Hilux front indicator won't work, globe & pwr OK? Ideas?

gmhgq
Here and there

Hilux front indicator won't work, globe & pwr OK? Ideas?

Unread post by gmhgq » November 28th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Hi all,
On My 08 hilux the right hand front indicator packed it in for some reason, The unit has power all the way to the bulb centre contact,(Tested with testlight) the bulb works fine, but no go.
Any suggestions please :urgh:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Hilux front indicator won't work, globe & pwr OK? Ideas?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 28th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Have you checked the earth on the fitting itself? Or the earth wire in the RH Ind light circuit? Or maybe the flasher can? It's likely to be something simple like that if you've got power & a working globe, but still no light.... :purplex:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » November 29th, 2016, 5:46 am

Get yourself a cheap $20 multimeter as this will show more detail as to what is going on, such as what voltage is present at the connection, the resistance of the earth bonding etc etc.
A cheap one works fine for most automotive applications because most of the time you are only checking for a rough 12v or either open circuit or closed circuit wiring.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » November 30th, 2016, 1:54 am

Top up the blinker fluid, and check the wiring loom smoke hasn't escaped!.

If you have Halogen globes however, make sure you get the fully synthetic Blinker fluid not the normal blinker fluid. :lol:

gmhgq
Here and there

Unread post by gmhgq » November 30th, 2016, 5:21 pm

thanks guys, will check those things.

gmhgq
Here and there

Unread post by gmhgq » December 1st, 2016, 6:03 pm

Definitely need to get some of that blinker fluid.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 2nd, 2016, 10:22 am

I dunno gmhgq, I reckon it's probably the smoke!! :purplex:

In my experience, it's bloody hard to get any electrical gear working once someone's let the bleedin' smoke out, and have you ever seen how bloody hard it is getting that smoke back in where it belongs?? :boggle: I've seen enough & tried to stuff the smoke back in often enough to know that nowdays, I'd much rather prefer holding the bloody cat still while someone's poking butter up its bum with a red hot knitting needle!! :petrified: And I can assure you, that particular job is something I NEVER do by choice or without extreme provocation!! :irked:

:p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 2nd, 2016, 1:50 pm

If you use a syringe and small needle, (Flog one off a druggie, plenty lying around), you can inject the replacement smoke or fluid in between the unaffected wire and the insulation. If the same fault is still there upon electrical reconnection, then copious amounts of smoke will reappear if you missed it first time and the problem area quickly diagnosed.
Simple really.

gmhgq
Here and there

Unread post by gmhgq » December 14th, 2016, 5:32 pm

All fixed. It was the indicator unit.
thanks for the tips

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 15th, 2016, 8:05 am

If one flasher wasn't working then it cannot be the flasher unit. Fiddling with the light unit probably fixed the faulty earthing which would then work. If also replacing the flasher unit at the same time might then give the impression the new flasher unit fixed the problem.

Return to “12v and Electrical”