BT50 Chassis Repair from Rear End Accident

badmotorfinger
I'm new, be nice!

BT50 Chassis Repair from Rear End Accident

Unread post by badmotorfinger » April 26th, 2016, 10:31 am

I got rear ended by a Toyota Kluger on the Thursday before easter. Was a big hit at about 60kmh. The Kluger was a mess but the BT50 held up pretty well to the amazement of the other driver. Problem was the towbar took all the impact and I now have a bent chassis.

My original repairer did not discover the extant of the damage until he was stripping it and was not comfortable attempting repair. NRMA have towed to another smash repair who will be putting it on the rack and straightening it.

My concern is given that these dual cab utes already have problems with chassis bending under load. Will the repair really be as strong as original? They state it has a life time guarantee but I can imagine if I ever have a problem they will say it just due to overloading (as per standard dual cab problems) and has nothing to do with repair.

Is the vehicle likely to have other problems due to absorbing such a large hit? It certainly scared the crap out of me and the car would not start after the impact although did start by the time we got to smash repairers. Any advice as to best way forward would be appreciated.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Re: BT50 Chassis Repair from Rear End Accident

Unread post by Shann Low » April 26th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Maybe I am wrong, but I THOUGHT that bent chassis was an automatic statutory non repairable write off by the insurance assessor?

That's probably because of designed crumple rates built into chassis these days for deployment of air bags etc.

I can understand that it its a ute with little obvious damage to the rear - that an insurer might want to just repair the rear part of the chassis that really only supports the tray anyway & doesn't affect passenger/occupant safety the way that the crumple zone at the front does... - from a cost point of view.

Interesting one... keen to see how this works out for you.

Maybe ask someone at RAC or something if it shouldn't be a statutory non repairable write off with bent chassis?.

Keep us informed how you get on please.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: BT50 Chassis Repair from Rear End Accident

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 2nd, 2016, 2:38 pm

badmotorfinger wrote:..... these dual cab utes already have problems with chassis bending under load. Will the repair really be as strong as original? They state it has a life time guarantee but I can imagine if I ever have a problem they will say it just due to overloading (as per standard dual cab problems) and has nothing to do with repair.

Is the vehicle likely to have other problems due to absorbing such a large hit? ......
The 'stat write-off' thing depends very much on the State & what its particular rules are..... Checking with your local Road Assoc is a very good idea! ;)

But if it is repairable & they are going ahead with fixing your car, just talk to the repairer!! If you explain your concerns, maybe even discuss strengthening the chassis in those places most often bent or damaged on other D/cabs, you should be able to make a more informed decision on what you want to happen & maybe even come to some arrangement with them that'll minimise the bending risk for later on.... If you don't do that or something like it/along those lines, there's still a very good chance that you will never know the answers to the questions you asked above, simply because most repairs by reputable repairers never have any troubles down track. Then again, if you do have troubles, wouldn't you feel a little miffed that you had an opportunity to maybe do something about it but didn't bother??? :o

Talk to the repairer, it might be a lot easier to sort than you think! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Body and Barwork”