be getting a square wave of + pulses from the panel and regulator and fridge will not know what to do with that supply voltage jumping from nothing to around 14v all the time. The fridge circuitry will be very confused and not know what to do.

SO, solar panel to regulator, preferrably regulator as close to battery as is possible and the solar charge goes into the battery, the battery charge/power is what the fridge then uses. For best solar return/harvest into battery the cable from the panel to the reg and to the battery should be fairly thick, ie recognized solar charge cable and not a thin 2 wire jobbie.

If you are using the system often and for vehicle use it is best to have the ciggy plug removed and an anderson plug fitted and one from the battery to supply the fridge. Ciggy plugs notoriously work loose, get hot and burn out, leaving no fridge operating. I, like many people, run two fridges, fridge and freezer and they are anderson plugged for integrity of connection.

axlcorro
Here and there

Unread post by axlcorro » March 29th, 2017, 5:26 pm

thanks again, i really appreciate your knowledgeable answer.

Return to “12v and Electrical”