Get a Custom Alum Roof Rack cage or brand name alloy?

Bruosk
Here and there

Get a Custom Alum Roof Rack cage or brand name alloy?

Unread post by Bruosk » November 30th, 2016, 6:25 pm

I thought about a custom made aluminum roofrack to keep the weight down as much as possible due to the 100kg roof load limit.

But from what I can gather the alloy brands like rhino are the same thing give or take a few kgs. Although I don't know how much they weigh. Someone said the bigger ones feel like 20kg.

Given the much bigger cost of a custom job, I think the rhino alloy is a better choice.
Do you agree.

Do the brand name alloy roofracks deteriorate at all in appearance & structural strength?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Get a Custom Alum Roof Rack cage or brand name alloy?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 11th, 2016, 8:11 am

At least with a Rhino Rack you'll know the rating/weight capability & how much it's going to weigh before you pass over the $$, plus they 've done a heap of testing so you run less risk of 'discovering' a weakness or design failure somewhere along the Anne Beadell or in the middle of the Canning!! My $$ would go towards the Rhino Rack! :thumb:

As for 'deteriorating in appearance & structural strength' over time, just like anything else exposed to the weather, anything on your roof or the outside of your vehicle WILL begin to look a little 'weather-beaten' over time unless you regularly clean & maintain them.... Even the best & most expensive pieces of kit will, so it's up to you to decide how 'smart' you want it to look, & possibly how much wear you'll impose upon it by all that polishing!! :sillywink: Mind you, the better brand name jobbies are usually clear coated so they stay shiny & don't corrode; while many of the custom jobbies rely on the 'normal' oxidisation of the surface alloy to form a protective layer or skin & thereby reduce further corrosion & weakening over time - so if you keep on polishishing either of those protective coatings off.... :0
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Body and Barwork”