Performance 1hdt rebuild - what to do, who to do it?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Performance 1hdt rebuild - what to do, who to do it?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 31st, 2017, 7:20 am

Looks impressive :thumb: And like a whole lotta work has gone into it, the finish is pretty smooth & shiny - all you gotta do now is wait to see what difference it makes once it's all back together again & working!! :D

You gonna lap all those valve seats too?? :confused:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » March 31st, 2017, 6:27 pm

The machinists can worry about that. Hopefully there won't be much to do.it is brand new so I would expect there to be something to be done.

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » May 16th, 2017, 8:33 am

The donk is done. Few picks added. Like most rebuilds you can't see the workmanship that's gone into it but the guys at ADS have done a really good job and are really good to work with. If your after a tune I would recommend them. They do a lot of Gturbo stuff and have good results. Time to finally get the beast back on the road. Needs to go to the panel beaters after I get it running thanks to my two year old reversing into a tree!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » September 20th, 2017, 11:50 am

The dyno run was good. Minor tweak needed as afr's were a bit rich with only 18lb-20lb boost. Added a bit extra and running nicely. Major restriction still with the standard air box but that's being sorted. I'm not sure if I'll up the fuel after the run in period as it drives nicely and could easily make 200hp. More fuel=more heat=more stress=more breakages/less reliability=break downs and more money. I'll quit while I'm ahead and happy. :thumb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » September 20th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Nice work, quite the build
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » January 14th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Hi all. Just a quick update. My 80 has a 5 speed manual. I upgraded the clutch to a 800nm NPC clutch while the motor was out. It cost $800. The next option was $1600 but this included a new flywheel to suit and was rated to 1300nm of torque.

My clutch is now slipping and as per the dyno I’m making 700+ nm at the wheels. I should have gone the next one up but I’m a tight rse.

So I have two options: wind the fuel back a bit or upgrade again. Will most likely just wind the fuel back.

FYI these things are making so much grunt and that’s only at 180hp. If you considering going the Gturbo and have a manual box, don’t stuff around and spend the money on the HD NPC clutch.

On a side note the steep hill going to yarrabah near cairns I can hold 5th gear 100kmh (but slipping) while the new 200 series is back to about 50kmh flat out. The 80 with an auto would be a weapon.

1640hunter
Here and there

Unread post by 1640hunter » January 14th, 2018, 7:59 pm

wow, sounds nice. Should be though! So you're saying it puts stock 200 series to shame? And you could be getting more? Graeme (Gturbo) reckons 180rwhp is easy I guess... What sort of fuel economy are you getting on long runs not towing?

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Unread post by mad_mat222 » January 22nd, 2018, 11:18 pm

Hi,
Acceleration wise off the mark, the 200 will eat me because it’s auto, I’m manual and also my diff gearing is to low imho, but in 4th and 5th gear yeah the 80 will eat it. And I’m not even close to full fuel. If you upgrade a few things it’s ridiculous the amount of torque. You also need to throw a far bit intercooling to go much past this point. Fuel is not flash and still close to stock 14-16lph I think.

Return to “Engine and Driveline”