After Service oil leak from filter - what gives?

Panooch87
Getting to know the place

After Service oil leak from filter - what gives?

Unread post by Panooch87 » February 15th, 2018, 1:42 am

Hey lads

I just serviced my 76 series for the first time

Just dropped the oil at 6k

I replaced the oil filter and put the new 0 ring back on the cannister filter with a little bit of oil on the o ring to help it seal

I topped Her up with the new oil and went for a short drive after checking the oil levels

When I returned home I noticed a very small amount of oil leaking from the oil filter housing, I could just wipe it off with my finger

The sump plug is fine nice and secure with a new washer

Why is it leaking? Is it bad ? Help me someone I love my pride and joy lol

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: After Service oil leak from filter - what gives?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 15th, 2018, 8:41 am

Did you carefully clean all the old oil off the filter seat on the block before installing the new filter Panooch?? That's often why there's a little bit of oil dribbling apparent after a filter change, and if that's all it is, you won't need to worry too much - just wipe it off & check it again in a couple of days.

It might not hurt to (gently) tighten the filter a tiny bit more by hand, just to make sure it's cinched up tight, but tighten too much & you could damage or flex the O ring so it doesn't seal properly! And that leak could also be cos you have already done that or cos there was enough dirty stuff left on the sealing face that it IS leaking a tiny amount. Still, while it's only drops, it's probably safe just to keep an eye on it, clean the drips off regularly, & check the oil level (which you should do daily anyway!!) & top up as & when needed! But DO NOT over-fill the sump to cater for the little bit of oil loss that might happen!! Having your oil level go a little below Full is not a problem - in fact, your engine is fairly safe just so long as the level is kept above the Add or Low mark - but fill it just a little bit too much over the High or Full mark & the piston skirts could start slapping into the oil in the sump on every rotation & that can be BAAAAD!! Engine destroying bad!! So DO NOT OVER-FILL your oil level!! A fraction over is generally OK, but you really don't want to risk more than say 5mm high on the dipstick, especially if you drive in steep terrain where the oil level will surge from end to end & side to side in the sump.... an engine that's thrashed itself to death in too much oil is pretty much a total throw away!! And if a diesel engine starts pumping oil into a combustion chamber, the 'run-on to destruction' can be pretty terrifying as well as dangerous!! Dodging piston sized lumps of metal travelling at hundreds of kph as they explode out of the block is not my idea of fun!!

So just wipe the dribble off & check again in a day or two! If it's still dribbling a drip or two then, try gently tightening it a touch more by hand, but if that doesn't work over a week or two, you might need to back off the filter, clean the O ring & seat, & then re-tighten to spec.... Or fit a new filter! Filters are cheaper than new engines! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Panooch87
Getting to know the place

Re: After Service oil leak from filter - what gives?

Unread post by Panooch87 » February 16th, 2018, 3:26 am

Firstly thanks peter for taking your time to share your knowledge with me mate

I read this post much earlier but couldn't respond cos I was busy

Since the post and reading your reply. I have been monitoring the oil leak near the filter and it's becoming less and less after each trip I should know by the weekend if the filter has a malfunction.

I was a bit worried I over filled her but I'm not getting black smoke at all

When I check the dip stick it's sometimes right on full then sometimes about 2cm above it ....starting to think it's the way and removING the drip stick from the engine...

Thanks for the reply mate good karma coming your way 👍

Return to “Engine and Driveline”