60 series rear end in fj45 - why won't it centre properly?

Benny1984
I'm new, be nice!

60 series rear end in fj45 - why won't it centre properly?

Unread post by Benny1984 » December 29th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Hey guys im currently putting a 60 series rear diff in my fj45 after a 60 5 speed conversion. Ive centered it as best as i know how, however there's a slight angle from the gearbox end to the new rear end ie its not plumb from front to back, i need some advice on were i may be going wrong
Cheers 👍

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 60 series rear end in fj45 - why won't it centre properly?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 29th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Have you looked at both ends to see if you can identify exactly where the problem may be?? Just one dodgy or misaligned engine mount, or something like a deteriorating transfer case/gearbox mount on the cross member might give you enough sag one way or another to skew things & misalign them enough to be noticeable & bothersome.... :purplex:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Benny1984
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Benny1984 » December 30th, 2017, 8:32 am

Thanks mate yeah checked it all front to back, when i took the original diff out everything was plumb, so i pushed the new diff across 5 or so mil to plumb up the tailshaft with the box n its seems to be sticking out abit on the passenger side 🤔

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 30th, 2017, 3:46 pm

It's still all leaf sprung suspension isn't it?? Lifting a coil suspension vehicle with a fixed length panhard rod fitted will drag the body across to one side, but leaves, lifted or otherwise, shouldn't do that.... :confused:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » December 30th, 2017, 9:30 pm

many vehicle have the diff centre offset to one side a little ( up to 40mm on a Transit I had) and It does not seem to affect the tailshaft. - the tailshaft is designed to run at offset angles and it doesn't matter if those offset angles are up and down or a little left or right. It is important, tho to ensure the wheels are aligned and equal distance from the chassis rails for proper tracking and articulation, and that the centrebolts are in good condition and properly located. . . . all assuming that the spring perches are the same distance apart on each diff off course!!

Return to “Engine and Driveline”