Automotive Cable, is it necessary?

Sedro
I'm new, be nice!

Automotive Cable, is it necessary?

Unread post by Sedro » November 1st, 2016, 11:10 pm

Hey guys,

ive recently bought an old 4.2 patrol and have had many issues electrically. To the point were ive decided to rip the whole loom out and make my own. Theres not much to them and knowing exactly what does what will be a big help in the future. Being an electrician by trade i have a lot of pvc panel wire available and was just wondering if this would be fine to use or is there something im missing with this so called automotive cable?

Cheers

Sedro
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Automotive Cable, is it necessary?

Unread post by Sedro » November 1st, 2016, 11:14 pm

Oh if panel wire makes no sense i simple mean the aluminium flex you find in almost all your industrial panels and switchboards

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 2nd, 2016, 10:51 am

I'd guess that the major reason automotive wiring gets identified differently to any other stuff & is then used as much as it is used in motor vehicles is that it's able to stand up to the engine & driving vibrations & any flexing that imposes in potentially quite hot conditions (or cold) without losing too much voltage carrying capacity to increasing resistance - after all, as cars have become lighter & more technically advanced, the wiring has tended to become smaller & lighter & is now often used to operate more than just one item (cab-bus design/technology).

So if your panel wiring is up to handling 12 hours or so of the heat under the bonnet with a hard working engine on a bloody hot day in the Simpson Desert in high summer as the vehicle (& wiring) gets tossed around mercilessly on the spinnifex humps & sand dunes, then it will probably be OK - but you might want to check the specs! ;)

Be interested in knowing the answer tho!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 2nd, 2016, 7:06 pm

House electrical wiring is hardly suitable for a vehicle. Flex is needed.

No way would I make my own unless absolutely necessary.
They are not simple as you stated. I have wired electronic injected engine into a number of vehicles and had to find/trace and modify looms to suit. Some had to have electronic speed sensing wired to speedo heads etc.

You may understand vehicle systems ok but many electricians do not. Most mechanics in the automotive trade don't understand much about vehicle wiring.
However, if you have worked on an old International truck where every wire in the vehicle is yellow, you do learn to trace bits and pieces reasonably well.

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » February 16th, 2017, 6:07 am

Mate strip back you panel wire. count the cores. strip back a piece of automtoive wire of the the mm2 and do the same. From my very limited experience the automotive cable has more strands and is more flexible. Check the packaging for the type of insulation on both and for temp rating. It might be acceptable to use. i know guys that have used flex HV cable to wire up Dual batteries without a problem.
92 HDJ80 Gturbo safari FMI 2" lift ICON 2.5 piggyback shocks, 3"XFORCE exhaust. GONE
97 HDJ80 40th Anniversary.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

Return to “12v and Electrical”